What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels show interest in Jason Smith

Gronk

Staff member
Meanwhile, it is thought Parramatta have become the latest club to take an interest in veteran Canberra playmaker Jason Smith after missing out on Melbourne five-eighth Scott Hill.
It is understood Hill has agreed to a two-year deal with London Harlequins, who shifted former North Sydney captain Tony Rea from the coaching job to recruitment and development and released former Manly halfback Luke Dorn to Salford.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/d...to-gowers-plans/2006/07/11/1152383744682.html

Nickeel

Juniors
eelavation said:
imo he wouldn't compliment Tim's game, we need a running 6 not an organiser imo.

I agree.

But in saying that, where is this running 5/8 coming from?

Nick

The Colonel

Immortal
Nope, they have half a beer and a smoke waiting for him on the sidelines for when he usually takes a break.

Nickeel

Juniors
eelavation said:
I honestly believe PJ can be the man..

I would have to agree with that also.

But then who is coming on for Pig? Bring someone up into that bench role?

Nick

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nickeel said:
I would have to agree with that also.

But then who is coming on for Pig? Bring someone up into that bench role?

Nick

If Hages adpts a similer approach to Taylor/Smith I would imagine that Matt Keating could be the man.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
One of those two dragon hookers that are off contract would be a handy pickup, if we wanted to move peej to 5/8 that is.

Gorrell would mean we also get a recognised goal kicker, which we might not have next year, part from the pig who doesnt kick that well anyway

Stagger eel

Staff member
the question remains..does Hages want to adopt a similar bench style as the one we currently have? he's been using 4 forwards off the bench for Newcastle what's to say he won't do the same with us?? after all, we do lose Dean and may well lose PJ's impact if we don't sign a five eight.

Utey

Coach
Maybe his looking at an 80 min hooker, it'll be very intresting. Always liked Smithys bench style.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
:cry: Please retire Smithy, or go to the Roosters, just don't come back here PLEASE!!

Let go by the club back in 2000 and now 6 years, hundreds of beers, thousands of smokes and alot less pace later they want him back... what is wrong with this club? Jason Smith could ruin Timmy's career, he'd dominate the play too much and Tim would be left out and fail to make an impact because he doesn't have a running game.

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
:cry: Please retire Smithy, or go to the Roosters, just don't come back here PLEASE!!

Let go by the club back in 2000 and now 6 years, hundreds of beers, thousands of smokes and alot less pace later they want him back... what is wrong with this club? Jason Smith could ruin Timmy's career, he'd dominate the play too much and Tim would be left out and fail to make an impact because he doesn't have a running game.

In principle, I agree with you, but I think you're being a little over dramatic when you claim that he'll ruin his career..Tim definitey needs a running five eight and Jason shouldn't be in the equation.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Maybe it's over the top but I don't see how having a 35 year old dominant playmaker who also doesn't have a running game can benefit a young player already struggling for confidence. If Tim fails to shine alongside Jason Smith, who do you think Hagan will drop first? He's off contract next year and if Hagan drops him because he doesn't seem to be performing then I really don't know if he'll stay.

Todd Carney is evidence of how a promising young player's career has been hurt by Jason, he was in good form until Smithy came back, now he's playing bad again. They don't compliment eachother either and it will be the same if Jason comes here.

Stagger eel

Staff member
regardless, it's all innuendo, I honestly don't believe that we're the club that's interested in the bloke..I think it's a bullsh*t article..and when you look at the wording it maintains that were "thought" to be the club.

pure speculation, based on the fact that Hill will be heading O/S and that there's a mystery club competing with the Roosters for a contract.

we won't sign him imo.

cardinal

Juniors
All of a sudden Tim is a world beater who is going to lead the team to glory next year, and needs no help in doing so. All he needs is a ball running 5/8 apparently. Tim will be a champion no dought about it but untill the last 2 games everyone had decided it seemed he should be banished to premier league as he was so low on confidence. So now we have people saying dont sign Jason Smith because he is to old and doesnt run the ball. Tim and Blake would learn so much with Jason at the club have you guys seen some of the plays he puts on with ordinary players around him, he would be awsome with the talent in our team. I would love to see tim setting up T and Eric on one side of the field and Jason doing the same with Ben and Jaryd, as well as putting Hindy and Lowrie into holes. Jason would have as much pace as sterling did,you dont need it if you have got it between the ears. It would be terrible to have him at the club if Tim got injured again !

Parraren

Bench
Gronk said:
Meanwhile, it is thought Parramatta have become the latest club to take an interest in veteran Canberra playmaker Jason Smith after missing out on Melbourne five-eighth Scott Hill. It is understood Hill has agreed to a two-year deal with London Harlequins, who shifted former North Sydney captain Tony Rea from the coaching job to recruitment and development and released former Manly halfback Luke Dorn to Salford.

Great piece of journalism that.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Look, I don't think he'd be a bad signing, for insurance purposes only. At the end of the day, we need a 5/8. It may be PJ, it may be Green or someone else. Smith would at least bring us loads of experience and depth in a position we need.

His age is a concern. On last years form he'd be a sensation but he has shown signs this year that the constant wear and tear of a tough NRL season might be too much for him.

Parra Pete seems to think he's going to the Cowboys anyway...

Latest posts