What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels stars set to walk

Beaver

Juniors
Eels stars set to walk
By Steve Mascord
May 19, 2006

GLENN Morrison, Parramatta's stand-in captain tonight, is about to kick-off an exodus from the club by signing with Bradford.

0,5001,5156029,00.jpg

In further proof the Eels purge is far from over, despite the departure of coach Brian Smith on Monday, chief executive Denis Fitzgerald last night admitted there would be significant player changes to coincide with the arrival of Michael Hagan in 2007.
Up to a dozen players with first-grade experience could be about to follow Smith out the door.
While Morrison's agent was keen to play down the situation on the eve of tonight's clash with Penrith at CUA Stadium, Yorkshire sources told The Daily Telegraph that the world champion Bulls would announce his signature within days.

"I spoke to Morrison this afternoon and we're considering our options," manager Wayne Beavis said.
"He's got other things on his plate this week. He's got a game tomorrow night, there's been some turmoil out there and he's been made captain.

"He's got a contract to stay (at Parramatta) if he wants to, but we've always had an agreement that if he wanted to go beforehand, given his age and all that, he could go."
Morrison, 30 in two weeks, previously admitted only to an informal approach from Hull.
On Morrison's possible departure, Fitzgerald said: "We're willing to have a look at that situation."

Fullback Wade McKinnon has asked for permission to negotiate with rival NRL teams, his agent saying four clubs have indicated their interest.
And Dean Widders, John Morris, Brett Delaney, Aaron Cannings, Luke Burt and Paul Stringer are among other players who face an uncertain future in western Sydney.

Fitzgerald said: "We consult Michael (Hagan) in terms of whether he would like to keep them or not."

www.foxsports.com.au

Beaver

Juniors
I mean i hate parra with a passion and i always wish bad things to happen to them but ffs im starting to feel sorry for them.

Humphrey

Juniors
Theres always new blokes to fill the boots of them that leave or threaten to leave. Never seen an NRL team play short on a weekend. A hundred hands would go up for a place at the Eels if all these guys left. Move on

aids

Bench
morrison is only leaving, becuase he knows he will never play rep football.
which was the main reason he went to parra

apart from Widders, would there bemuch interest in the other players who are off contract?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Glenn Morrison will be 31 and is on a sh*tload of money while it would be fare to say that Dean Widders is the only player we will genuinely miss from the lot mentioned,

The more players will leave the money we have to spend, I would expect to really give player market a shake in the next month or 2.

Stagger eel

Staff member
aids said:

apart from Widders, would there bemuch interest in the other players who are off contract?

fairpoint..

especially with ammount of money some of those blokes are on it will only be to our benefit to start from scratch.

dannyboy

Juniors
eelavation said:
fairpoint..

especially with ammount of money some of those blokes are on it will only be to our benefit to start from scratch.

Good to see a "half full" attitude rather than a "half empty" one

Beaver

Juniors
Sir Knight82 said:
I am not its all solid gold!
But you have to be upset about those 2 top predictions now absolutly shot to bits.
Just slot manly to where parra is ;-)

richie8u

Juniors
aids said:

I am sure that delaney would be more than welcome at the Penrith

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
time for a player purge and I'm in favour of it

to many 30 or 30 plus players on big money eating into our salary cap, Vella, Wags and even Burty is now playing PL and I cant see a future for him, although he's still young

we've got too many good juniors, we won PL last yar and we are looking very srong this year, so we have a chice of purging the older guys or loosing our juniors

alot of clubs are looking at our juniors at the moment and this is a good opportunity for us to keep them

Brian Smith said in his press conference earlier this week, that certain tough decisions need to be made about ceretain players futures, I think some of the decisions are not so tough to make

Crusher

Coach
Twizzle said:
time for a player purge and I'm in favour of it

to many 30 or 30 plus players on big money eating into our salary cap, Vella, Wags and even Burty is now playing PL and I cant see a future for him, although he's still young

we've got too many good juniors, we won PL last yar and we are looking very srong this year, so we have a chice of purging the older guys or loosing our juniors

alot of clubs are looking at our juniors at the moment and this is a good opportunity for us to keep them

Brian Smith said in his press conference earlier this week, that certain tough decisions need to be made about ceretain players futures, I think some of the decisions are not so tough to make

I loved the old Manly v Parra clashes of the 80's so dare I say it I kinda feel sorry for the eels. Especially considering they've looked the goods a few times only to falter when it counted.

I agree, get rid of your geriatrics and concentrate on your PL and other juniors who do actually look the goods. Might take a couple of years but if you can keep the units together you'll compete

Kiwi

First Grade
How great was Morris going last year, and Widders, and now they are on the chopping block.

There are plenty of others that should go before those two.

I reckon Souths could pick up a few decent buys if they look to sign a few players as a group. Sure they might pick up a dud or two, but could pick up some much needed talent.

Mr Saab

Referee
Beaver said:
I mean i hate parra with a passion and i always wish bad things to happen to them but ffs im starting to feel sorry for them.

Almost like feeling sorry for Manly when they were crap 2002/3/4.
As i said...almost.
I dont feel sorry for them, as i know people would not feel sorry for the Broncos if they were in the same position.

Kiwi

First Grade
I don't feel sorry for them.

This week end we have dumb ( Panthers ) and Dumber ( eels ) playing each other.

Mr Saab

Referee
Very true.
Left Balmain to go to the Bears...ohh the irony in that one.
Left the bears to go to the Cowboys.
Left the cowboys to play in sydney and play for a team that would expose him to the selectors....what happens? The cowboys make the GF (29-0 would have hurt) and he didnt play orgin and wont come close this yr.

Latest posts