What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in Armidale

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta UNE Training Camp

[source: www.parraeels.com.au] on Monday 30 Jan 2012 23:20

http://www.addthis.com/feed.php
The Pirtek Parramatta Eels will travel to Armidale tomorrow for a four-day training camp at the University of New England, one of the Club's major partners for 2012.

The camp will be the team's first chance to utilise UNE's state of the art altitude training and sports science facilities, and connect with the Club's regional supporter base.

With more than 2,000 of UNE's distance education students based in Parramatta territory, this week's camp kicks off a joint effort between the Eels and UNE to develop tertiary education pathways for the people of western Sydney.

Tuesday 31 January
9.55am - Arrival at Armidale Airport
4pm-5.30pm - Armidale Civic Reception @ Armidale Mall

Wednesday 1 February
9am - Training session, Sport UNE Fields
4.45pm - Junior Coaching Clinic, Harris Park

Thursday 2 February
10.15am - Training session, Sport UNE Fields
6pm - Sport UNE Function, Ex-Services Club

Friday 3 February
9am - Depart for Sydney, Armidale Airport

Gronk

Staff member
Cayless MC at "Dinner with the Eels'

30 Jan, 2012 03:17 PM
Nathan Cayless, who captained the Parramatta Eels in 217 National Rugby League games between 2000 and 2010, will be Master of Ceremonies at Armidale’s Dinner with the Eels on Thursday.The dinner, at Armidale Ex-Services Memorial Club, will be one of the occasions when members of the public will have the opportunity to meet Eels players during the team’s pre-season training camp at the University of New England (UNE).
The Eels will arrive in Armidale tomorrow, and the training camp will run until Friday.
Nathan Cayless, who is now corporate sales manager for the Eels, played with the team from January 1996 to October 2010. Internationally, he played with the New Zealand national Rugby League team between 1998 and 2009, captaining the team when it won the World Cup in 2008.
Speaking of his career as a rugby league player, he said ‘I was fortunate to have lived out my dream’.
Some tickets to have dinner with the Eels are still obtainable by ringing the Ex-Services Club on 6776-0800.
UNE is a jersey sponsor of the Eels this year and, in conjunction with Armidale Dumaresq Council, is sponsoring the team’s visit to the region.
There will be a civic reception for the team members in the Armidale Mall tomorrow between 4pm and 5.30pm, and the Eels will conduct a free junior coaching clinic from 5pm to 6.30pm at Harris Park on Wednesday.
Spectators will be welcome at the team’s open training sessions at Sport UNE, beginning at 8.45am on Wednesday 9.45am on Thursday.
n For more information, contact Ben Bible at Sport UNE on 6773-5186, or e-mail Sport UNE: sportune@une.edu.au.
http://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/n...yless-mc-at-dinner-with-the-eels/2437560.aspx

Apocalyptic Eel

Juniors
lol @ Distance Education. Some of these Universities are handing out degrees like TAFE

I wonder how often the team will utilise the state of the art gym? Only in the offseason I bet.

seaeagle sam

lol @ Distance Education. Some of these Universities are handing out degrees like TAFE

I wonder how often the team will utilise the state of the art gym? Only in the offseason I bet.

Why so negative mate? Why make a joke out of a great story for people in Regional NSW and the Eels. Also, I think there is a bit more to UNE than distance education. I think it's more of an old school uni. Apparently, this joke of university and the city of Armidale have pumped 100,000k into the coffers of the Eels.

Anyway, the reason why i am posting is because I'm Armidale this week to see my sister and brother in law and their kids wanted to go and see the Eels. They aren't Parra supporters but they never get the chance to see NRL players so were very excited by it all.

They weren't disappointed, the players were very generous with their time and were very approachable. Fui Fui obviously obviously has fans wherever he goes!

It was a great afternoon and the Parra players and staff should be congratulated, they were all class. Well done to your club.

Apocalyptic Eel

Juniors
I'm all for NRL teams hitting the country but I'm over the distance education. Some of the people who I have interviewed over the years with these and the "block" degrees are shocking. So that's the whole reason I'm against the distance education.

I think that our team should have gone a step more than just the visit by taking one of our trials up there. It would mean a lot of us here in Sydney wouldn't be able to go, but it would surely boost the relationship we have with the sponsor.

Tony Bongo

Bench
I'm all for NRL teams hitting the country but I'm over the distance education. Some of the people who I have interviewed over the years with these and the "block" degrees are shocking. So that's the whole reason I'm against the distance education.

I think that our team should have gone a step more than just the visit by taking one of our trials up there. It would mean a lot of us here in Sydney wouldn't be able to go, but it would surely boost the relationship we have with the sponsor.

The problem with taking a trial up there is that the team you are playing has to agree for a start. With the AFL kicking off GWS playing Penrith @ Penrith is a smart move.Also with only our team going to Armidale only our team gets the exposure to the point where even a Manly fan is taking his kids to meet them.

Apocalyptic Eel

Juniors
The problem with taking a trial up there is that the team you are playing has to agree for a start. With the AFL kicking off GWS playing Penrith @ Penrith is a smart move.Also with only our team going to Armidale only our team gets the exposure to the point where even a Manly fan is taking his kids to meet them.

True that it gives us more exposure to the area which is a great thing for us, but if I lived up there I'd kill for a trial game - even if it was against the UNE Team or one of the local ones. It could also give some of the fringe first graders a run and the senior players mingle with the crowd.

Now that would make a real impact for our club!!!

souths were meant to play Warrington at coffs next week but warrington's season dates changed so they are now playing the warriors at coffs instead. Locals are all saying they would have rather seen Warrington than the Warriors. Souths came up early this week and have gone back and will be back again early next week. They visited some schools and the local shopping plaza and will have open training sessions etc next week in the lead up. No word on what the warriors are doing but.
So i think what we are doing in Armidale is great.

They trained in the pouring rain this morning.

Handling was an issue.

010212GRA01.jpg

And Justin Poore didn't do his tammates any favours. Have a look at old mate's nose. Is that Esi Tonga?

010212GRA15.jpg

010212GRA17.jpg

Hayne still showed off his no-look passing game though.

010212GRA39.jpg

And T Mannah...

010212GRA46.jpg

..and the Shack still busted the line

010212GRA04.jpg

And Willie Tonga scored a try.

010212GRA50.jpg

Haynzy

First Grade

I don't know who you've interviewed but I know plenty of people who have studied via distance ed and they are certainly not stupid and are actually very good at their jobs and I know for a fact that you have to work much harder than if you attend lectures.

I also know plenty of muppets with Uni degrees earned in the traditional way and I wouldn't consider employing them even if you paid me.

AB129*

Juniors
Few things-

UNE isn't a bad university for some things. Nursing, Agriculture, Medicine, Education, Environmental Science/Life Sciences and Economics are all okay.

Second, I'm surprised there weren't more injuries. Its been pissing down there for months and its not warm up there even in summer.

Third, I would reckon Armidale actually does have more Parra fans than is proportional. Possibly because of Dean Widders, but also because of Hayne.

Fourth, I hope the uni is packing an actual altitude chamber and they weren't just thinking that playing up there in the open is actually gonna achieve anything...

Fifth, its probably not a great target for RL anyway. Stronger than normal RU presence. Three RU teams, 1-2 league teams.

Latest posts