What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cherry picking the peak times. His best 2 yrs he still only had the 7th and 8th best points differential
It’s not cherry picking because it includes 2023 and ‘24 (44% win rate) and doesn’t include ‘16-‘17 (58%). His record pre and post the new management structure doesn’t show him becoming a better coach. It shows the club becoming bigger almost overnight. That’s how important governance is.

In response to that revenue article, where we were about fifth, Sarantinos described how much it had improved. Self serving, for sure, but I have no doubt it’s an accurate statement.

Last edited:

Pazza

First Grade
They were, thanks to his recruitment and tactics. Then the following three years they weren’t perfectly suited, and he had to rebuild. During that time, bigger clubs with better rosters (Roosters, Dogs and Broncos) didn’t decline. Their players were well suited to any interpretation of the rules.

There was no doubt Smith had a good grasp on the game. But I wouldn't call him a tactical genius.. if he was he would have won a premiership

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There was no doubt Smith had a good grasp on the game. But I wouldn't call him a tactical genius.. if he was he would have won a premiership
He made four grand finals, and many more preliminary finals with overachieving teams. Tactics got him there. But in any given game, tactics have limited impact, which is why he struggled to win the three or four consecutive games required for a premiership. What Smith’s teams lacked was leadership, which is no doubt his fault, for reasons I’ve already mansplained.

Pazza

First Grade
He made four grand finals, and many more preliminary finals with overachieving teams. Tactics got him there. But in any given game, tactics have limited impact, which is why he struggled to win the three or four consecutive games required for a premiership. What Smith’s teams lacked was leadership, which is no doubt his fault, for reasons I’ve already mansplained.

Like I said smart opperator, not genius

He most likely had an issue with strong personalities... prob why tallis sat out a season

Brian Smith would be a f**king terrible idea. The club & fans obsession with the past is one of its biggest detriments. We need to start looking forwards not backwards.

JokerEel

Coach
I’ll say it again, the longer this goes on the less likelihood it is anyone already speculated.

I am going to guess either Payton - who is trying to negotiate with the Cowboys on a release quietly or
Madge who is waiting for SOO to finish. If neither of them can get out of their contract they will go with one of the rookies..

King-Gutho94

Coach
Like I said smart opperator, not genius

He most likely had an issue with strong personalities... prob why tallis sat out a season
Yep Smith loved being in full control of the players. It's why he loved sending them stupid text messages night before games.

Players don't need that rubbish a night before a game.

Cayless and Hindmarsh were yes men foot soldiers which is why they loved by Brian.

Strong personalities like Lyon, Tallis who had success as leaders elsewhere.

Clashed and moved on.

Stevie

Bench
I am going to guess either Payton - who is trying to negotiate with the Cowboys on a release quietly or
Madge who is waiting for SOO to finish. If neither of them can get out of their contract they will go with one of the rookies..
Wow, really covered your bases there.

Parra Pride

Referee

Pazza

First Grade
Yep Smith loved being in full control of the players. It's why he loved sending them stupid text messages night before games.

Players don't need that rubbish a night before a game.

Cayless and Hindmarsh were yes men foot soldiers which is why they loved by Brian.

Strong personalities like Lyon, Tallis who had success as leaders elsewhere.

Clashed and moved on.

We developed some seriously good players during that late 90s early 00s period.

I wonder why Andrew Ryan moved on? He went on to have a very good career