What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Happy MEel

First Grade
We need to move on Mau as this kid is the better long term option now.
I’d be playing Mau off the bench instead of Taka and play him either in the middle (as we did successfully this year) or the edge, depending on what the situation called for. Taka is the one I’d be trying to move on.

1. Hayne
2. Gennings
3. Gutho
4. Jennings
5. Fergo
6. Norman
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. Alvaro
11. Moeroa
12. Niukore
13. Brown

14. Mau
15. Mannah
16. Peni
17. Gower/Evans/Kaufusi/Salmon

That’s not a bad starting 17 IMO.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Why? Manu started showing some good form when he was moved to the middle for part of the game, so there is room for both players in the top 17.

Additionally Moeroa also plays a fair bit in the middle thus there is room for Manu on the edge too.

Manu is only contracted for one more year, so long term there is plenty of opportunities for Marata.

And this year also shows you need plenty of depth in the forwards so moving Manu and reducing our depth is pretty stupid! It’s not like he is a bad influence!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I’d be playing Mau off the bench instead of Taka and play him either in the middle (as we did successfully this year) or the edge, depending on what the situation called for. Taka is the one I’d be trying to move on.

1. Hayne
2. Gennings
3. Gutho
4. Jennings
5. Fergo
6. Norman
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. Alvaro
11. Moeroa
12. Niukore
13. Brown

14. Mau
15. Mannah
16. Peni
17. Gower/Evans/Kaufusi/Salmon

That’s not a bad starting 17 IMO.

Also we have Lane coming to

Gronk

Staff member

Taka, Gower & Manu are all off contract end 2019. I doubt they will be renewed if Lane, Mau and a few kids work out. Hopefully we get Marty Taupau in the next few weeks.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'd have given it to Reed. Started the preseason with a train & trial contract, trained up the front all summer in what was his 1st NRL preseason, earnt a rookie contract, and then performed admirably in NRL from Rd 14. Still eligible for 20's. Wouldn't have complained if Marata won it

Yeah both wouId be worthy winners, however Marata took some time to warm to the role/speed of the NRL ( not saying that’s a bad thing, as it happens to most rookies, they mostly need time) however Mahoney seemed to “hit the ground” running!! So Mahoney is the winner!

eel01s

Bench
Reed has been amazing given where he started the year.

Btw I am with Avenger and would shop Mau around.

Just a note on Manu. He had been playing with a injured shoulder for about a year. Once he smashed his cheekbone and was out for the season he had it operated on. Still in a sling but starts rehab on it today

Avenger

Immortal

I agree with Reed. He has been very impressive but he needs support with a dynamic hooker like Segeyaro. I do fear however that the old gang of three back at the same club would be risky to the extreme.

emjaycee

Coach

Ma'u has been one of our most consistent and aggresive forwards for the last 3 years at least.
We need him to show the young'uns like Marata how to play tough, uncompromising football.

We should prove our loyalty and keep him until he is no longer a contributor. Doesnt mean he is automatically a walk in to the 13 but geez, we are worse without him in our squad.

Avenger

Immortal
Ma'u has been one of our most consistent and aggresive forwards for the last 3 years at least.
We need him to show the young'uns like Marata how to play tough, uncompromising football.

We should prove our loyalty and keep him until he is no longer a contributor. Doesnt mean he is automatically a walk in to the 13 but geez, we are worse without him in our squad.
But he is on very big coin. That’s the issue. I even hear that Taka is on $450k next year.
Seriously WTF??

Gronk

Staff member
But he is on very big coin. That’s the issue. I even hear that Taka is on $450k next year.
Seriously WTF??

Agree big coin, but how do you know that Taka is not getting market ? Does not seem plausible that we are paying him $150-200k overs.

Avenger

Immortal
Agree big coin, but how do you know that Taka is not getting market ? Does not seem plausible that we are paying him $150-200k overs.
It was reported on one of the sports radio shows.

Norman - $940k
Jennings - $800k
Mau - $700k
Taka - $450k

Happy MEel

First Grade
Also we have Lane coming to
Shit...I knew I had forgotten someone.

1. Hayne
2. Gennings
3. Gutho
4. Jennings
5. Fergo
6. Norman
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. Alvaro
11. Moeroa
12. Niukore
13. Brown

14. Mau
15. Mannah
16. Peni
17. Lane

18-21: Gower/Evans/Kaufusi/Salmon

Last edited:

eel01s

Bench
Sorry but all are on overs. Specifically on Mau, I think it is better to let players go a year early than keep them on to be "loyal".

With Tep, Nuikore and Lane there, is Mau providing value?

eel01s

Bench
Btw if those amounts are correct, no wonder we can't attract top quality players to the squad.

Seriously which other club would pay that for any of those players? Maybe Norman if he was in form, but so far he has nobody knocking down his door.

emjaycee

Coach
Sorry but all are on overs. Specifically on Mau, I think it is better to let players go a year early than keep them on to be "loyal".

With Tep, Nuikore and Lane there, is Mau providing value?
Where is our aggression outside of Brown or are we happy to remain the "least feared pack in the NRL" for the 18th consecutive year?

Avenger

Immortal
Btw if those amounts are correct, no wonder we can't attract top quality players to the squad.

Seriously which other club would pay that for any of those players? Maybe Norman if he was in form, but so far he has nobody knocking down his door.
I know they are probably exaggerated a little but the Jennings one I have heard from a couple of independent sources.

eel01s

Bench
Where is our aggression outside of Brown or are we happy to remain the "least feared pack in the NRL" for the 18th consecutive year?
Was Mau aggressive this season? I recall him out of form for the first part. He did play better just prior to his injury, but can he play at that level every week?

He is not the biggest forward either.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Guth0
It was reported on one of the sports radio shows.

Norman - $940k
Jennings - $800k
Mau - $700k
Taka - $450k

Also been reports of:
Moses - $800k
Ferguson - $500k
Paulo - $800k
Mannah - $500k
Moeroa - $600k
Gutherson - $500k
Brown - $600k
Lane - $400k

I suspect the Taka / Manu figures are crap!! Just like most of the above figures are !!

Latest posts