What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

yy_cheng

Coach
Same only seen & been to all 3 and never been in the lead once and conceded a try after 10 mins in all 3 GFs.

Its like deja vu all 3.

We only woke up in the last 10 mins & scored 2 tries in the final 10 in each GF when the game was done & dusted.
81-83 were deja vu
84, 86, 77 were deja vu but reversed score
01, 09 were deja vu (we made a comeback)
22, 77 replay were deja vu

King-Gutho94

Coach
I had a mate who is a Manly fan told me he put $100 on Gutho being last try scorer in that GF.

He thought he was home and hosed when Gutho got over with 3 mins to go.

Only for a long shot in Jake to score last who would have been probably around 30-1 haha.

the phantom menace

First Grade
81-83 were deja vu
84, 86, 77 were deja vu but reversed score
01, 09 were deja vu (we made a comeback)
22, 77 replay were deja vu
Gee that was a long gap between 09 and 22... especially when we were pretty close to no chance on GF day in 22 anyway.

Though I guess the gap between 86 and 01 was larger... technically. But less soul destroying perhaps?

Happy MEel

First Grade
There was nothing in that JA story, a beat up from a site known for its extreme BA and JA rumours. Choose to believe what you like.
Quite possibly, but I heard it with my own ears from a family member of Nrown. Make of that what you will and it could be sour grapes but I truly believe that there was at least a slither of truth in it.

TheRam

Coach
I'd make Bryce the Captain tbh Ram
Gutherson and Moses are milkos

Yeah they both annoy me the way they ransom the club, but in Gutho's case he is our best overall leader and probably player too.

As for Carty, he is a different kind of fish so hard to judge at this stage if he would be leadership qualities just yet.

But if he keeps improving and leading in defence like he has been, then I see no reason why he wouldn't be worthy of that honour.

But honestly, thank God we have slowly progressed and moved on from the days when we had virtually no one worthy of the title. Now we seem to have at least 4 or 5 leadership types at least and Hopgood for mine is the latest and youngest of these types. Oh and lets not forget Penisini who is also developing into a leader too, who in 4-5 years time may be worthy of captaincy too. He is very level headed and well spoken and it might also be enough to encourage him to stay in the NRL over Rugby. Who knows, right?

If only our nursery can produce a quality back or two at title could have been on offer already. The current Premiers are the weakest I have ever seen and they may still win another one again this year. The Premiership is there for the taking for any team that can rise just enough to beat a good team that is well coached but not a great team that is hungry and well coached.

Oh why oh why are we so sh*t at producing players ffs!!!

Oh and there is that little thing called defence that we again, on last weeks performance, haven't fixed either. But I'll reserve total judgement till round 5 or 6 at this stage.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Is Gutho no longer appearing on the Big Sports Breakfast on Tuesday mornings. He had been doing weekly interviews for the past 2 years on them on Tuesdays generally.

I just went to spotify to catch up on his podcast and noticed he hasn't been appearing at all this year.

I am assuming it was TPA.

Perhaps he had enough of copping dumb questions from Michael Clarke.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think we should just target another centre/winger. Gutherson is on fullback money and it wouldn’t be worth playing him in the centres at that price.
I remember reading hat Blaize is a 5/8th ... so going down the track, will Dyl take over the 7 ? 2 x 5/8th's may not be the right mix unless we decide to ditch one.

So should really trial Dyl at 1 and later on Blaize at 6.

lucablight

First Grade
I remember reading hat Blaize is a 5/8th ... so going down the track, will Dyl take over the 7 ? 2 x 5/8th's may not be the right mix unless we decide to ditch one.

So should really trial Dyl at 1 and later on Blaize at 6.
Going off his highlights he plays like a five eighth

King-Gutho94

Coach
Youtube channel that i think is run by the NRL called NRL Throwback is putting some videos out of condensed games of 1997 season about 20-25 mins of highlights of some games.

Great stuff i really enjoy seeing games from this era that i was too young to witness.

The Colonel

Immortal

Food for thought as Brown gets green light for Eels​

Jasper Bruce - March 20, 2024

vMVHIOzNEEnsC1MNBCv1o7rptrUTn6FfWTbzRZcv.jpg

SPORT
Parramatta's Dylan Brown has overhauled his diet this season and is feeling better than ever. (Image: Dan Himbrechts/AAP PHOTOS)
There was a time Dylan Brown would do anything he could to avoid eating vegetables.
Now, broccolini is helping the Parramatta five-eighth resurrect a career thrown on to the rocks last season, and he's feeling the best he ever has because of it.
For Brown, 2023 was a year to forget. He pleaded guilty to two counts of unwanted sexual touching following a boozy night out midway through the season.
Banned for seven games, Brown watched on as the Eels' season deteriorated in his absence, the side eventually missing finals despite making the grand final the previous year.
Eels coach Brad Arthur has made no secret of the high expectations he has for Brown, who made a tearful apology and a vow to better himself on his return to the NRL.
He has already shown flashes of his best across the first two rounds of the new season.
Brown was the Eels' creative architect in the 26-18 loss to reigning premiers Penrith last Friday, despite his edge needing to be reshuffled following a concussion to Bailey Simonsson.
Brown set up two tries, the first for second-rower Shaun Lane, with whom he forged a dynamic partnership in the run to the 2022 grand final.
Chasing a comeback season, Brown has overhauled his diet, which he credits for the spring in his step.
"I feel better than ever. I'm just excited to be back playing footy," he told AAP.
"You'd be surprised what you can do when you just eat well and recover well. In previous years, I've been figuring out things.
"Playing NRL is hard, especially 26 weeks of the year, but now I've sort of found the recipe.
"Everyone's got their own little professional things they do."
Eels captain Clint Gutherson has helped Brown stay on track. The pair spent the off-season sending photos of their healthy meals to each other.
McDonalds has been the first thing scrubbed from Brown's meal plan.
Brown admits he's a sucker for a triple cheeseburger meal, with mayo added on, and a large Fanta to wash things down.
The Kiwi international used to hate vegetables so much he'd ask for pickles to be taken off the burger.
Brown is allowing himself a cheat day every now and then, but mostly it's green vegetables
"It's nothing crazy. It's honestly just eating fresh food and staying away from the confectionery aisle," he said.
"I've always hated veges, but that's actually what I'm eating now, only green vegetables, broccolini, butter and garlic. It's the best."
Whatever Brown's doing, it's working in the eyes of his coach.
"What I really liked about his performance and our performance as a team (against Penrith), we didn't get flustered, we stayed calm, they kept responding to each other," Arthur said last Friday night.
"That's really positive signs for us."