What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eels vs warriors trial

Redback71

First Grade
in todays bulletin it stated thats dykes is to play half back, and that daniel wagon is to play five-eigth.

how does that sound.

Eelectrica

Referee
Even though it's just a trial I still don't understand it. Surely there are plenty of betters halves combos to be trialling?
Witt/Dykes, Witt/Thorman, Dykes/Thorman should be given priority.

Hurriflatch

Referee
as has been said a lot in previous posts. it is unlikly that any player will polay a full game also wagon is a better defender then the others for early in the game

bartman

Immortal
Get Wags out of the backline and into the pack where he now belongs! We don't need to trial him (again) at 5/8, we already know he doesn't pass the ball to the centres (first half of season 2003!).

Freak

Juniors
I don't mind it. I was hoping last year that they would give Dykes a go at half after Taylor retired, but that didn't happen.

Wags has so many bashers, but for f**k sake you need to understand he can play the game and he deserves a shit load more respect than some of you give him.

To use a perfect cricket terminolgy - The runs are on the board. He has played at 5/8 for his state!!

I'm not saying it is his best position, and I'm not saying that we don't have better options, but it is only a trial and Smithy is obviously trying a few options. Wags will play 30 minutes tops at 5/8 this weekend.
GET OVER IT!!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The problem is Freak, Wagon is not the skillfull 5/8 we're looking for, sure his defence is good, but we need a better 5/8. If you're suggesting he plays 30 minutes, that would mean Lyon and Vaeliki wont get the ball for 30 minutes. Wagon is a hog and is no good for 5/8, hes only there for his defence.

The Godfather

Juniors
Freak said:
To use a perfect cricket terminolgy - The runs are on the board. He has played at 5/8 for his state!!

Yup.
And that State got thrashed when Wagon played 5/8, and has never played there again for QLD.

At the start of 2001, Wagon was the starting 5/8, and Parra were really inconsistent. Smith then shifted Buettner to 5/8, everything click into place and Parra went on to smash everyone.

At best, Wagon is a very average attacking 5/8 with no speed and that should be painfully clear by now. His versatility makes him the ideal bench player, but it appears that Smith can't bear to have his pet not in the starting lineup.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He also played at 5/8 because the real 5/8 (Jason Smith) was injured.

Freak

Juniors
He also got voted players player last year so something tells me he must be doing something right, of which he played some but limited 5/8. Which is what he will be doing again this year.

Oh no I must have it all wrong.

Parra supporters know better than the actual team! :roll:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
:arrow: Corner, now :arrow:

He was voted players player, because all the good players players were injured.

If you think he is our best 5/8, get help now.

Pazza

First Grade
Daniel Wagon IMO is in a huge fight for the Lock position with Lee Hopkins. Wagon has had plenty of time at 5/8 since season 2000. I understand these are trials but i think we should be giving Thorman and Witt as much time on the field as possible. If the club wants a larger defencively sound player at 5/8 then why not trail Pai or Muspratt?

eelandia

Juniors
remember that Smith is looking for size and bulk this year - not necessarily skill. As long as he feeds the backs (unlike last year - agreed) it'll be ok.

Looks like Witt is on the outer a bit..??

Can't wait to see how his bro goes at the Knights outside the best player of all time - Joey.

Freak

Juniors
Twizzle said:
:arrow: Corner, now :arrow:

He was voted players player, because all the good players players were injured.

If you think he is our best 5/8, get help now.

Please tell me you are being a goose deliberately!

If you read my previous post again you would see that I have indicated that I don't necessarily believe he is our best option at 5/8.

IMO he is our best lock by a long way. Unless you play Hindy at lock.

By the way the corners great, but it was rather crowded!!

The Colonel

Immortal
Freak said:
IMO he is our best lock by a long way. Unless you play Hindy at lock.

He is our best defensive lock - yes. Our best option at lock - probably not. Better option coming off the bench - definitely - as he can cover the centres or a reshuffle in the pack or halves. In all honesty as a lock Wagon doesn't offer enough anymore in attack. He used to take the line on and look to pop the ball back to support. Now I am not sure he knows the meaning of the word "pass" particularly evidenced against Penrith in Rd 26. Hopkins, Muspratt, Pai and Hinchcliffe offer another option in attack. Don't get me wrong - Wagon has been one of my favourite players in the past however with the dearth of talent we have on offer he needs to put runs on the boiard this year rather than live on past glories.

Should Cayless play most of the season in the second row as is suggested an attacking option would be the better option at lock.

The Godfather

Juniors
eelandia said:
remember that Smith is looking for size and bulk this year - not necessarily skill. As long as he feeds the backs (unlike last year - agreed) it'll be ok.

No, it will NOT be OK.
Apart from just feeding the backs, could we also ask the 5/8 to:

- read and set up the play
- dart through a gap with a bit of speed
- have a decent kicking game

Wagon just does not rate against Anasta, Fittler, Campbell, Lockyer, Barrett, etc . To really top it off, we've also forced an ex-Dally M 5/8 out of position so that we can fit Wagon into the starting lineup.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
[quote="Freak
By the way the corners great, but it was rather crowded!![/quote]

Yes, we both have lots of frends there, or should I say aquaintences.

The Colonel

Immortal
eelandia said:
Can't wait to see how his bro goes at the Knights outside the best player of all time - Joey.

The closest Witt will get to the number 7 jersey is when Johns is on rep duty. Kurt Gidley will play at 5/8. Steve will be used as either a utility off the bench to give Buderus a break and cover the backlibne or as John's understudy in reserve grade.

Latest posts