What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elliott re-signed for 2 years

maple_69

Bench
Kearney, Graham Murray, Greg Alexander, Flanagan, Steve Folkes, Mark Geyer and our current assistant coach would all be feasible alternatives.
Don't say the club didn't have options.

Kearney, Graham Murray, Greg Alexander, Flanagan, Steve Folkes, Mark Geyer and our current assistant coach would all be feasible alternatives.
Don't say the club didn't have options.

Mark Geyer?!

are you kidding?

I would love to see Brandy have a go though.

Dave Q

Coach
My opinion only. Tonight against the Raiders has perhaps reinforced why I think he was worth a contract extension. If I recall he his original deal was $1M over three years. I don't think they would have upped his deal but I would expect it would be the same sort of dollars so in the vicinity of $300K to $330K per season.

Your opinion is definately valued and adds some weight to the arguement.

Case for:

There are no flies on the elliot supporters. And mob is right that he inherited fatigued players and his whole job was to bring the young ones through and albeit later than expected, this is what he has done.
Jennings and Coote have responded in spades to his coaching while House has been re-born. He is getting the best from Civo, more than Benny got in his final years. He has a cool can-do attitude, is professional at every turn. Has the boys playing the most exciting brand of football since Royce coached

He has a great track record and he should be given the opportunity to see it through. Things are looking up, give him a go ya mugs.

Case Against:

Brought that devisive Adamson back the club whom people hate. Has had long enough. Except for a few rare games this year, the side has been struggling and at times, bordering on hopeless. On the balance of the evidence, he has failed miserably. Re-signed far too soon. Results are poor given his resources. Failed to attract Lyon, recruitment is generally woeful. No hard evidence that he resurgence will be long and meaningful. Inconsistency is more profund than swine flu. Almost sacked early a little while ago beacuse he was underperforming. Not enough has changed to keep him fed on the panther dollar.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
My opinion only. Tonight against the Raiders has perhaps reinforced why I think he was worth a contract extension. If I recall he his original deal was $1M over three years. I don't think they would have upped his deal but I would expect it would be the same sort of dollars so in the vicinity of $300K to $330K per season.

It could prove to be a master stroke time will tell. I was cheering this team last year we smashed the Warriors and Bulldogs. But come September I had no teams in the finals. An extra montrh wouldn't of hurt

Dave Q

Coach
I myself remain undecided, but if Fibro had me up against the wall and was going to smash me over the head with a pool cue unless I made a decision:

1. I would not have extended his contract at this time

2. Told him Id review the progress of the side at round 12

If Fibes didnt like this answer and lifted me up by the scruff of the neck to a height where I could almost see down PK's blouse, I would have to say:

"Sack him, make it quick, Im hungry"

I like that Melbourne assistant coach, forget his name, writes powerful analysis columns in Big League.

Or the Wentworthville Magpies coach, he is doing great things with that pretty ordinary NSW cup side. Thats the measure of a good coach..turn a pumpkin into a golden carriage. Bellamy is one of those.

Last edited:

Hanscholo

Bench
Pretty amazing decision really. This season could still go south very quickly for the panthers, though unlikely. So why would a few wins enjoy such patriotism towards the coach? I would have put him on a one year deal for next year, signed later in 2009 offcourse, with an option for two more IF they make the top four either this year or next. The days of signing coaches early are over, and they are for a reason. Rewarding mediocre performance is stupid.

choc_soldier

Coach
Pretty amazing decision really. This season could still go south very quickly for the panthers, though unlikely. So why would a few wins enjoy such patriotism towards the coach? I would have put him on a one year deal for next year, signed later in 2009 offcourse, with an option for two more IF they make the top four either this year or next. The days of signing coaches early are over, and they are for a reason. Rewarding mediocre performance is stupid.

Fully agree there!

murraymob

Coach
to be fair to elliott he now has the players he wants and the results are there.When he joined the club he had players who where already under performing but on contracts.The clean out has happened and the tide is turning.I agree perhaps a 2 year deal with the second a option in penrith favour if its a bad year first up

Dave Q

Coach
to be fair to elliott he now has the players he wants and the results are there.When he joined the club he had players who where already under performing but on contracts.The clean out has happened and the tide is turning.I agree perhaps a 2 year deal with the second a option in penrith favour if its a bad year first up

Just to play devils advocate:

The Panthers are likely to have some get-out clause in there somewhere. We also have to consider that there are some factors out of Elliots hands such as rep seasons, injuries, off-feild dramas etc. Hes had his fair share of the latter two.

Apart from the crippled and fatigued, some people blame him for the loss of good players such as Wallace. Guys like Sugar are playing their best games for years at other clubs...but that might not be ME's fault. Who knows?

Another school of thought argues that a decent tenure is in fact a major plus for a coach and a player as they dont have to worry about their financial situation and can focus on performance. Worrying about finances is a distraction to a lot of people, I know it effects some players, the league industry is no different. Maybe this will really lift ME.

Ive never met him personally, but Ive heard hes down to earth and on the publicity thing he seems like a strong club man.

Coaches know as soon as they sign up, they will leave or be pushed.

Being an NRL coach would be a very difficult and misunderstood occupation.

But when the time comes to bid him farewell, lets hope that the club give him a bit more kindness than that afforded to John Lang.

And I think hes the kind of guy who wouldnt expect that anyway, hes tough and has self respect ( in a nice way).

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
Elliott had a few strange decisions last night i feel cost us dearly

1...Coote on the interchange bench he is just to small and wasting a bench spot.Either start him as fullback or dont play him

2.Paul aiton has to be only at hooker when not there he has to be off the field not used as a forward .There is just to many play makers at once on the field

3.Bell was by far one of the best forwards last night must get more game time

4.Stop this negative play of one pass run .When we use the ball we are by far a better side

Fibroman

First Grade
I don't understand why teams persist in 'non event' inside balls when all the big fat forwards are hanging around there.

The only time an inside ball should be used, is if the dummy half or ball players actually see a big hole down the middle and ad-lib the move.

Latest posts