What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
ES9aV-zVAAECD36

Gronk

Staff member
Toddy says that Rnd2 will be locked out.

That's unfair bc the Tits are used to playing in front of no crowds.

Incorrect

Coach
Geeze they've cut a few at Fox.

I must admit I've thought for a long time that Fox could make some decent savings in that area. Daniel Garb had probably the best gig - Paid to live in London and travel to all the best EPL and other European matches for what probably amounted to about an hour of actual on air content per week... All over now though...

Gronk

Staff member
Cody Parry Parramatta Eels | Tamworth teen makes transition fraught with hurdles

r0_0_750_490_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WEAPON: Tamworth's Cody Parry in action for the Eels' Harold Matthews Cup side this season. Photo: Andrew Bateup Photography

If Cody Parry fulfils his goal of becoming an NRL player, like his elder brother Ethan, he would no doubt look back fondly on this period in his life: all the difficulties he has experienced, and is still experiencing, extinguished by time and success.

The 15-year-old is in the midst of a major transition - swapping the familiarity and reassurance of family life in Tamworth, and school life at Farrer, with the jolting reality of a new existence in Parramatta as he negotiates the second year of a four-year deal at the Eels.

Cody moved to the city for the start of the new school year and for the start of the Harold Matthews Cup season - the latter now halted because of coronavirus. He is in year 10 at Parramatta Marist High.

Living in "Parramatta House" with a host of fellow young Eels, the strapping centre's introduction to his current reality has been challenging: a hip flexor injury meant he missed the start of the season, while adjusting to this environment, away from most of his family, has exacerbated his burden.

However, the 2019 Australian Schoolboys under-15 representative scored a try on debut and started at right centre in the Eels' past three matches, before the competition was suspended. (As with a host of NSWRL comps, it has been halted until at least May 31.)

The Eels are second on the ladder, with five wins and a loss.

"The first couple of games I was a bit rusty trying to settle into a new team," Cody said. "But now I'm starting to get a groove, getting a bit more game fit."

r0_0_499_677_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BLOOD BOND: Cody and Ethan.

He has reset the clock for his rugby league journey, believing that it started again when he relocated to Parramatta. He described the transformation as "massive".

"It is difficult. But I'm getting around now, making some more friends. So, it's getting better."

He added: "The goal and dream was always to play NRL one day. So, this is what you have to do to do that. You've got to do these things and knuckle down ... It's hard, and it's a long journey, too."

r168_147_750_502_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BIG UNIT: "All you do is eat and workout, basically," Cody says of being an Eel. Photo: Andrew Bateup Photography

Cody has put on six kilograms since relocating, and now weighs 93kg. He stands about 188 centimetres, and has clocked 11.9 seconds for 100 metres.

"All you do is eat and workout, basically," he said of being at Parra. He added: "You've got school work to juggle too. It is hard ... Don't get me wrong: Farrer is a good school, but this is just next level."

Making the transition easier is Ethan, the promising Parramatta outside back who turned 21 on Friday, and who also signed with the Eels at age 15 and then moved from Tamworth to the big smoke.

Ethan has long been touted as a future star, his NRL debut last year marked by a memorable try against Manly at Brookvale. He scored again the following round against the Warriors in Auckland, but has not played another NRL game.

The Leader reported this month that he was open to offers from other clubs. He comes off contract this year.

Getting to see his brother more often is one of the pluses of Cody's move. "He's a good mentor," the teen said of Ethan. "Everything I'm going through now, he's been through. So, he knows what he's talking about when he gives me advice."

https://www.northerndailyleader.com...ere-cody-parry-adjusts-to-life-at-parramatta/

Gronk

Staff member
Hint: When you steal a bench from Parra Station (?), don't go on social media and show the world.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

A lot of coaches get their back up’: Anasta’s unexpected encounter with Brad Athur
NRL TEAMS

6c7d5a2505b541756aa0e2211b87d20d

fox League expert Braith Anasta had an encounter with Eels coach Brad Arthur (pictured) on a plane that’s made him one of Arthur’s biggest fans.Source: Getty Images
Tune into our new show Fox League Live on Channel 502 at 7am and 3pm every day.

Fox League expert Braith Anasta has revealed how Parramatta coach Brad Arthur won him over.

Speaking on Fox League Mornings, Anasta told a story about when he called a game where the Storm smashed the Eels in Melbourne.

Settle in with the best entertainment for the whole family. No installation. No lock-in contract. Start your Foxtel Now 10-day free trial. New customers only.

Anasta criticised the Eels and then bumped into the team and Arthur at the airport the next morning. He expected Arthur to be filthy at him for his comments, but instead he asked Anasta for advice.

“I’ve got huge raps on him I think he’s fantastic,” Anasta said.

“A big reason that really stood out to me is a couple of years ago when they were struggling and came last, I called a game of his against Melbourne and they got smashed.

“When you call games you’ve got to give your honest opinion and I was quite critical of them. You don’t feel good about it but it’s an analysis and assessment that you’ve got to do and a lot of people don’t like it, a lot of coaches get their back up.”

The morning after the game, Anasta bumped into the Eels at the airport. He expected Arthur to be hostile but it was what happened on the plane that’s made Anasta one of Arthur’s biggest fans.

“I’m on the plane and BA spots me, he’s just lined me up and I’m thinking ‘oh what’s going on here,’ He says ‘Braith can I sit down next you, do you mind if I do some video with you? I know you just called the game and you had a few opinions. Can you dissect some situations and have a look at how we can improve?’

“So the whole flight home he sat next to me doing video with me. A lot of coaches will get their backs up, but he was like no I’m going to take this has positive enforcement, take accountability be honest and try and learn from this.

“For me, it stood out and I’m not surprised with how Parramatta are going and I think he’s a fantastic coach.”