What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electronic Mouthgaurds

idunno

Juniors
Watching Chiefs v Crusaders and there were a few "Doctor" stoppages.
The players have to wear these mouthguards that register a shock or impact in a tackle.
Players hooked for an HIA due to the mouthguard were not happy.
All these HIA's showed there was actually no contact with the head.

Hope it stays away from league.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Watching Chiefs v Crusaders and there were a few "Doctor" stoppages.
The players have to wear these mouthguards that register a shock or impact in a tackle.
Players hooked for an HIA due to the mouthguard were not happy.
All these HIA's showed there was actually no contact with the head.

Hope it stays away from league.
A head injury doesn’t require head contact, just sufficient g force to create brain trauma. The technology is unequivocally a good thing- it’s how sports choose to implement it that makes a difference.

idunno

Juniors
Don't agree Spacey..
All it measures is the deceleration in a tackle..
It disadvantages the team by giving false information.
Nothing wrong with the systems in place.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't know a lot about it, and bizarrely Clayton McMillan (Chiefs coach) didn't seem to know much either. You'd think he'd be all over it.

Dunno how much they've done in terms of trials etc but it looks like the players had no idea why they were being taken off, and in Quentin Strange's example didn't seem to even cop a head knock

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
"A head injury doesn’t require head contact,"

What ?
If you’re in a car accident and subject to violent deceleration you can be concussed despite your head not hitting anything, just the force of your head being thrown forward by the impact can do it. There is a point to these things.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't know a lot about it, and bizarrely Clayton McMillan (Chiefs coach) didn't seem to know much either. You'd think he'd be all over it.

Dunno how much they've done in terms of trials etc but it looks like the players had no idea why they were being taken off, and in Quentin Strange's example didn't seem to even cop a head knock
Definitely sounds like it hasn’t been explained properly to players and staff.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Definitely sounds like it hasn’t been explained properly to players and staff.
That's insane if true. It has such a significant bearing on their players and their match-day strategy, that you have to be ready/aware that 3-4 guys a game might have their buzzers go off and have to undergo HIAs (Chiefs had 3, I think?)

I'd like to know how the tech works, but I couldn't find anything online.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If there's contact with the head, then yea.

Whiplash is a neck/spinal injury.
A quick Google of 'whiplash brain injury' will reveal that isn't exclusively true at all.

The brain is not a perfect fit around the cranium. When there is significant movement of the head at a fast pace, such as whiplash, the brain will bounce to some extent. Potentially it won't be as significant as blunt force to the head, but it will still do damage. It may have lesser but residual damage that can contribute to neurological issues over time, like CTE etc that can't necessarily be picked up on scans.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That's insane if true. It has such a significant bearing on their players and their match-day strategy, that you have to be ready/aware that 3-4 guys a game might have their buzzers go off and have to undergo HIAs (Chiefs had 3, I think?)

I'd like to know how the tech works, but I couldn't find anything online.
I assume there will be an accelerometer somewhat like the ones in modern mobile phones in there. Whenever it detects a force over a certain threshold which would be enough to cause brain trauma it would trigger and transmit a signal, it probably also records a log of all movements detected during the game which would provide some pretty useful post game data

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I assume there will be an accelerometer somewhat like the ones in modern mobile phones in there. Whenever it detects a force over a certain threshold which would be enough to cause brain trauma it would trigger and transmit a signal, it probably also records a log of all movements detected during the game which would provide some pretty useful post game data
Yeah, you'd imagine - I'm just wondering if someone bit down on their mouthguard too hard (away from head contact) whether that would register? A commenter on an instagram post I saw said they'd worn one in a non-contact session in the UK and it went off multiple times...obviously that's an anecdotal internet story, so not to be trusted, but it's interesting if it is true.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, I wouldn't let that maniac anywhere near my brain.

He's held up as some sort of paragon of intelligence and brilliance, but to me he's more a nutter with a seriously dangerous amount of power.