What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels show interest in Jason Smith

HevyDevy

Coach
Incidentally, if any of you work in the city and read mX on the way home, Jason Smith commented on it yesterday.

Stagger eel

Staff member
HevyDevy said:
Incidentally, if any of you work in the city and read mX on the way home, Jason Smith commented on it yesterday.

what about those who don't work in the City?? ;-) ...what did he say Hev?

HevyDevy

Coach
From mX:

Raiders five-eighth Jason Smith said he would welcome a return to Parramatta next
season after the club confirmed an interest in the veteran
playmaker.
Smith's name has been linked with half a dozen clubs including South Sydney, North Queensland and Sydney Roosters but Smith, who played with the Eels from 1996 to 2000, said Parramatta would be an attractive option.
``I wouldn't rule it out it would be good to play with someone like Tim Smith,'' the 36-year-old said today.
``I know from playing against him that he is one of the stars of the future along with Benji (Marshall) and Sonny Bill (Williams).
``I left the club on good terms.
``Unfortunately we didn't win a grand final, but we came close three years running so I've got good memories of the place.
``Nathan Hindmarsh, Mick Vella and Nathan Cayless were all there so I still know quite a few of the players.''
Smith said he would ideally move to the Gold Coast next season where he plans to settle once his career comes to a close, but the Titans have shown little interest during brief discussions.
He also laughed off suggestions he had held talks with former teammate and Roosters Premier League coach Jim Dymock about a move to Bondi.
``We played the Roosters three weeks ago; that's when I spoke to him,'' Smith said. ``He's one of my best mates so that's where that came from.''
Smith said he was still largely in the dark about his future while manager Sam Ayoub continues negotiations.
``It's flattering to read about all of these clubs being interested, but I have no idea how true any of them are,'' he said

yy_cheng

Coach
The best way in my mind is to play him off the bench like widders.

Let Timmy and PJ/Green have a go first. If they are going well, let them be.

Jason can them come on and be an ALTERNATIVE PLAYMAKER.

So if Tim or Green asks for the ball, that is who the dummy half should throw it to first.

I don't watch alot of Canberra games (find them boring) does anyone know if he can still play the running backrower role (at his age)?

He used to be a strong runner, standing up in tackles and able to slip passes out. He would be handy out wide and a good backup if the halves fail.

number8

Juniors
I like his honesty & what he says seems more.... I don't know..... Not cliche, I guess. Good to hear something other than regurgetated Manager drivvel

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I love watching Jason Smith and really enjoy his skills. He is a true footballer instead of an athlete. However I don't think he is suited to Parra at the moment. He is imo the best 5/8th option on the market but not a great fit for us.

As a lot of people have mentioned, what we need is a running 5/8th with the skills to take the pressure off Timmy when needed. That is why I hope PJ may be the answer

jayman

Juniors
everyone says that smiths style of play wont suit parra.. but smiths a vetern of the game... iam sure hagan will hammer out a combination that would help smith evolve his game to enhance tim smiths game...

when he came back to canberra.. i was hoping he would return to parra.. i still do.. i think he could impart some good knowledge to tim smith.. and this coupled with the knowledge of hagan from coaching johns.. id expect tim smith to blossom very quickly

Stagger eel

Staff member
jayman said:
everyone says that smiths style of play wont suit parra.. but smiths a vetern of the game... iam sure hagan will hammer out a combination that would help smith evolve his game to enhance tim smiths game...

when he came back to canberra.. i was hoping he would return to parra.. i still do.. i think he could impart some good knowledge to tim smith.. and this coupled with the knowledge of hagan from coaching johns.. id expect tim smith to blossom very quickly

you're right the bloke is a legend at our club did alot in the 4 years he was here but as T-BONE says, he just isn't suited to our style of play.

True EEL

Bench
i'm sorry, but the Jason Smith era is over as far as i'm concerened, they surely can't sign him - again can they..........????

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
eelavation said:
you're right the bloke is a legend at our club did alot in the 4 years he was here but as T-BONE says, he just isn't suited to our style of play.

The thing is as I was writing that piece I was even starting to second guess myself.

Say we do sign Jason. It would mean we could have a ball player either side of the ruck with Tim one side and Jason the other creating two dilemna's for opposing defences especially near the try line. Also as Jason is a natural ball player and gifted passer of the ball it would mean our backs would see more ball than with Morris playing 5/8th. Can you also imagine our forwards (such as Fui) running off intelligent Jason Smith balls close to the line. I am now now not as sure that he wouldn't suit us. Sorry for the continual changing of mind.

However I must say that his age and durability is the biggest downside to us signing him. Opposed to that is the experience he could give our young halves. I am just not sure now.:?

PIG

Juniors
How the hell is he not suited to our style of play?

Seems one person said we need a running 5/8 and everyone ran with it.

Jason Smith is a cool, experienced head in pressure situations....Tim Smith could learn heaps off him in that regard.

Jason Smith is still one of the best ball players in the comp- he would give us another ball playing option again taking a stack of pressure off Timmy. Tim Smith would learn more in one season off Jason Smith than he'd ever learn off John Morris.

why do halves have to have contrasting styles to be compatible? He would be a massive signing for us for a year.....and we'd have the money to replace him with a 5/8th on the market for 2008. He's easily the best 5/8 unsigned at the moment.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...ry_id=494239&category=Rugby League&m=7&y=2006

Veteran Smith vows he won't play for peanuts
Chris Wilson
Thursday, 13 July 2006

Canberra Raiders playmaker Jason Smith doesn't want to retire but says he won't "play for nothing" next year.
It remains a puzzle where Smith will play next season after Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald yesterday denied rumours the Eels wanted to sign the 34-year-old.

Smith has been linked with Souths, North Queensland, the Roosters and Parramatta since declaring he wanted to play on next year. It would be his eighteenth season of first grade.

Smith's manager Sam Ayoub added to the intrigue yesterday when he said he was talking with two more clubs. "Two of the clubs have expressed they don't want us to mention who they are because they're making some changes themselves," Ayoub said.

He said he was expecting a call as soon as the clubs "cleared their decks".

Smith said he would only play on if the right deal came along.

"I think there might have been a couple of clubs who thought I was desperate to play and they could give me next to nothing," Smith said. "I don't have to play but I feel I still can. But I'm not going to play for nothing."

Raiders coach Matt Elliott was heavily criticised for recruiting Smith in 2005, but the veteran has found new life at the Raiders after shaking off a chronic shoulder injury. The Raiders have already told Smith he is not in their plans for next year.

"Everyone says play as long as you can because retirement's forever," Smith said. "Most of the people I talk to and respect their opinion, they all gave the game away because their bodies gave way. My body's still fine and that's convinced me I'm not ready to retire."

The Raiders have made offers to retain Alan Rothery (two years), Terry Martin (one year), and Terry Campese (one year). The Raiders have also filled one of their coaching positions for next season, promoting Sean Edwards to take over as strength and conditioning coach.

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
so, unlikely that his career is basically over, or unlikely that we sign him, to be honest i really am hoping you mean the latter....?

Unlikely we will sign him. Stranger things have happened but I don't think he will be with us next year.

strider

Post Whore
PIG said:
How the hell is he not suited to our style of play?

Seems one person said we need a running 5/8 and everyone ran with it.

Jason Smith is a cool, experienced head in pressure situations....Tim Smith could learn heaps off him in that regard.

Jason Smith is still one of the best ball players in the comp- he would give us another ball playing option again taking a stack of pressure off Timmy. Tim Smith would learn more in one season off Jason Smith than he'd ever learn off John Morris.

why do halves have to have contrasting styles to be compatible? He would be a massive signing for us for a year.....and we'd have the money to replace him with a 5/8th on the market for 2008. He's easily the best 5/8 unsigned at the moment.
mmm - i agree 100%

Latest posts