What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels plan to sign Peats

Peats makes tough decision to leave Rabbitohs for Eels
Date
July 24, 2013

Michael Chammas
Rugby league reporter

Parramatta have fitted another piece into the puzzle the club has been trying to solve for the past four years, signing South Sydney hooker Nathan Peats to a three-year deal.

The Eels opted out of negotiations with Penrith rake Kevin Kingston, who has since re-signed with the Panthers, instead returning to their first option following the decision by English international James Roby to turn down a deal from Parramatta.

The Rabbitohs granted Peats a release from the final two years of his contract, which he agreed to in March.

On the hop: Rabbitohs hooker Nathan Peats will join the Eels on a three-year deal. Photo: Getty Images
On his Twitter account, Peats said it was a tough decision, ''the biggest of my life''. ''I'm a Souths junior and love the club to death but to further my career I believe it's what's best for me,'' he wrote.

Advertisement
''There is a long way to go before the season is over and I'm fully committed to Souths and having a year to remember.

''This is my first and last talk about the situation.''

The news of Peats' signing came on the day fellow recruit Corey Norman was dumped to the Queensland Cup by Broncos coach Anthony Griffin. Brisbane halfback Peter Wallace has also felt the brunt of Griffin's frustrations, relegated to the bench with Ben Hunt named at halfback.

North Queensland back-rower and fringe Blues player Tariq Sims has also been dropped to the Queensland Cup by coach Neil Henry.

Gold Coast welcome back representative duo Greg Bird and Nate Myles for their clash with South Sydney after coach John Cartwright rested the pair after Origin III. The Warriors will be without Glen Fisiiahi (pectoral injury) for the rest of the season, handing Ngani Laumape his chance on the wing.

Luke Lewis misses out on the chance to play against the club he captained last year, however, Wade Graham returns for Cronulla for the clash against his former club Penrith on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...hs-for-eels-20130723-2qhhx.html#ixzz2Zv7hMLAx

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yeah thanks bunnies... Give peats a release when he asks for one, but ignore keary's request...

No wonder I hate you.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Yeah thanks bunnies... Give peats a release when he asks for one, but ignore keary's request...

No wonder I hate you.
Ironically enough Peats was released so that we could keep Keary. Souths will be offering an upgraded contract to secure him long-term as well as re-signing Tom Burgess.

I like Peats attitude and I think he is a great defender, but I've always thought he was a rubbish hooker.

If you look at our stats over the last few years when Peats has replaced Bully for a period of time in the hooking role, the number of points we score is way down and the number we concede is way up.

I just don't think he has that spark or pace from dummy half that is needed to be a genuine first grade hooker. From the first time I saw him back in our 20's team I thought that he would develop into a good back rower / lock forward. If the Eels have picked him up to play Hooker then imo they have made a mistake.

In saying that he fits firmly into the Ricky Stuart mould of player. Slow, solid defending non creative back rower type who will make a million tackles if you let him.

Ricky will probably have him playing at half back or in the centres by the end of next year.

Isaaxe

Juniors
There is a rumour that the Eels are going to sign a hooker and another forward soon.

Peats may not play hooker at Parramatta.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Some of the comments about peats in 2013 are eerily similar to comments about mcinnes this year. He was even called a dud!

DiegoNT

First Grade
I just remember that at the time Peats copped the same criticism mcinnes is now. He is to slow, he lacks direction. He is just a tackler, he is Maguire's pet, our team falls apart when he is on etc. The only thing wrong with peats was that he wasn't isaac luke. When peats was available mid season everyone begged the club to get him and he is now one of the games premier hookers and next in line for the blues number 9

Rabbits20

Immortal
I just remember that at the time Peats copped the same criticism mcinnes is now. He is to slow, he lacks direction. He is just a tackler, he is Maguire's pet, our team falls apart when he is on etc. The only thing wrong with peats was that he wasn't isaac luke. When peats was available mid season everyone begged the club to get him and he is now one of the games premier hookers and next in line for the blues number 9
Peats was always better than Cam.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Are you sure about that. Many of the same criticisms levelled at cam now are the same criticisms levelled at peats in 2012-13
Just my view.

Peats looked better than Cam.

Peats has always been quicker too with passing and giving direction.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Just my view.

Peats looked better than Cam.

Peats has always been quicker too with passing and giving direction.
At the time on social media a huge portion of souths fans called peats slow, he lacks direction, he stops our momentum, he is maguires pet, he is just a tackler, he has no running game, the guy isnt first grade standard etc

Rabbits20

Immortal
At the time on social media a huge portion of souths fans called peats slow, he lacks direction, he stops our momentum, he is maguires pet, he is just a tackler, he has no running game, the guy isnt first grade standard etc
I know that but I didn't agree with them.

Curns13

Juniors
Peats has proven all of those people wrong. Time will tell if Cam can do the same, I'm skeptical but hopeful.

Latest posts