What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
I saw yesterday that the NRL were erecting a huge stage in Martin Place. Do the players even get to train this week ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
LANE DEAL SET TO INFLUENCE STAR HALF

Shaun Lane’s reported $2 million extension is set to have a positive impact on the Eels’ bid to re-sign Dylan Brown long-term.

Brent Read reported on Triple M that Brown’s partnership with Lane on the left edge is set to work in the Eels’ favour in their bid to lock up Brown’s services.

“The interesting sideline to Lane’s deal is Dylan Brown, who plays alongside him at Parramatta,” Read said on Triple M.

“He is off-contract at the end of next year and free to negotiate with rivals on November 1.

“I spoke to Dylan Brown about his future. He is a very laid back guy. He said, it doesn’t worry me footy will be there one way or the other, Parramatta is not going anywhere.

“But I said, Shaun Lane re-signing given you play alongside him at club level will that convince you to try and stay.

Shaun Lane’s deal will impact Dylan Brown’s contract talks.
Shaun Lane’s deal will impact Dylan Brown’s contract talks.Source: Getty Images

“He said, yeah no doubt it will because you want to be surrounded by good players. I have a good chemistry with him. You want the club to keep winning and with Shaun Lane here it will help us keep winning.

“That is promising signs for Parramatta because they have a really difficult period coming up where they have to re-sign Will Penisini, Mitchell Moses, Waqa Blake and Brown.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors

strider

Post Whore
From the article .... LMFAO

jack-gibsons.jpg

King-Gutho94

Coach

Why does Weilder always go to the gutter with his questions.

Instead of asking how we are going to beat Penrith.

The Muppet just wants to talk about a rift with Penrith.

Gazzamatta

Coach
We are at saturation point with Eels articles right now.

Paul Taylor homeless and living under a bridge is not what I expected.

We walked from the club to Church St via the walkway under the bridge up alongside the Riverside Theatre. There was a bloke living there out cold (we think) under all his blankets surrounded by his stuff. Maybe it was Squizzy? Should have stopped for his autograph.

King-Gutho94

Coach
NRL grand final 2022: Clint Gutherson gives Parramatta Eels what Jarryd Hayne never did

If Clint Gutherson and Jarryd Hayne were both in their prime and fighting for the same position today, who would get named for the grand final?

Jarryd Hayne will watch on when Clint Gutherson leads Parramatta into the club’s first grand final since 2009.

With Gutherson wearing the same No.1 jumper Hayne once made famous, you can only wonder if it will cross Hayne’s mind at some point what might have been had he played his entire career with the same team-first mentality that has made Gutherson the leader he is today?

Hayne walked free from Cooma Correctional Centre in February, nine months after he was jailed on rape charges – of which he has always vehemently denied – when his conviction was quashed by the Court of Appeal.

He has kept a particularly low profile since his release, given the 34-year-old will face a third sexual assault trial in March.

Yet even Hayne couldn’t help but get caught up in the Eels’ grand final hype, taking to Instagram to share in the celebrations as Parramatta made their first decider since his career-defining run of form in 2009.

There is no question Gutherson is not in the same ball park as Hayne when it comes to that individual brilliance.

Yet there is a legitimate argument the current fullback has been far more inspirational in his seven years at the Eels than Hayne ever was in his 10 years at the club.

Especially when it comes to Gutherson’s influence on players around him.

From leading the way every single year at those torturous pre-season training sessions where Hayne would often finish near the back of the group.

To coming up with match-defining efforts like in last week’s preliminary final win over the Cowboys, when Gutherson’s desire and desperation denied Jeremiah Nanai what looked a certain try.

And while Hayne could always come up with individual moments of spine-tingling brilliance on the field, he was almost as infamous for his lack of team commitment as he was for God-given talent.

Every coach he ever played under had their own stories of how difficult it was working with Hayne. How his questionable dedication for much of his career often defied his extraordinary on-field accomplishments.

No one will ever forget just how mesmerising Hayne was on that glorious run to the 2009 grand final when he put together six straight man of the match performances to ultimately claim his first Dally M Medal.

But almost as significant in the lasting memory of Parramatta fans would be Hayne’s parting comment in 2014 when Hayne initially quit to go and chase his NFL dream.

That season Hayne was the co-winner of his second Dally M Medal alongside Johnathan Thurston.

Yet, even though the Eels had missed the playoffs, when Hayne walked away it was with a message that he was going to compete against America’s best because he had already accomplished everything there was to do in rugby league.

Former Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith summed it up perfectly at the time: “Well, he hasn’t won a premiership”.

Yet while that didn’t seem high on Hayne’s list of priorities, from that point it was as if karma came back and slapped Hayne in the face as his career self-destructed before our eyes.

At a time Gutherson was just arriving on the scene.

Ironically, when Brad Arthur brought the former Junior Kangaroos fullback over from Manly as a relatively unknown 21-year-old in 2016, Eels legend Peter Sterling came out and labelled another new recruit Kieran Foran the “most important” signing in Parramatta’s history.

“The reason I was so excited when we signed him is because Parramatta needed a player to build a club around with Jarryd Hayne now gone,” Sterling said of Foran.

“Someone who is extremely influential in all areas of the game both on and off the field.

“He is the most important signing that our club has made in living history.”

Little did Sterlo know (or anyone else other than perhaps Arthur) was that the guy with the real influence was going to be the other Sea Eagles signing who ultimately gave Parramatta what Hayne never did.

A leader on and off the field who inspired through hard work and perseverance – don’t forget Gutherson has had to carve out his career following multiple knee reconstructions.

And when he was forced to take over as captain in 2018 because there was no one else at the club who seemed more capable of doing it, it was still well before Gutherson appeared ready for the responsibility.

There were occasions that year when he would walk out of the Eels losing dressing sheds to media conferences with his eyes blood shot red in a season his side finished last.

Perhaps not coincidently, that was also the year Hayne returned to the Eels on the way to his third wooden spoon, and Gutherson’s first and only.

Yet in the four seasons since, the Eels have made the finals every year, culminating in this year’s grand final appearance.

The thing about this Parramatta team is that they don’t have the star power of many of their rivals, which is often viewed as their biggest flaw.

But it’s also no coincidence it is the hard working skipper who sets the standard for others not just to follow but believe in.

No, Gutherson doesn’t possess Hayne’s natural brilliance.

But if both players were in their prime and fighting for the same position today, who do you think Arthur would want wearing the Parramatta No 1 jumper and leading this team?

Incorrect

Coach
Lol.... I know that dude in the Panthers jersey... Well, I don't "know" him know him but I've seen him at Pendle Hill and Parramatta train stations many times. But he's usually wearing a Dragons or Manly jersey, looks like he's switched allegiances yet again....

The bloke isn't the full quid if it wasn't obvious, and people always bait him and used to shout out "Dragons suck" or "Manly suck" depending on which jersey he was wearing, at which point he'd start yelling back much like you see in that clip...

TBH, they probably should pull that clip down, as I say he isn't the full quid....

I remember I was in the 7-11 at Pendo station probably 10+ years ago and he walked in to get his Lotto ticket checked, or to put a new one on or something (he always carries a stack of Lotto tickets with him) and he asks the dude behind the counter where he could manually check or fill in his tickets or whatever the f**k he was doing and old mate behind the counter tells him they don't have that facility but he can check the tickets or whatever online/automatically... The dude just launched in to this tirade, "I DO NOT GO AUTOMATIC. UNDERSTAND?! I DO NOT GO AUTOMATIC, I ONLY CHECK MANUALLY. GUESS WHAT BUDDY, YOU'VE LOST MY BUSINESS. YOU HAVE LOST MY BUSINESS!!" and storms out.... Me and old mate Behind the counter looked at each other like "WTF was that about?"...

Last edited:

Latest posts