What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels move two games to Telstra Stadium

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/070213/2/13i3a.html
Eels move two games to Telstra Stadium
Thursday October 18, 4:53 PM
AAP

Parramatta will play two home matches at Telstra Stadium next year to capitalise on growing NRL crowd numbers.

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald announced the club would relocate home games against the Bulldogs and St George Illawarra from Parramatta Stadium to Homebush to attract more spectators.

"It is a great opportunity for the Club. The capacity of Telstra Stadium is four times that of Parramatta Stadium and gives us a great chance to play in front of big crowds," Fitzgerald said.

"We saw a number of marquee matches in 2007 that attracted very large crowds and we believe that will only become stronger in coming years.

"This deal enables us to maximise exposure of the club and provide the opportunity for anyone wishing to purchase a ticket to these matches to be able to do so."

The Eels will honour all season tickets at the alternative venue and offer greater corporate facilities.

Suitman

Post Whore
King Denis announced today that THE EELS will be moving their home games against the Bulldogs and Dragons to Telstra Stadium next year to be able to accommodate the increased attendances expected at both games.
Obviously there will be a huge financial benefit from such a decision.
I think it's a great idea, but it further pushes the idea of fast tracking the upgrade of capacity of Parra Stadium.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
Suitman said:
King Denis announced today that THE EELS will be moving their home games against the Bulldogs and Dragons to Telstra Stadium next year to be able to accommodate the increased attendances expected at both games.
Obviously there will be a huge financial benefit from such a decision.
I think it's a great idea, but it further pushes the idea of fast tracking the upgrade of capacity of Parra Stadium.

Suity

Source was 2UE news at 5.00 pm.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Interesting...... given the crowds that they can quite possibly draw if both sides are playing well the financial benefit would be substantial. I think we could possibly outdraw the 35,000 the Souths/Dogs game drew on the back of both games however it could be a waste if we or either the Dogs or Dragons aren't travelling in the eight at that stage..

Hurriflatch

Referee
so we give the Dogs another home game

and don't the Dragons also play a few games a year at Telstra?

what next move the home game against the Panthers to CUA stadium?

or maybe move the home game against Brisbane to Sandcrap stadium?

then maybe move the home game against the Storm to Telstra Dome and let Brian Waldon mark the field?

Fu*king stupid gay arsed cra*

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Interesting...... given the crowds that they can quite possibly draw if both sides are playing well the financial benefit would be substantial. I think we could possibly outdraw the 35,000 the Souths/Dogs game drew.

Exactly.
It would be a massive financial boost for the club.
Smart thinking.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
so we give the Dogs another home game

and don't the Dragons also play a few games a year at Telstra?

what next move the home game against the Panthers to CUA stadium?

or maybe move the home game against Brisbane to Sandcrap stadium?

then maybe move the home game against the Storm to Telstra Dome and let Brian Waldon mark the field?

Fu*king stupid gay arsed cra*

Thank god you're not in charge.

Suity

Hurriflatch

Referee
financial sminancial

the prize money for winning the comp would be bigger then what these games will bring in

Stagger eel

Staff member
originally it was going to be 4 games...

I will now propose that the club will have 2 functions with fans straight after the game as we now have the facillities readily available...;-)

Suitman

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
financial sminancial

the prize money for winning the comp would be bigger then what these games will bring in

Prizemoney for winning the NRL is peanuts.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
EELS TO PLAY TWO MATCHES AT TELSTRA STADIUM IN 2008
Thursday 18 October 2007

The Parramatta National Rugby League Club is pleased to announce that it will play two of its home matches of the 2008 Premiership season at Telstra Stadium.

The opponents in those matches will be the Bulldogs and St George Illawarra.

Parramatta Eels Chief Executive Denis Fitzgerald says it is exciting news for the Club.

"It is a great opportunity for the Club. The capacity of Telstra Stadium is four times that of Parramatta Stadium and gives us a great chance to play in front of big crowds," Mr Fitzgerald said

"All of those people who have purchased Season Tickets for the 2008 season will have their seats transferred to Telstra Stadium for those two matches and the corporate facilities enable the Club to entertain our growing number of corporate partners in great style," Mr Fitzgerald added.

"We saw a number of marquee matches in 2007 that attracted very large crowds and we believe that will only become stronger in coming years. This deal enables us to maximize exposure of the Club and provide the opportunity for anyone wishing to purchase a ticket to these matches to be able to do so," Mr Fitzgerald said.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/news1663.asp

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
financial sminancial

the club is in a great deal of stress financially with the pokie tax and the new smioking laws, don't be surprised there is a cutback of revenue from the LC to the FC..

we need to look at other ways to gain some sort of revenue into our coffers other than depending on the Leagues club and this is one of them.

The Colonel

Immortal
Hurriflatch said:
financial sminancial

Given some of the deal that have been given to Souths, Tigers and Bulldogs to stay out there I would say that the two games would net the same if not more than the prize for winning the comp. Given that so many teams and finals are played at Telstra you can't argue the home field advantage for any one team is increased at all. The advantage to the team could well be gained by playing in front of large crowds....

Gronk

Staff member
"All of those people who have purchased Season Tickets for the 2008 season will have their seats transferred to Telstra Stadium for those two matches and the corporate facilities enable the Club to entertain our growing number of corporate partners in great style," Mr Fitzgerald added."

Yeah well I have a great seat at Parra. Undercover and close to the halfway. I expect a similar possie Denis ! :fist:

Hurriflatch

Referee
I've got no problem with moving games to Telstra

but not games of those team(s) that play there regularly

with Telstra paying $$$ just to get their venue used wouldn't games against Brisbane, Penrith, Storm, Manly all net the same gains as those against the Tigers, Bunnies or Dogs?

Suitman

Post Whore
Suitman said:

Suity

I reiterate.........

Without a decent home ground capacity, this might be the impetus for a further push to Telstra for more games in years to come.
Either that, or the Eels will be looking for a better financial deal from the Parramatta Stadium Trust, on top of the upgrade.

Suity.