What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Ryles

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • Morris

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Cheika

Votes: 33 39.8%

• Total voters

King-Gutho94

Coach
What's everyone's reasonable time frame do they expect from the board to appoint a coach.

With origin camp starting next week anyone involved in that is likely to push back any talks for at least 3 weeks post next week.

Is it 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks.

We have to get the decision right but at the same time we don't want to be sitting here in late July post origin and no decision has been made.

Because it's just going to affect contract negotiations trying to recruit and retain.

Incorrect

Coach
What's everyone's reasonable time frame do they expect from the board to appoint a coach.

With origin camp starting next week anyone involved in that is likely to push back any talks for at least 3 weeks post next week.

We have to get the decision right but at the same time we don't want to be sitting here in late July post origin and no decision has been made.

Because it's just going to affect contract negotiations trying to recruit and retain.
What is the cutoff date for players transferring to other clubs mid season?? Is it June 30 or later? Whenever it is, I'd like to think the incoming coach would have a say on who we might bring in before that deadline given it usually means they're on your books for at least the following season if not beyond.

So on that basis, sooner than later tbh...

eels_fan

First Grade
As expected…..

Queensland have received a huge boost with Billy Slater declaring he won’t be walking out on the Maroons to chase the vacant head-coaching position at Parramatta.

Speculation sweeping league circles suggested Slater and his NSW Origin rival Michael Maguire could be targets to replace Brad Arthur, who was sacked as Parramatta coach on Monday.

“I am all in for the Queensland job and if I’m not coaching Queensland, I’m not coaching anyone else,” Slater said.

“I have been very forward with that.

“For that (Slater linked to Eels post) to be a statement over the last 24 hours … this is the first time I have been asked about this issue.

“I’m Queensland’s coach and if I’m not Queensland’s coach, I’m not coaching anyone.”

“Where I am at with my life and my family, I don’t foresee myself in the near future ever becoming an NRL coach.”

Pazza

First Grade

1 month

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sydney Sweeney.

Claudia Black.
Tonight Show Hello GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Suitman

Post Whore
Out of all the suggested candidates so far, my gut feel is also Michael Cheika.
Yes, it is left field.
I'm not at all worried about his RU heritage.
What I like most is his ability to motivate - something we have been severely consistently lacking for a long time now.
A change of tactics would also be nice, as well as just getting the basics right, something we have been very poor at and slow to improve for so long.

I'm not sure that a Ryles appointment would be so bad although I don't know what he would have to offer. All coaches (like Fitzgibbon) were newbies at some stage of their coaching career.
We could end up with a Kearney, or we could end up with a Bellamy.
None of us keyboard experts know, and nor would anyone at the club if we went down that path.

This is why I stated the other day that this is the most important coaching appointment in the club's history.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yes, it is left field.
What I like most is his ability to motivate - something we have been severely consistently lacking for a long time now.
A change of tactics would also be nice, as well as just getting the basics right, something we have been very poor at and slow to improve for so long.
Cheika is a good fit for a big club that we want to be.

He is a self made businessman for starters so he is no fool.

Just because he played & coached rugby doesn't mean he hasnt been watching Rugby League his whole life and wouldn't have a clue.

His leadership and man-management is second to none & he has the temperament & experience to handle to pressure and expectation with the media when it comes to coaching a big club like us.

I get the sense also coaching the NRL is an itch he wants to scratch and he wouldn't back down from a fight either.

I wouldnt be judging his record with the wallabies there a bigger lost cause then us.

He took the Waratahs to there only title in Super Rugby.

He would get buy in from Moses straight away and lets be honest Moses is our most crucial player moving forward for the next 5 years.

He even convinced Israel Folau to go to rugby when that debacle with Ian Schubert putting a minimum value on him to come to Parra got blocked.

So he can be pervasive as well i reckon.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Cheika is a good fit for a big club that we want to be.

He is a self made businessman for starters so he is no fool.
Just because he played & coached rugby doesn't mean he hasnt been watching Rugby League his whole life and wouldn't have a clue.
His leadership and man-management is second to none & he has the temperament & experience to handle to pressure and expectation with the media when it comes to coaching a big club like us.
I get the sense also coaching the NRL is an itch he wants to scratch and he wouldn't back down from a fight either.
I wouldnt be judging his record with the wallabies there a bigger lost cause then us.
He took the Waratahs to there only title in Super Rugby.
He would get buy in from Moses straight away and lets be honest Moses is our most crucial player moving forward for the next 5 years.
He even convinced Israel Folau to go to rugby when that debacle with Ian Schubert putting a minimum value on him to come to Parra got blocked.
So he can be pervasive as well i reckon.
I reckon great coaching skills are transferable.
I recall an interview with Gibson many years ago and he was asked about the temperament of John McEnroe and how he would deal with him. Gibbos reply "I wouldnt do him any harm"

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
Yes, it is left field.

I'm not sure that a Ryles appointment would be so bad although I don't know what he would have to offer. All coaches (like Fitzgibbon) were newbies at some stage of their coaching career.
We could end up with a Kearney, or we could end up with a Bellamy.
None of us keyboard experts know, and nor would anyone at the club if we went down that path.

This is why I stated the other day that this is the most important coaching appointment in the club's history.
If we did go Cheika you’d want someone like Luke Burt and David Furner as his assistants. Even McGregor or Dean Pay.