What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elliott re-signed for 2 years

ashton

Juniors
Harold Matthews poor season
SG Ball poor season
Toyota Cup Side 1 win from 7
Penrith NRL side 3 wins from 7

Now Leary gives Elliot a two year extention. POOR DECISION

murraymob

Coach
Harold Matthews poor season
SG Ball poor season
Toyota Cup Side 1 win from 7
Penrith NRL side 3 wins from 7

Now Leary gives Elliot a two year extention. POOR DECISION

Does elliott have much to do with sg ball and harold mathews .The finger of blame there lies solely with the people running the junior league and recruitment

mxlegend99

Referee
I've already blown up on the Panthers website about this. Can't believe the amount of people defending the decision on that site. FFS he has been terrible in his first 2 seasons here, it's only 7 weeks in to this season and people are positive that things have changed

IMO he hasn't even proven he deserves to see out this year, letalone have the contract extended. This decision should have been left till the end of the season. We had good patches in 2007 and 2008. At the end of both seasons our team was still watching finals footy with their fans though.

Not that there's anything us fans can do. We have to accept these decisions and wait another 3 years (including this one) before we can expect to be premiership contenders.

On a positive note, Matt Elliott does looked to have improved our attitude so far. Unfortunately that hasn't changed our results. As it stands now, we've only won 42% of our games this season. After 12 rounds last season, we had won 54% of our games. We have 5 weeks to improve our win statistics to be equal or ahead of last season. With any luck we can win all 4 games and with our bye actually be a win ahead of last season at the same point.

Raider Azz

Bench
honestly, i cant thank you guys enough for taking that nuffy off our hands. can you believe our management wanted to hold onto him :|

murraymob

Coach
i have heard Kearney was sounded out but was not interested.Another interesting note for you lot to ponder.Has our improvement been down to Elliott or in part to the new assistant coach Steve Georgalis who i rate highly as a coach

Devilous

Juniors
Not a big fan of the news.

The problem is we have Elliot for the next two years after this, guaranteed.

We didn’t have the $400k to get rid of him last year, what happens if we end up getting the spoon? Or playing rubbish the rest of the year?

Why would we have $800k to get rid of him then?

A very gutsy move really, I just don’t think it has good odds of coming off for us.

t1tan

Juniors
So will the people popping champagne corks and throwing streamers be calling for Elliott to be sacked if penrith dont make the finals?

choc_soldier

Coach
I must say that I was surprised (and still am) with the overwhelming majority of posters on PI applauding the decision. It's their opinion, and I respect that.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
We didn’t have the $400k to get rid of him last year, what happens if we end up getting the spoon? Or playing rubbish the rest of the year?

Why would we have $800k to get rid of him then?

That's assuming he signed for the same money. I can tell you the budget was cut and was signed for less this time round.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have always believed Matthew Elliot was and is a good coach.

I truly believe we have done the right thing in renewing his contract and giving him an opportunity to finish the job he started.

He had to make difficult decisions which included moving on from the 2003 side and he clearly inherited an underachieving squad.

He now has the opportunity of proving what he is capable of and while I think we are still a few class players away from a premiership winning side I do think we are on the right track.

You have to respect the opinion of someone who is in the know, Brandy Alexander. He truly believes Matt Elliot is a very good coach and someone who can lay the foundations for the next successful Panthers side. That is good enough for me.

I think it is a very good decision by the club and I applaud Mick Leary.

There is clearly still work to be done and there remains players in the top 25 squad who are not quite up to NRL standard. We need to free up further funds to make some astute and quality signings for 2010 and assuming we do so I think the future is very bright.

*Sandy*

First Grade
I know someone who spoke to a high profile Penrith player recently and he asked about the teams spirits. The player responded 'Adamson's gone now so everyone is very happy at the club'

I think you are spot on Daz. I've noticed a huge difference in the squad. I've never been fond of Adamson and I've made it quite clear on here. Every club he goes to it seems to turn bellyflop. I am of the belief that he is out for himself and himself only and would not hesitate to step on anything in his way.

Dave Q

Coach
I have always believed Matthew Elliot was and is a good coach.

I truly believe we have done the right thing in renewing his contract and giving him an opportunity to finish the job he started.

He had to make difficult decisions which included moving on from the 2003 side and he clearly inherited an underachieving squad.

He now has the opportunity of proving what he is capable of and while I think we are still a few class players away from a premiership winning side I do think we are on the right track.

You have to respect the opinion of someone who is in the know, Brandy Alexander. He truly believes Matt Elliot is a very good coach and someone who can lay the foundations for the next successful Panthers side. That is good enough for me.

I think it is a very good decision by the club and I applaud Mick Leary.

There is clearly still work to be done and there remains players in the top 25 squad who are not quite up to NRL standard. We need to free up further funds to make some astute and quality signings for 2010 and assuming we do so I think the future is very bright.

Now pass the draino...

The whole idea should have been to keep Matt on his toes, I mean are there 100 other clubs interested in his services?

Maybe you could have offered him 1 year on half the money and an option for the panthers to boot him off to the wolves at any time with no payout.

Then again knowing the Panthers, hes probably on $400K guaranteed with a massive redundancy payout for the early chop.

Oh well, whats done is done.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Then again knowing the Panthers, hes probably on $400K guaranteed with a massive redundancy payout for the early chop.

For the rest of this year yes but not for the additional 2 years he signed for. He is on less for those 2 years.

Kilkenny

Coach
Now pass the draino...

The whole idea should have been to keep Matt on his toes, I mean are there 100 other clubs interested in his services?

Maybe you could have offered him 1 year on half the money and an option for the panthers to boot him off to the wolves at any time with no payout.

Oh well, whats done is done.

My opinion only. Tonight against the Raiders has perhaps reinforced why I think he was worth a contract extension. If I recall he his original deal was $1M over three years. I don't think they would have upped his deal but I would expect it would be the same sort of dollars so in the vicinity of $300K to $330K per season.

OVP

Coach
And I was so looking forward to a new coach...

I hope Leary has made the right decision for his sake. I think it was way too early to even start thinking about extending his contract.

That comment in the paper the other day about the Roosters seeking out his services obviously paid off for him. The monkeys are overfed in Penrith!!!!

Hi Sandy. Did he himself make the comment the Roosters were after him or did some junk publication like the Telecrap do it ? I remember vaguely hearing something in the press, but noone at the Roosters website knew anything about it (and thats usually a sign its not true ... we normally have some scoop at The Wall who tells us big news like that long before its official)

You wouldnt remember the articles this was in would you ? Cheers.

p.s. I reckon you guys are looking great for the future ... how the hell did you find Jennings ? And the other young players are firing too. Good stuff.

murraymob

Coach
you are right tank Voss claimed it on his around the grounds segment on the footy show.The the telegrapth had it in the footy gossip section .Small article

*Sandy*

First Grade
Yeah that's where I heard/read it. From memory I think the article stated the Roosters denied it. It was all bullsh*t - something Elliotts manager made up probably. ;-)

Last edited:

Latest posts