What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Ryles

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters

Soto

Bench
Massive no to Madge, last thing we need to another dopey Dinosaur.
I disagree...madge is a very good coach.
He is intense and knows and loves footy.
Also think he could potentially attract players with his recent stints as NZ coach, assistant/consultant to Canberra and now NSW state of origin.
We need an intense coach to fire up some of these pea hearts

King-Gutho94

Coach
I disagree...madge is a very good coach.
He is intense and knows and loves footy.
Also think he could potentially attract players with his recent stints as NZ coach, assistant/consultant to Canberra and now NSW state of origin.
We need an intense coach to fire up some of these pea hearts
Well Ricky bought all those quality rep players across when he joined Parra as the NSW Coach

You reckon Madge would actually be able too.

Soto

Bench
Well Ricky bought all those quality rep players across when he joined Parra as the NSW Coach

You reckon Madge would actually be able too.
You can't just instantly bring players across for various reasons but I would've preferred a coach who has actually had the reigns of a 1st grade team before..and no I'm not including Barrett here either...
Again I don't think Madge is any chance regardless..
What would I know anyway

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are you having second thoughts Pou? I'm off Hannay. A man that doesn't look after his teeth cannot lead men. I'm thinking Ryles or even Madge and I think Madge is quite one dimensional like BA requiring a hip replacement.
I’m happy with whichever merkin the board chooses. They made the hard decision sacking Arthur, so I assume they will be making hard decisions elsewhere as well. I’m unconvinced that MON is the main problem or even a problem at all. He was here for the build when we made the finals. What if Arthur’s influence overrode O'Neill's judgement and the club retained the wrong merkins? We don't know. But we do know they sacked Arthur and not MON.

JokerEel

Coach
I’m happy with whichever merkin the board chooses. They made the hard decision sacking Arthur, so I assume they will be making hard decisions elsewhere as well. I’m unconvinced that MON is the main problem or even a problem at all. He was here for the build when we made the finals. What if Arthur’s influence overrode O'Neill's judgement and the club retained the wrong merkins? We don't know. But we do know they sacked Arthur and not MON.

You definitely have to be Mark O'Neill

Johnny88

Juniors
Sharks and Maroons assistant Josh Hannay moves one step closer to taking over Parramatta coaching role
Josh Hannay has found time between his duties as an assistant for the Sharks and Maroons to hold a second interview with the Parramatta Eels, but allegiances are split among club heavyweights.

Parramatta’s search for a new coach has intensified with Josh Hannay understood to have conducted his second interview with the club over the weekend.
Hannay has been absent over the past fortnight through his roles as an assistant coach with Cronulla, who played Canterbury on Friday night, and Queensland, who contested State of Origin II in Melbourne last Wednesday.
He has previously been involved in a 10-day camp with the Maroons.
This masthead was told Hannay had been interviewed a second time, which is understood to have taken place either Saturday or Sunday.
Parramatta management is refusing to release any key details about their pursuit of a new coach.

The process is moving slowly and it’s unlikely Parramatta will announce their new coach any time this week.
Hannay, Trent Barrett, Jason Ryles and Dean Young remain the key candidates to replace sacked Brad Arthur.
Influential figures at the club are split between Hannay and Ryles.
None of the candidates are fully aware of their chances and none have yet been formally ruled out.
Interim coach Barrett and his Eels were desperately unlucky to lose to Newcastle on Saturday night.
Hannay’s heavy schedule with Cronulla and Queensland has made it difficult to meet with Parramatta.
Storm assistant coach Ryles was at AAMI Park over the weekend watching the Storm play Canberra on Saturday night.
And St George Illawarra assistant Young was unavailable on Sunday with the Dragons playing the Dolphins at Kogarah

I’ll catch up with them (Parramatta) post-Origin,” Hannay told 2GB.
“Given the schedule I’ve had the last month, it has been difficult to find the time. We’ll catch up after game two and see where it all lands.
“I think in my own mind, there’s no doubt about my readiness. I’ve stated that publicly, so we will see where it all lands.
“There’s not a lot from my end to tell, it’s an ongoing process and we’ll take a step forward after game two.“
Barrett has the support of Parramatta’s playing group.
“I just feel like I’m ready to be successful and it’s a club I really want to coach,” Barrett said a fortnight ago.
“This feels like the right club for me now. I feel I can help the club and players. The lessons I’ve learned, I think I can add value to the club. I’d like to be given an opportunity.
“I love coaching and have had my time back as an assistant. I get on really well with the players but you don’t have to be liked to be respected. The squad is a little older. They are men and I don’t have to baby them, I can be upfront.”

Chipmunk

Coach
If I was interviewing I’d ask both candidates who they’d think they could convince to come with them player wise.

We desperately need some new blood.
I interviewed some coaches for a local second division comp team back in the late 90's. Of the two candidates, one said he could bring Kerry Hemsley, the other said he could bring a couple of former Raiders.

Both seemed like bullshit comments to get the job...

In fairness, the successful candidate did bring one former Raiders player.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Now that you are settling in for the spoon, I can offer some counselling tips on how to cope.

Each day:

The first thing you have to do is to remove a wooden spoon from the second draw in the kitchen, when you are alone.

Pull down pants and smack your bare bottom until the rawness passes and all you get is tingling.

After awhile, Mr spoon becomes your best friend.
Which end of the spoon am I supposed to use?

hindy111

Post Whore

Are you suggesting backhand deals?