What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

the phantom menace

First Grade
Oh you meant state politics. Nothing but horse trading amongst gangsters. Voters don’t care about state politics. It is the reserve grade of auspol.
fake interest cool story bro GIF


First Grade
Very sad story about former Eels coach Daniel Anderson in the Dailytelegraph

Daniel Anderson has no recollection of the shocking bodysurfing accident that has left him a quadriplegic and almost killed him.

The former Parramatta Eels and New Zealand Warriors NRL coach was on a Central Coast family holiday in late December when he was dumped on a wave and suffered a catastrophic spinal injury.

He went into a cardiac arrest and had to be dragged semi-conscious from the water.

It was only that two off-duty paramedics happened to be on the beach that his life was saved before he was airlifted to the spinal unit at Royal North Shore hospital.

Nearly five months later, Anderson is telling his remarkable story for the first time.

It is an extraordinary story of determination to stay involved working in rugby league as head of recruitment at the Sydney Roosters despite the overwhelming difficulties of adapting to his circumstances.


The 56-year-old has no memory of the accident at Soldiers Beach, near Norah Head.

“I was out bodysurfing with my brothers and their kids,” he says, “They’ve since filled me in on what happened. I caught a wave but got dumped on my head.

“I was dragged from the water unresponsive and then went into cardiac arrest.

“Thankfully there were a couple of off-duty paramedics on the beach and lifeguards. They brought me back.

“Then ambulance and police arrived. I was then taken to Warnervale where there is a small airport and airlifted to Royal North Shore.

“I’m very lucky the paramedics were there. I was obviously in a bad way. If they weren’t there, who knows how it would have finished up.”


X-rays would reveal severe compression of the spinal cord.

“I was classified as an incomplete quadriplegic,” Anderson said. “Incomplete means that you can get little bits back, but some things you never can.

“No one can tell you categorically what, if any movement you get back. But after four days I was wiggling my big toe.

“Right now I need assistance with everything, brushing my teeth, feeding, bathing, having a coffee.

“I’ve got slight movement in my right hand. Just enough to softly shake hands.

“Three weeks ago I couldn’t do that. It’s progress.”


We often talk of mental toughness and strength in rugby league. Anderson has got it in bucketloads.

Although he struggled early on. As you would.

“It was quite harrowing for my family,” Anderson said.

“I had a tough time those first four weeks. I didn’t sleep. You’re just staring at a clock all night.

“You get a lot of head noise. The nurses and staff are off duty. My wife’s gone home. It’s very quiet.

“The social interaction is so important. I was mentally all over the place. I wasn’t ready for visitors because you’re processing what’s happened.

“After about a month I knew I had to focus on getting myself better.”

Wife Natalie and his four children, Alana, 26, Heather, 24, Cooper, 20, and Spencer, 18, are keeping him strong.

“Natalie has been my rock,” he says.

“She was there in ICU every day from 8am until 9pm. The family has been so important.”

We start talking about his days as an NRL head coach. How two competition points meant so much each week – yet here we are now and footy scores seem so irrelevant.

Anderson took the Eels and the Warriors to NRL grand finals and coached St Helens to win the UK Super League championship.

“You can’t equate this predicament to the pressures of coaching. But the mental strength you’ve got to have in tough times in football helps,” he said.

“This is much tougher. But you’ve got to grab hold of the situation. You’ve got to try to move forward and take one challenge at a time.”


We meet in the café at the Royal Rehab centre in Ryde.

Anderson arrives in his electric wheelchair, having just left a physio session.

He has enough movement in his right hand to operate a control panel and steer his way between the tables and chairs.

He is incredibly bright, upbeat and cheerful for a man who has suffered such a terrible injury.

Anderson starts laughing about a recent visit from Parramatta Eels legend and Fox Sports star Nathan Hindmarsh.

“He overstayed the visitor hours and ate all my chocolates,” he said. “But he was a lot of fun.

“I’ve had tremendous support. It’s been unbelievable. Video messages, text messages, players, guys I used to coach.

“My family has been such a strength. The Roosters, everyone. I’ve seen Robbo (Trent Robinson) a few times, Nick (Politis) and Joe Kelly.”

Old front-row warhorse James Graham was there on Wednesday. They were together at St Helens when Graham was just 19. He describes Anderson as the most influential person in his career.


Anderson is now training two hours a day in a gym at the rehab centre.

“When I say training, it’s all about mobility exercises,” he said. “I’ve got to try to learn how to get in and out of bed.

“You’ve got to learn how to use muscles again. You’ve got to learn to try to do the ordinary things in everyday life. Picking up a sandwich. I still can’t feed myself. But that’s one of many goals I’ve got.

“I want to try to stand. But there’s no long-term prognosis. They can’t tell where it’s going to finish. It’s a long road.”

His recovery has progressed to where his physiotherapists are now using exoskeleton technology – a bionic walking device that can help overcome paralysis and activate muscles to assist standing and leg movement.

His aim is to be back in the family home in eight weeks. That will be more than six months since the accident.


Anderson is still working as head of recruitment at the Sydney Roosters.

From the rehab centre he is doing 10 hours a week.

He can’t type, but uses voice to text technology to write his emails.

The long-term plan is to get back to work at Roosters’ offices in Moore Park for two days a week.

“I’m still talking to the player agents and Robbo wants me back in the office,” he said.

“I love the job and they’ve been a wonderful support.

“I’ve got a mechanical arm support. I clip it on to a table and stick my elbow into it.

“It allows me to use a mouse to get to the email. Then I can use voice to text on my phone.

“I’ve got Fox Sports set up in my room so I watch every game.”

Still, he is wary about going too hard.

“It’s important I don’t overdo it and keep focusing on my physical recovery,” he said.

“The Roosters are so good in that area, knowing I have to get myself healthier.

“I just know I’ve still got a bit of life left in me in rugby league.”


On Anzac Day, Anderson went to Drummoyne sailing club with some old mates. He had two beers.

“It was my first time in a taxi, my first time back in a club,” he said, “It was quite intimidating but everyone was very kind. The beer tasted beautiful. I sat on two for my first day back.”

For his 56th birthday, his family took him to a nearby café in Ryde.

“It was another small stop and really special,” he said

“With a lot of hard work I might surprise people in the next year to two with what I can achieve. Come and see me in 12 months and we’ll see where I’m at.

“You can’t just feel sorry for yourself. It was a freak accident but that’s life. There are a lot of people here doing it tougher.”


Independent commission chairman Peter V’landys will launch a fundraising initiative at NRL headquarters on Monday.

Guests will include two-time premiership-winning coach Ivan Cleary, who was coached by Anderson at the Warriors, and representatives from the clubs he coached.

The aim is to provide ongoing financial support for essential equipment, home modifications and ongoing specialist physiotherapy.

“Sometimes you’re not sure if you’re actually worthy of all the support because, for me, it’s been a privilege to have been involved in rugby league,” Anderson said.

“And to have so many from within the game reaching out … it’s quite overwhelming.

“I’m so thankful. I’ve got these big hurdles to jump but there’s a big cheer squad there for me.

“When you’re doing it tough, all the support focuses you to get better. It really does.”

A website has been set up for donations.

As we prepare to end the interview, Anderson says: “One more thing. I’m only here telling my story because of the people who looked after me on the beach. I was in a lot of strife.

“I’d like to be able to meet the lifeguards and the paramedics one day. I’d love to personally say thank you.


link to the fundraiser: https://danielandersonfund.com.au/


So the footy show decided to skip the review of the Eels Cowboys game for absolutely no reason. Pathetic.

And we're the biggest team in this city.

No respect.

All they care about is AFL. So they want to piss off RL supporters that way it makes it easier to justify their angling towards that abomination instead.

Conspiracy theory? I don't think so.


Post Whore
And we're the biggest team in this city.

No respect.

All they care about is AFL. So they want to piss off RL supporters that way it makes it easier to justify their angling towards that abomination instead.

Conspiracy theory? I don't think so.
They have blatantly admitted it, they are no friend to RL.


They have blatantly admitted it, they are no friend to RL.

They are like lefty liberal commies these abomination lovers. They infiltrate everywhere. Once in they never leave and just white ant everything else.

Filth just, pure filth.