What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elimination Final vs Bulldogs

Blade23

Juniors
I thought the forward battle was fairly even and it was our little men around the ruck and our ball movement that really hurt them. Wallace made a number of incisive runs/half breaks behind the ruck that had them back peddling.

Grevs was below average in my opinion. Maybe it was me (I am going to watch a recording of the game tonight) but he seemed to miss alot of tackles? And I barely saw Akauola and Lats the entire game. I think Akauola should get a little more game time.

Akauola got a head knock in the first half and he failed a Head Injury Assessment test. So he couldn't come back.

betcats

Referee
Akaoula got a knock and was ruled out from the HIA test thing. Grevs was solid running the ball imo, didn't notice the misses though.

I thought the forward battle was fairly even and it was our little men around the ruck and our ball movement that really hurt them. Wallace made a number of incisive runs/half breaks behind the ruck that had them back peddling.

Grevs was below average in my opinion. Maybe it was me (I am going to watch a recording of the game tonight) but he seemed to miss alot of tackles? And I barely saw Akauola and Lats the entire game. I think Akauola should get a little more game time.

Akauola got concussed i think hence only 9 minutes game time. grevs missed a whopping 7 tackles from just 19 and we as a team missed 31 so thats like 1/4 on his part. JFH also missed 6 but he played 80 minutes grevs only did 40

Frankus

Juniors
Thanks regarding Akauola. Didn't get that info at the game (as I said, will watch a replay tonight).

Thanks for the miss tackle info - probably should have looked it up myself.

chrisD

Coach

Matagi's first hit up set the scene. He was over the advantage line on basically every run. Grevsmuhl wasn't getting bent back either. Merrin stepped the first bloke and pushed through constantly. Wallace was able to run in behind the ruck from almost the very first set off our forward's play the balls.

The only point they really had us on the backfoot wasn't the fault of our forwards. In the first half there was a spell where Cartwright gave away two penalties, Wallace I think one, Cleary kicked it dead and Moylan seemed to get afraid of the ball, letting one bounce past him and getting carried back, dropping one and letting two bounce. On the back of that they were able to muscle up on our backs rucking it out, but even then I don't think we had to kick from inside the 30 all game, bettering the 40 most times and occasionally winning penalties in the ruck.

When Matagi came on in the second half, I think about the 60th minute, he hit the line well in our own half and carried them for like another 15m. On the back of that Latu made massive meters behind the ruck and had a marker less play the ball in their half. Wallace scoots off that behind the ruck, desperate tackle, offload back to Latu, we spread the ball, Peachey try. The dogs had no answer to that. Kasiano was a handful but that's expected, he's class and their only hope, Graham and Tolman had nothing to trouble us, just hit up and put down.

betcats

Referee
Matagi led the way for us all game, it might be his best performance to date. Others got more metres but matagi came up with some big runs at crucial times. Mansour, Matagi, Moylan, Merrin and Wallace its good to see the more experienced blokes stand up for us in a big game.

Apparently Hook said in the press conference Waqa is fine so that's good. I thought he was gone when DWZ made the break and Waqa wasn't even in the picture.

martielang

Bench
I'm not too sure why but I was a little worried about J Morris v Blake at the start of the game, but Blakes defence was fantastic. He was all over him all game. He is going to be a serious footballer with a bit more experience.

Agree re; Matagi. He has been really solid for us over the past 2 months and last night was his best.

I though JFH had his best game in a long time too. Ran some smart lines and man can he hit.

Big Mick

Referee
That was Matagi's best game in a Penrith jersey, I agree with that sentiment.

As far as importance as well, it was definitely needed.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah Matagi really set the tempo for the game with his opening run. I think he's incredibly lazy defensively times but he can put in nice runs.

Caged Panther

First Grade
That was a fantastic win and just plain entertaining footy to watch and for mine is easily one of the most enjoyable Panthers games I've had the pleasure to watch live taking into account atmosphere, result and performance.

The Dogs were certainly on top for a little while in the fist half but we held our ground, clawed our way back into it and taught them a footballing lesson.

The only disappointing this is that I can't get to next Saturday's game due to work commitments.

Just quietly having endured the last two finals defeats at the Bulldogs hands it was nice to leave the ground and have them not having much to say for themselves.

TeamSatan

Juniors
You guys have said it all.

Seems like the team is having fun together.

Spirits are high so lets hope we can ride the wave.
Dry tracks and warm days will benefit us.
Future looks bright.

chrisD

Coach
Would prefer dry, last loss was in the wet, but eh, we are probably a more disciplined team than the Raiders really.

mxlegend99

Referee
Just watching a reply, gotta wrap Moylan for his milk of the year flinging that arm into touch and getting the penalty before our first try haha very heads up play
Yeah even better than Milfords one against the Storm. One of the most uniquely milked penalties.

kinghippo

Juniors
I think the amount of hit ups our backs do gives us a massive advantage over other teams. Really the forwards are only running a couple of times a set which then keeps them fresher for defence in the middle of the field. I also think it has an impact on how effective the forwards runs are.Those dog forwards looked beat after 20 minutes.