What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

wb2027

Juniors
To say attendances matter less is nonsense on so many levels.
I think the NRL are aware that attendance (especially in Sydney) is probably not a thing they'd beat their chest about, even if it is doing better now than in previous years.
Bringing back the Bears is probably one thing they know will give a boost to some home teams in Sydney who have a few too many empty seats.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Fair points. It will be my goal before I peg it to watch the Western Bears at every NRL stadium!
That would be cool ! Might take a few years with some clubs alternating grounds or not hosting WA some years but still cool.
Keep the tickets and put them all in a frame with pictures of the Bears running out at every ground 👌 or separate frames as a hallway collection

Gobsmacked

Bench
I think the NRL are aware that attendance (especially in Sydney) is probably not a thing they'd beat their chest about, even if it is doing better now than in previous years.
Bringing back the Bears is probably one thing they know will give a boost to some home teams in Sydney who have a few too many empty seats.
One of the cool things about NRL is the crowds, not for their size but the unique geographical nature. Each represents a completely different culture and atmosphere.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
A lot of it has to do with how clubs are performing. Generally the better a club is going, the better the crowd.

One of the best things about this season was that even lowly ladder positioned clubs were getting decent crowds.

At the very least if Western Bears aren’t going that well form wise they’ll still get Sydney-based supporters turning up when playing there. The chance to go see them as much as possible after a long lay off is one of the positives.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
The trouble is that west Australians don't have much of a ex pat community on the East Coast. Firstly because the West Australian born and bred aren't a big population to begin with and Secondly they tend to stick to the West Coast for many reasons like better wages ect.
The case for a Perth team is the massive expat presence in WA from the East Coast- like the Dolphins fans you saw.
I expect to be Able to count the West Australians on 1 hand at away games on the East Coast..
Thankfully the Bears support will soften the blow.

One of the cool things about NRL is the crowds, not for their size but the unique geographical nature. Each represents a completely different culture and atmosphere.

To me, I think you are 100% correct in both assessments.

BuffaloRules

Coach
You know news ltd owned half the game until around 2015 ?

Then your mate Dave smith got sucked in by channel nine and totally ticket off news ltd

Stan have said they want the pay tv rights so now the nrl will be monetising its huge advantage over afl

If fox lose the rights watch them go broke without rugby league

I have no love for News Ltd or Foxtel … but I think there is next to no chance they are losing Rugby League ( the next time anyway) … PVL is too chummy with them now .. and they give him a pretty easy ride, and help with things like Vegas and putting it on US television

Would be good if they could get other players involved though … Im sure they must be confident of some new money coming into the game with the move from 17 to 20 teams

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Stan are bidding against FoxSports for the nrl

Bad news for you but good for us

More than welcome for you to hold your breath as long as possible
It’s AppleTV that will make a big splash in coming years. They will only be a very minor player in coming negotiations, probably not even worth considering but it’s the negotiations after that where the expectation is that they’ll bid hard for more live sport including an NRL/ESL package.

Value of having the game on subscription streaming will supersede that of PayTV. Exciting times for the growth of the game in the next decade or so.

flippikat

First Grade
Showing how a dash of WA yellow or gold can be incorporated into the Western Bears jersey without losing the heritage NS feel of the brand. Going to be really interesting to see what kit we decide to kick off with. It will sell like hot cakes Im sure if they get it right!

View attachment 94945
Something like this for home jersey (Perth games) - a new design in Red & black with a little white & a sliver of yellow

Then for away games in Sydney, something red & black that's more traditionally Bears - either an old design or inspired by old design. (Eg retro with inverted colors)

Then for non-Sydney away games, something that's mostly yellow, with red & black trim.

Wb1234

Immortal
I have no love for News Ltd or Foxtel … but I think there is next to no chance they are losing Rugby League ( the next time anyway) … PVL is too chummy with them now .. and they give him a pretty easy ride, and help with things like Vegas and putting it on US television

Would be good if they could get other players involved though … Im sure they must be confident of some new money coming into the game with the move from 17 to 20 teams
Stan bidding will force foxsports to pay market value

Given they overpaid for the afl rights do they have the money to also pay for the nrl ?

Something like 400 to 450 million (cash) pa for the pay tv rights

The big issue is foxtel viable as a business without rugby league ? I would suggest not

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Something like this for home jersey (Perth games) - a new design in Red & black with a little white & a sliver of yellow

Then for away games in Sydney, something red & black that's more traditionally Bears - either an old design or inspired by old design. (Eg retro with inverted colors)

Then for non-Sydney away games, something that's mostly yellow, with red & black trim.
Agree except for the last bit. There are still plenty of Bears fans that live in QLD. Expectation should be to see them play in either your expressed view Perth home or Sydney away jerseys.

I have hit up Bears side about potential QLD based Western Bears memberships and how they could look like in the future. The item is parked for now because it’s looking a little too far ahead. Hopefully something comes from it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Stan bidding will force foxsports to pay market value

Given they overpaid for the afl rights do they have the money to also pay for the nrl ?

Something like 400 to 450 million (cash) pa for the pay tv rights

The big issue is foxtel viable as a business without rugby league ? I would suggest not

so how much money has Stan got ?

Arent they just Channel 9 ?

I thought 9 was laying off staff and doing it tough ?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Dont the NRL have a rule that away jerseys have to be mostly white?

Id like to see Year 1

Home jersey - a brand new design
Away Jersey - Mostly white, either the reds inspired one or a NS inspired one
Alternate Jersey - a more traditional NS one to be worn at the Sydney Bears membership games
Indigenous Jersey - Designed by a Noongar artist featuring the swan river and a swan.

bears6.jpg home

bears7.jpg alternate NSW members games

pirates 3.jpgAway

Last edited:

Latest posts