What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Incorrect

Coach
How good was Sterlo ?

We had a few injuries, with Kenny, Lindner, Grothe etc out. I seriously have never heard of Rod Slater.

View attachment 56293
Ive posted this elsewhere before but I was at that game - my first season as a Parra season ticket holder, jumping on the bandwagon after the 86 premiership...little did I know we were just starting the mother of all droughts - but I digress....

I remember that day him incessantly exploiting that rule that had been introduced (and was quickly scrapped and rightly so) whereby if you kicked before the 5th and last from inside your own half and found touch inside your own half, you were awarded the scrum feed. So whenever Parra were rolling up to their own 40 metre line, on tackle 4 Sterlo would just dribble it over the sideline and make sure it didn't go over the halfway and voila, another set of 6... Never saw anyone else exploit like that until Sterlo that day... No wonder RLW scored him 10 out of 10 that day....

the phantom menace

First Grade
From memory Rod Slater was a handy dark haired centre/back rower? But quite possibly played more reserve grade than first grade in his career...

emjaycee

Coach
Hhahaah, I remember him... then i guess the bookends came afterwards
Nope, Bookends Leabeater and Budgen both debuted in 1979 and joined Parramatta in '86 and '82 respectively.
Leabeater retired at the end of '88 having only played a handful of games that year and Bugden retired at the end of '89. Injury played a big part in Budgen's career and he actually retired for 2 years before making a comeback in 1985.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Nope, Bookends Leabeater and Budgen both debuted in 1979 and joined Parramatta in '86 and '82 respectively.
Leabeater retired at the end of '88 having only played a handful of games that year and Bugden retired at the end of '89. Injury played a big part in Budgen's career and he actually retired for 2 years before making a comeback in 1985.
*7s

Yep I agree they’re pretty good. While I don’t go much on the white jersey or Macron’s style of piping I dig the new style and it’s great to see a predominately gold jersey back. Now fingers crossed they’ve brought the stripes back on the shorts…

Latest posts