What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Noise

Coach
Would you say he was the best player in all those teams though? Cos in my immortal book you would need to be at least as good, but probably better then all your current peers.

I don't think he was even the best player in his club side.
I reckon he was. At least equal to the best. And he was a great leader. Ron Coote and Beetson played in the same teams and are both immortals.

parra pete

Referee
Mal is just lucky in life.

I wish I got that lucky in life playing in a champion team the Raiders were in the early 90s.

Then he coached a QLD side that had 4 potential immortals in it at a time NSW had no identity or clue to win origin.

Any Australian coach that's get beat 30-0 in a test match should be marched out of the joint.

I suppose Mal gave everything to the game and the game is giving back to Mal that gave him everything.

What a Lucky bastard Mal is.
Did you actually EVER see Mal play?.....

TheRam

Coach
I reckon he was. At least equal to the best. And he was a great leader. Ron Coote and Beetson played in the same teams and are both immortals.

I don't.

I think he was a great player and a crowd favourite because he was such a bullacking player, but in my opinion both Daley and Stuart were way more talented. Also if injuries hadn't cruelled him, I think Clyde would have been up there too.

I also think Meninga benefited greatly by playing in an era of relatively much smaller players in general. If he were to have played in say the first two decades of this century where giants were the norm and the wrestle was paramount, then he would not have been as affective as he was.

But Players like Daley and Stuart in particular had true skillful pedigree that would still standout in any era.

Norm Provan was by all reports another said immortal that greatly benefited from the great players around him too. Evan though I never saw him play many who have, said that, as good as his record was at was at club level(10 premierships) he never really shone or excelled at rep level including for Australia. In my book you need to be the man at all levels to be an immortal and judging should not be swayed be any other factors.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mal was a great player but he was no better than Bert IMO, he was lucky in his late career he was playing in that great Canberra side while Bert was stuck with absolute Numpties.

Latest posts