What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elliott must go

sydraider

First Grade
Legend has a valid point, we want success, we aint getting it, the 5 year plan just went back a couple of years.
Now we can look forward to a cool quote to get us by till the next loss :roll:

greeneyed

First Grade
The interesting thing is that the team at the bottom of the league that beat us last week, lost tonight by 72 points!!!! Yes, they lost to Penrith by a million..... The teams running below 5th are simply average and not even in it.

It seems to me we don't have a playing staff that is up to the standard of the top clubs... but it is not that far off....and our coaching team is definitely not up to par. This playing squad SHOULD be performing at a lot higher level and you have to look at the coaches. Frankly, I was hoping Matterson would leave, so we could get at least some new blood into the team, but that option is now ruled out too.

I cannot see the club doing ANYTHING about the coaching team however.....

legend

Coach
No, you misunderstood me Skeepe. Raiders2004 has been into all of us for being so negative about the team and the coach when all along we were being realistic and speaking the obvious truth and it was on show again tonight. It's a good dose of reality for him. Whether or not he takes it that way is up to him.

I am trying to make light of an incredibly poor situation that is deteriorating by the week IMO and I am interested to see what our eternal optimist blames tonights loss on.

Mate, I wish we were all here singing the praises of the coach and team for a marvellous performance. I expect other fans to be livid over the loss and I fully expect Elliott to say he has been presented with a remarkable opportunity to do something "special" with his team of "gifted" players and that he is responsible for the poor game plan and disrupted week due to Elliott continuing to share a bed with Schifcofske and his wife.

I'm off to vomit, so excuse me for a while...

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'm not quite ready to give the coach his marching orders. I think it's quite obviously the players attitude. There is a dramatic decline in the quality of defence from last year, and I don't think that is due to bad coaching. I'd imagine they'd have a simular defensive pattern to last year which worked, but by observation it's the players who are letting the team down in this department. There also seems to be a major lack of communication in this area.

Bay56

First Grade
greeneyed said:
I cannot see the club doing ANYTHING about the coaching team however.....

Greeneyed .. management will not sack the coaching staff for a couple of seasons. Thats when heads will have to roll as a result of the realisation (finally) that to go the next step and be a real premiership threat we need a coach that can take us there. That coach will take at least two seasons to organise a decent playing roster in which case we are looking at 2009 before we can again piss in the tall grass.

skeepe

Immortal
I too have been critical of the negative views because I believe that being the supporter of any team, you have to hold at least some hope that they can actually play a game of football. More often than not, I agree the Raiders haven't shown that ability this year... but the thing is that we all know they have it.

I guess I'm just optimistic that it will find its way to the surface again, although time is running out.

Bay56

First Grade
Walt Flanigan said:
I'm not quite ready to give the coach his marching orders. I think it's quite obviously the players attitude. There is a dramatic decline in the quality of defence from last year, and I don't think that is due to bad coaching. I'd imagine they'd have a simular defensive pattern to last year which worked, but by observation it's the players who are letting the team down in this department. There also seems to be a major lack of communication in this area.

Thats good Walt ... we need views from both sides of the fence.

greeneyed

First Grade
skeepe said:
Something must be wrong with team harmony this year. Last year they wanted to play for each other, this year most of them don't even look interested. I don't know who the finger should be pointed at, although most of you are judge jury and executioner rolled into one, quick to point the finger at Elliot. Too quick in my opinion.

But Skeepe, isn't it up to the coaching staff to bond the team in times of adversity? It happens at other clubs.... They aren't doing their job in getting the player's minds together. They can actually play a lot better than they are. We finished 4th last season........ with the same players......

Bay56

First Grade
skeepe said:
I too have been critical of the negative views because I believe that being the supporter of any team, you have to hold at least some hope that they can actually play a game of football. More often than not, I agree the Raiders haven't shown that ability this year... but the thing is that we all know they have it.

I guess I'm just optimistic that it will find its way to the surface again, although time is running out.

Skeepe ... optimism is good, I admire you for that but quite frankly I just want my team up there with the best ... if that means we ditch the coach then so be it.

legend

Coach
No, Rutgerson and Jensen were the difference between our success last year and medicority this year. :p

greeneyed

First Grade
Bay56 said:
Walt Flanigan said:

Thats good Walt ... we need views from both sides of the fence.

OK, Bay's wife has taken control of the keyboard...... give it back to him, dear.

azza

Juniors
legend said:
Mate, I wish we were all here singing the praises of the coach and team for a marvellous performance. I expect other fans to be livid over the loss and I fully expect Elliott to say he has been presented with a remarkable opportunity to do something "special" with his team of "gifted" players and that he is responsible for the poor game plan and disrupted week due to Elliott continuing to share a bed with Schifcofske and his wife.

I'm off to vomit, so excuse me for a while...

He probably gets up at 2am and leaves for Bulgarelli's house...

skeepe

Immortal
I guess I sit somewhere on the fence, or rather a little on both sides.

On the one hand, I still maintain the (hopeless?) optimism that the side will find its ability and willingness to play for each other, hoping that it's got nothing to do with the coach, while on the other I can see that Elliot could find a way to make a backline of Lockyer, Lewis, Gidley, Tate, Rooney, Fittler and Johns look unorganised in attack.

I don't know what the answer is and I don't pretend to either. Stick with the coach, results may eventually come. Although the fact that this was supposed to be close to the culmination of the 5-year plan doesn't fill me with much confidence. Or we could sack the coach, and what next? Wayne Collins? He coached a premier league team to a premiership last year, but he probably wouldn't get your support because he's from the Elliot school of coaching. Who else is there? Peter Sharp's twiddiling his thumbs at Melbourne, as is Dean Lance. Perhaps there's an answer there.

greeneyed

First Grade
I turn up with optimism at the start of every game, only to have it dashed. For Christ's sake, the team that flogged us LAST week... you know the one running almost last...... got flogged by 72 points tonight!!!!!! How bad must we be?

Bay56

First Grade
Stop posting under my name love ....

boyo go to the toilet for a minute and she is here congratulating Walt ... ha

I'm off to the bottle shop, ran out of the strong stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

azza

Juniors
skeepe, I think you probably don't realise deep down we are all optimists. Remembr, even the posters on here that are a little more "realistic/harsh" support the team week after week, year after year, and watch the team grow and develop.

What angers me is that I see only backwards development in the team this year and that is extremely unprofessional after what we achieved last year.

legend

Coach
Azza, like your sense of humour mate. A bit warped and loaded with plenty of sarcasm, just the way mother nature intended. ;-)

Bay56

First Grade
skeepe said:
I don't know what the answer is and I don't pretend to either. Stick with the coach, results may eventually come. Although the fact that this was supposed to be close to the culmination of the 5-year plan doesn't fill me with much confidence. Or we could sack the coach, and what next? Wayne Collins? He coached a premier league team to a premiership last year, but he probably wouldn't get your support because he's from the Elliot school of coaching. Who else is there? Peter Sharp's twiddiling his thumbs at Melbourne, as is Dean Lance. Perhaps there's an answer there.

I'd start with Wayne Collins effective this Monday morning.

I'd then put all my energies into getting first choice Stuart or second choice Bellamy.

But it has to start this Monday morning .... not in two years time.

greeneyed

First Grade
sydraider said:
Can someone please teach macca to tackle???? He is pathetic in defense. Personally i cant wait for J.Smith to get here, he will add something to the team, if he doesnt break down after 2 rds.
Bite the bullet matty, carney must play every week from here on in, macca is a proven runner, great in the break but an organiser he is not. It pains me to say this cos macca is one of my fav players but enough is enough.
Bulgarelli???? Who are you kidding matty, the guy wouldnt even make dapto firsts, he is useless, if we can see it and you cant then obviously you arent cut up for the grade.
To think i wanted bellamy, how stupid was i to want that. :roll:

Well at least Macca got his hair cut this week like everyone has been demanding. Macca is my favourite player, but he is not getting any help from the coaches, and hasn't for his whole career. He is immensely talented, but has not been developed properly by our club.

Latest posts