What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

eels_fan

First Grade
Angry at being used as contract bait by NRL player managers, St George Illawarra has contacted Parramatta to deny any interest in Eelsand NSW forward Nathan Brown.

And the reason Brown’s management tried to hoodwink Parramatta is a $1 million contract offer discrepancy.

In a bid to scare Parramatta into an increased offer, Brown’s agents told the Eels that the Dragons were interested in their star player.

The Dragons found out and took the unusual step of immediately contacting Parramatta management to repudiate any interest with Brown, who comes off contract at the Eels after this season.

Privately, St George Illawarra is tired of NRL agents falsely claiming the Dragons are interested in off-contact players to drive up the asking price at their existing club.

The Dragons have now made a stand.

Brown is managed by accredited NRL agent Jonathan Wehbe, the nephew of Joe Wehbe, known throughout rugby league as the ‘football whisperer’.

Another layer of intrigue comes with former Parramatta recruitment officer, Anthony Field, now working for Wehbe.

Parramatta has also been told there are three rivals NRL clubs also chasing Brown.

Yet multiple phone calls and emails from The Daily Telegraph failed to identify those supposed suitors.

Well-positioned sources revealed Brown is currently earning around $620,000-a-season with his management seeking to have that figure inflated to $700,000 annually in a new contract.

Wehbe is understood to be asking for a lengthy four-year deal which would total $2.8 million.

Insiders close to Parramatta suggest the club believes Brown is worth around $600,000-a-year and prefer a three-season contract.

That means Parramatta is willing shell out around $1.8 million – a gap of $1 million.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Parramatta has yet to lodge a formal offer with Wehbe.

While he is a current NSW State of Origin player, Brown has endured issues in recent seasons with discipline and injury.

Although the money difference is considerable, both parties continue working towards a financial solution.

Raw and aggressive, Brown, 27, wants to remain at Parramatta after this season. If rival clubs are chasing Brown, each is keeping their interest quiet and secret.

In a remarkable 2020 season, Brown averaged 158 running metres each game and completed 37 tackles a match.

He told NRL.com this week: “I‘d like to stay at Parra. Everything happens for a reason. I’ll just play good footy. Hopefully I stay, but we’ll see what happens.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/5077d9decb89cb4d9ebb760ef6663a4c

eels_fan

First Grade
The issue I believe is he's been on an inflated deal for the past 3 years, so now by making origin he believes he is due an increase. Whilst i'd usually agree with that, he's been on overs prior.

$600k sounds about right to me for a rep second rower, he's not an established rep player, he's only played 2 games.

Issue is he should have only been on $500k at most to begin with.

Now the problem is some nupty club with money to burn will probably throw $700k at him to pickup an enforcer, so we either match it or hope Brown prefers loyalty to extra cash.

Incorrect

Coach
All of these greedy player manager merkins have to realise that the salary cap is not going up season upon season like it has been but rather going the other way. Origin rep money has been cut... The days of increases for increase sake when renewing contracts are over for the short term.

strider

Post Whore
what if st george are bullshitting as a ploy to sneak in and get him .... "oh no we aren't interested" - liar liar pants on fire ..... we offer unders, they sneak in with a reasonable offer

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The issue I believe is he's been on an inflated deal for the past 3 years, so now by making origin he believes he is due an increase. Whilst i'd usually agree with that, he's been on overs prior.

$600k sounds about right to me for a rep second rower, he's not an established rep player, he's only played 2 games.

Issue is he should have only been on $500k at most to begin with.

Now the problem is some nupty club with money to burn will probably throw $700k at him to pickup an enforcer, so we either match it or hope Brown prefers loyalty to extra cash.

I reckon established rep second rowers are all on a bit more then $600k....

anyhow brown isnt a second rower he is a lock.....and he can think what ever he wants...the market will determine his value

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
what if st george are bullshitting as a ploy to sneak in and get him .... "oh no we aren't interested" - liar liar pants on fire ..... we offer unders, they sneak in with a reasonable offer
We need to offer what we think he's worth. If another club decides he's worth more (or they need him and are willing to pay overs) we can't let that affect our valuation of the player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon established rep second rowers are all on a bit more then $600k....

anyhow brown isnt a second rower he is a lock.....and he can think what ever he wants...the market will determine his value
The thing is he can play 80 minutes but with our pack we don't need him to play 80 minutes. There are surely clubs that need him more than we do. I wouldn't be surprised if he left.

Latest posts