What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forty20

First Grade
For all his talk about not wanting to take hope away from the fans, Greenburg was spot on when he said the NRL had learned from the Melbourne Storm saga...

Canterbury and Melbourne both assembled squads that they were for all intents allowed to keep intact (Melbourne lost Inglis) and both rallied quickly to go on and win titles following their penalty year. It would seem the NRL is having none of it with us as we become the only club to have long term cap ramifications, even if we only assembled a Top 8 roster compared to the dynasty tier rosters of the then Dogs and Storm. Not to mention we are the only club of the three to become cap compliant in the same season as the cheating was exposed.

For all his talk about not wanting to take hope away from the fans, Greenburg was spot on when he said the NRL had learned from the Melbourne Storm saga...

Canterbury and Melbourne both assembled squads that they were for all intents allowed to keep intact (Melbourne lost Inglis) and both rallied quickly to go on and win titles following their penalty year. It would seem the NRL is having none of it with us as we become the only club to have long term cap ramifications, even if we only assembled a Top 8 roster compared to the dynasty tier rosters of the then Dogs and Storm. Not to mention we are the only club of the three to become cap compliant in the same season as the cheating was exposed.

Well said.

Delboy

First Grade
I think it's obvious that Greenturds bias for clubs such as Dogs, Roosters and Broncos had absolutely nothing to do with the punishment handed down , such an honourable person

Djay

Juniors

Spot on, and f**k it shits me.

It's a joke.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm thinking that the media are conveniently leaving some obvious info out here, to add some drama.

Surely if a TPA has been deemed to be illegally created, then that TPA would need to apply to the cap. However if we have been able to replace it with a legit TPA then there is no way that they can punish us further ?

I don't get the Watmough thing at all.

Can any of you blokes ever accept that this may be largely our own fault, without trying to blame everyone else? While the apparent sanctions for 2017 etc may appear a bit odd, the 12 point penalty we've been hit with (provisionally) is substantially lighter than other clubs copped. The fact that we subsequently became cap compliant doesn't change the fact that (if proven) we engaged in systematic attempts to cheat the cap. The NRL didn't make us do that.

On the SMH article....there's no mention in there of whether any of those TPAs were subsumed in the Marquee Player Allowance.

IFR33K

Coach
Can any of you blokes ever accept that this may be largely our own fault, without trying to blame everyone else? While the apparent sanctions for 2017 etc may appear a bit odd, the 12 point penalty we've been hit with (provisionally) is substantially lighter than other clubs copped. The fact that we subsequently became cap compliant doesn't change the fact that (if proven) we engaged in systematic attempts to cheat the cap. The NRL didn't make us do that.

On the SMH article....there's no mention in there of whether any of those TPAs were subsumed in the Marquee Player Allowance.

Barry yes we fcked up, big time.

But the penalties are obsurd. Neither the dogs or storm carried any cap penalties into the following years. The fallout from these dodgy tpa deals are going to be felt in 2018 and 2019. What hope have they given for the fans and the club, as a result of incompetent admin.

I would of much rathered playing for 0 this year and and not being penalised in 2017 and 18.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member

What's your point ? If we have been caught fiddling the books then our season should be over for 2016. That's what happened for Dogs, Storm etc.

What Toddy failed to explain at the presser, was that the punishment was not actually 12 points, get cap compliant for the rest of 2016 and $1m fine. It runs deeper than that and you cannot expect fans to be happy when the goal posts are seemingly shifted every week. Now we find out that in 2017 & 2018 we are not going to be able to compete under the same cap as our competitors. IF that is the case and we are not afforded the opportunity to replace the TPAs then fans will think that we have been hit with new sanctions. I totally get why they are pissed.

What fans want is to be dealt with the same way as the Dogs & Storm. Don't deliver a punishment which ends our 2016 season with a comforting "I'm thinking of the fans" speech when really you are setting us up to fail in 2016/17/18.

yy_cheng

Coach
We should really try and iffload foran now

I caan also now see where the semi to leave rumours make sense as well.

However, I'd rather offload Jennings and put semi at centre.

yy_cheng

Coach
1. Hayne with lotsa legsl tpa
2. French
3. Taka
4. Semi
5. Gutha
6. Norman
7. Wallace
8. Manah
9. Kaysa
10. Wicks
11 mau
12 scott
13 ke

14 nelson. Or King
15 alvaro
16 peni
17 teps

yy_cheng

Coach
Or hayne at 6 french at 1

Get kenny sio back

The way semi skips arouns players re, imds me of a 2005 tahu

Barry yes we fcked up, big time.

But the penalties are obsurd. Neither the dogs or storm carried any cap penalties into the following years. The fallout from these dodgy tpa deals are going to be felt in 2018 and 2019. What hope have they given for the fans and the club, as a result of incompetent admin.

I would of much rathered playing for 0 this year and and not being penalised in 2017 and 18.

Umm....if we have been a party to TPAs agreed for 2017 and 2018 that the NRL have deemed are not at arms length, how do you think they should be treated?

Barry, we haven't been punished substantially less than the Dogs and Storm IMO. The punishment we got effectively reduced our chances of winning the comp by something like 90% (guesstimate obviously). So effectively we're getting punished 90% of what they were. Then we hear that we will continue to be punished for years to come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts