What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels to make statement

xr62nv

Juniors
Eels to make a statement against Dogs

Saturday Apr 21 15:55 AEST

Luke Burt believes the Eels can make a powerful NRL statement with a win against the Bulldogs at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday.
The Eels are one of the form teams of the competition with three wins on the trot, but are still rated by few as genuine premiership contenders with their past three wins coming against bottom eight sides Wests Tigers, Canberra and Penrith.
But the in-form Parramatta fullback says a win against the Bulldogs, who possess one of the most feared packs in the competition, would send a clear message that the Eels under new coach Michael Hagan will be a force in 2007.
"We know what we can do as a team but I guess the Bulldogs are a yardstick in the competition and if we can knock them off, I think people might start to notice us a bit more," Burt said.
"We've expect to be involved right to the end of the finals and hopefully we're still on track for that.
"We're not where we want to be just yet but we're getting better and better each game and we definitely need to keep improving to win this weekend."
The Eels face arguably their toughest test of the season on Sunday, coming up against a Dogs outfit desperate for a win after last week's 14-12 loss to competition leaders Manly.
While hoping to continue his good form from the back, Burt is tipping an explosive battle in the forwards will determine the game.
"We need to get control of their forwards, if the forwards get a great roll their backs can really dominate so we need to dominate the likes of O'Meley, Mason and Sonny Bill (Williams) and if we can do that it's a big part of winning the match."
Both teams were boosted on Saturday with the news their representative contingents are likely to back up from Australia's 30-6 Test win over New Zealand on Friday night.
The Bulldogs will welcome back forwards Mason, Williams, Andrew Ryan and halfback Ben Roberts while key forwards Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless will back up for the Eels.
Hagan has promoted giant backrower Fuifui Moimoi into the starting line-up for the Eels in anticipation of the battle up front while the Bulldogs have made only one change, bringing Lee Te Maari onto the bench and dropping Nick Kouparitsas.
Bulldogs prop O'Meley said he was highly motivated for the clash, given his controversial omission from Friday's Test and the 56-4 thrashing dished out to the Bulldogs on their last visit to Parramatta Stadium.
"Not just missing out on the test, but also for our team's sake as well," O'Meley said of his enthusiasm for the match.
"We've lost three out of five so we need to get a win and last time at Parramatta it was an embarrassing result so I'm pretty sure the boys are keen to get a win.
"We need to concentrate - we're doing all the little things right but then we'll drop off so it's about concentrating for 80 minutes."

Link: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=62055

Pazza

First Grade
if we control possession we will be in with a great chance, but if we go butter fingers these guys will destroy us

Daneel

Bench
Pazza said:
if we control possession we will be in with a great chance, but if we go butter fingers these guys will destroy us

If we score more points than them we should go close as well. :roll:

Pazza

First Grade
Daneel said:
If we score more points than them we should go close as well. :roll:

so if we make 15+ handling errors you think we can still beat the bulldogs?

Eelectrica

Referee
Pazza said:
so if we make 15+ handling errors you think we can still beat the bulldogs?
No chance.
Our first couple of games we turned the ball over cheaply and got smashed.
We controlled the ball better our last 3 games while our opponents turned the ball over cheaply and we won.
Pretty simple formula. One that worked for the Broncos last year.

Pazza

First Grade
Eelectrica said:
No chance.
Our first couple of games we turned the ball over cheaply and got smashed.
We controlled the ball better our last 3 games while our opponents turned the ball over cheaply and we won.
Pretty simple formula. One that worked for the Broncos last year.

exactly, i remember people whinging about our go forward being sh*t in the first couple of rounds. How can you have go forward when you dont have the footy. Its simple possession wins games, who ever has the most pill is going to go forward and going to put the points on. It takes an amazing effort to win the game without the ball

Eelectrica

Referee
Only statement we ended up making is that we're not real good at maths.
Dammit what were they thinking taking all the penalty shots at goal instead of going for the kill. We had them on the rack.

Better to have gone for a try and failed than not gone for it all :crazy:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Talk about the one that got away, i thought we we're the better side. That try before halftime was a killer. I thought our forwards more than matched the dogs.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eric Grothe had another shocker too. i wish someone could get it into his thick head that he doesn't have to try and offload the ball every bloody time.

i'd drop him

Yeah needed to back ourselves early and take a tap instead of a shot at goal we had them on the rack. Grothe had a poor game by his standards today. That try before half time was all his fault, he passed the pass and gave them the ball then when everybody else at ParramattaStadium and watching on tv knew the kick was on Grothe didn't was off chasing butterflys!
Where was Inu today? did he play PL or have a rest? He has to get a start.

but all in all we played well and apart from a bit of dropped ball in the 2nd half it was a great effort and we'll get better and win a lot more than we lose this season.

shiftysmith

Juniors
we just came up with the wrong play to many times today....there is no doubt its one that got away.parra were killing the dogs in the forwards,but instead of sticking to that plan we tried to be to fancy to early in the tackle count....i dont know if anyone else noticed that cayless was not happy when we went for the 2 points in the second half,he thought that may have been the chance to kill them off and i totally agree with him..

Tank30

Juniors
We made a resounding statement. It was "WE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO WIN".

Penalty goals, poor attacking decisions, poor referring decisions and primarily us not taking the opportunities that were afforded us.

We were by far the better team in the first half and by far the worse team in the second half.. We need to play both halves to be a chance.

God-King Dean

Immortal
parra-matters said:
... then when everybody else at ParramattaStadium and watching on tv knew the kick was on Grothe didn't was off chasing butterflys!

I disagree. They had a 2 man overlap, & if Grothe went back ready for a kick they would have passed it to the outside men & probrably score anyway. If any one should be blamed for it, it's defenders in the ruck area for not sliding.

pazzaeel

Juniors
I disagree. They had a 2 man overlap, & if Grothe went back ready for a kick they would have passed it to the outside men & probrably score anyway. If any one should be blamed for it, it's defenders in the ruck area for not sliding.

grothe should have never tried to push the pass to cayless for the turnover. we should habe completed the set, kicked for touch and gone to half time.

his chase when the ball was kicked lacked a fair bit of enthusiam too.

pazzaeel said:
grothe should have never tried to push the pass to cayless for the turnover. we should habe completed the set, kicked for touch and gone to half time.

his chase when the ball was kicked lacked a fair bit of enthusiam too.
It was a dumb play 58secs from halftime. In the end it cost us the game.