What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

eel01s

Bench
Happy if this is his last season with us, but don't think it will be.

Although fast over 5 to 10m he has lost his long range speed.

emjaycee

Coach
Happy if this is his last season with us, but don't think it will be.

Although fast over 5 to 10m he has lost his long range speed.
In today's game I don't think long range speed is a MUST have for a centre and besides, Mennings ability to get around the first man and get a pass away to Sivo is a skill that hasn't disappeared and one that we are reaping the rewards from. His last 3 tries haven't needed long range speed, just his experience and ability to create a hole for himself.

84 Baby

Referee
If you are happy for him to leave, who would you have replace him?
Well he’s likely to leave either this year or next. There’s not a whole lot on offer in the centre department plus I think this situation shows he’s on unders for his output. Probably significantly so.
If there’s space available, I’d have a look at Staggs or Farnworth. Alternatively Fergo to centre and chase Semi

Gronk

Staff member
In today's game I don't think long range speed is a MUST have for a centre and besides, Mennings ability to get around the first man and get a pass away to Sivo is a skill that hasn't disappeared and one that we are reaping the rewards from. His last 3 tries haven't needed long range speed, just his experience and ability to create a hole for himself.
There was talk that he's only in $250k. The Dogs just paid $600k for Cotric FFS. Jenkovic is a bargain.

TheRam

Coach
That’s a huge ‘If’

Why is it a huge "if" ?

Our roster is as good if not better then every other team, including the Roosters, Storm, Panthers and Raiders, so what is holding us back then?

It wouldn't be our attitude and mental toughness would it? That seems to be the only difference between all the other contenders and us bar maybe the Panthers, who also are mentally challenged at times. All the other main contenders and I would throw Manly in there too if at full strength, are mentally tough teams as well as having top rosters.

We have a great roster and I say it again, I think player for player better then all the rest. But we are still to prove that we are the real deal against in particular the Roosters and the Storm and until we do we will never be in real contention of the title.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Salmon is a potential centre option if Mennings leaves. He did ok there in the trial against the panthers this year. And would be fairly cheap.

Our spine won’t be cheap to resign in few years so we probably don’t want to spend to much on a “elite” centre.

also Sivo / Fergo are off contract next year too, so we either need to re-sign them or look for other options (Fergo may be cheaper then his current contract while Sivo will definitely cost more)

Mennings is going great but wouId rather him leave a year to early then stay a year to long on overs.

Joely01

Bench
Interesting is Mennings rumour is true.

I don’t think the club will give him too much more cash, more so sell him on being in a successful team. I think we are past having to pay overs for players.
I think if Mennings was to go it shows a lot about his character as well, we stuck by him and his last year on “big money” he was absolute dog s**t, yet he was happy to stay with us then.
I think he will stay

84 Baby

Referee
Why is it a huge "if" ?

Our roster is as good if not better then every other team, including the Roosters, Storm, Panthers and Raiders, so what is holding us back then?

It wouldn't be our attitude and mental toughness would it? That seems to be the only difference between all the other contenders and us bar maybe the Panthers, who also are mentally challenged at times. All the other main contenders and I would throw Manly in there too if at full strength, are mentally tough teams as well as having top rosters.

We have a great roster and I say it again, I think player for player better then all the rest. But we are still to prove that we are the real deal against in particular the Roosters and the Storm and until we do we will never be in real contention of the title.
I think people are throwing around “mental toughness”. There’s a reason why Scum, Rorters and Moanly to a far lesser degree are “tougher”. Experience.
Try and find an article regarding their mental toughness before they won a premiership. Won’t be any.

TheRam

Coach
How can you say that? We lost by 4 points. If Gutho kicks a few more goals, we're locked in or lose by 2.

Because the quality of the opposition was even worse gash and we made Manly look like they were at full strength and we were the team that was coming into the game with multiple loses due to injury issues.

Sure we had injuries, but we were still the better team going into that game by a long shot, but they came to play and we came to giggle and lose.

TheRam

Coach
I think people are throwing around “mental toughness”. There’s a reason why Scum, Rorters and Moanly to a far lesser degree are “tougher”. Experience.
Try and find an article regarding their mental toughness before they won a premiership. Won’t be any.

Canberra haven't won a premiership and I rate them tougher then us mentally. But I do concede your point is valid a lot of the time. But I consider the Dogs to be a mentally tougher team then ours, but hey that's just me.

Toughness can come from experience in winning in major games or Grand Finals, but doesn't always have to. Some players just naturally have it and some clubs breed it in their DNA throughout their grades.

Parra unfortunately hasn't had it in its DNA or naturally in its players for way to many years. That is why Coach BA is constantly on about our approach and ability to overcome adversity or just stick to the processes. He never talks about our football talent which we have in bucket loads. It is all about staying in the fight for the full 80 minuets.

Translation...mental toughness. He doesn't make excuses about experience or not having won a GF, ffs. We have enough players with enough experience anyway. As for winning a Grand Final, lets get to one first. But unless we solve our mental lapses the title will always be just a dream.

84 Baby

Referee
Canberra haven't won a premiership and I rate them tougher then us mentally. But I do concede your point is valid a lot of the time. But I consider the Dogs to be a mentally tougher team then ours, but hey that's just me.

Toughness can come from experience in winning in major games or Grand Finals, but doesn't always have to. Some players just naturally have it and some clubs breed it in their DNA throughout their grades.

Parra unfortunately hasn't had it in its DNA or naturally in its players for way to many years. That is why Coach BA is constantly on about our approach and ability to overcome adversity or just stick to the processes. He never talks about our football talent which we have in bucket loads. It is all about staying in the fight for the full 80 minuets.

Translation...mental toughness. He doesn't make excuses about experience or not having won a GF, ffs. We have enough players with enough experience anyway. As for winning a Grand Final, lets get to one first. But unless we solve our mental lapses the title will always be just a dream.
I think mental toughness is the wrong phrase but yeah agree with what you are otherwise saying. Although I don’t think Canbra or Dogs are tough either.
Dogs played a style under Pay that frustrates our style and it was simple to implement. Too a degree it shows mental toughness on our part to overcome it.
While Canbra play the mentally tough act but it’s a facade to boost themselves. Just because they say they’re under siege, doesn’t make them Stephen Seagal. But false mental toughness does have its role too. I’d put them in the same boat as us

Gazzamatta

Coach
Dogs loss on the bell is exactly what the "experts" are saying is lack of mental toughness. You may need to re think that Rammy although whether it was a lack of mental toughness is debatable in my mind.
Wasnt it Mennings who fell for Levi's dummy and basically raced across the back of the ruck leaving pretty much that entire edge without a defender? He stays put, Levi dosent score. Also on Mennings didnt he take up his mega option at the end of 2018 because he "wanted to help the team"? He also remained unsigned for ever post that contract and eventually settled for the conservative Eels offer which we decided late in the peace when we gave him the extra year he wanted?
If Mennings is now getting paid commensurate with how he was playing prior to negotiation surely he and his manager should acknowledge he was paid a sh*t load for not much on his previous contract. Yeah na!

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm not sure we can call this 2020 Eels side "mentally weak", or any other variation of that phrase; against Manly, we played like crap, absolutely NOTHING went our way...and we still lost on goal-kicking.

I believe that a mentally weak side would have thrown in the towel shortly after half-time, but we threatened to pull a win out of the fire the whole second half.

I do agree that our application in the first 20 minutes of the game is a real concern - but, frankly, I put that down to the fact we have played at a fairly, and consistently, high level for 9 weeks, and playing footy at that level is very rarely feasible over a long period of time.

Pou showed us stats regarding who beat the Roosters in 2018 - and they lost to some average teams.

We have a young, and inexperienced, side - but this loss to Manly was the best thing that could have happened to us, imo. It will reset the squad, and refocus our attention to where it needs to be.

It's very exciting!

TheRam

Coach
And while I am in a criticising mood, Dillon Brown had better stop being a so 21st century casual f**ker real fast and start to pay attention to the finer points in the game.

For far to many games he has stuffed up great or scoring opportunities. I as most people love a running half and unless a half has that in his game he will never truly be a great 6 or 7, but really?

His ability to ignore his support players especially on the outside and run instead only to get caught or pass to late is ridiculous. His defense is obviously a standout, but his lack of awareness in his passing is painful on so many levels. As a glaring example of his immaturity at this point in time as a player when he made that massive break against the Knights, he looked to his left which had two unmarked players in support and then went to his right instead because he left it to late to pass to them and went straight into traffic which blew the try completely.

That type of thing is bread and butter stuff for a very good play maker like him. So it is either he can't pass well right to left, therefore panicked, but it is obviously not the case. Or he just is a ball hog who thought he could over play his hand again and do the impossible all on his own. At this stage of his development I choose the later.

Just a little thing again, but when he put up that bomb to Ponga and then ran through and tackled him in the air and conceded a penalty, the manner in which he attacked Ponga was indicative of a player not thinking deeply of his game and just reacting for a big play. There are so many times he has stuffed up with the ball in hand or foot.

What saves him is his defense and the occasional great play, which of course are great signs and he is young and will build on them hopefully. My fear though is his attitude and blasé approach to everything can end up being life long if he doesn't sort it out fast. I know it is good to be relaxed before games, that is not what I am referring to here. He is too chilled and needs to be working on the little things with ball in hand better.

Against Manly he should of stepped up. Yes I know he is very young still, but Manly weren't an intimidating team on the weekend, at times they were so busted and out on their feet and the opportunities were screaming at him to isolate and work certain players over. But he failed terribly. Those are the types of games he should be salivating to take control of, instead he couldn't shovel the ball away quick enough without purpose or just took the line on without affect. It didn't look like a player wanting to own the result and failing, but a guy that was looking around and not sure of what to do.

Why am I on his case since he is basically still only a junior rookie? Because of his immense talent and bad habits are hard to break, especially without a great mentor and your own desire to learn, learn, learn.

He doesn't strike me as a player that lacks any confidence and things have come fairly easily and naturally for him, so add his I'm so cool approach to life, and I don't think he will really knuckle down to develop his game further for at least another 2-3 years. I just don't want to see him go by the way of Shaun Johnson. Bad habits are hard to break. Look how long it has taken Moses and he still isn't out of the woods totally yet.

Oh as for his and Lane's defense being ordinary on the weekend, yes and no. Really mostly the whole team were ordinary against Manly and the damage was done further on the inside and by the time Manly ran at them two, we were already shot to pieces. The majority of the team were woeful on the weekend and wherever Manly scored they made those players directly involved look crappy, but the real damage was done with all the woeful defense and lack of intensity in the lead up work.