What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Embarrassing

The calm one

Juniors
Hello my disciples,
Owen sends his best. Owen and myself are very concerned about this absolute pathetic rugby league event, that the NRL, Fox Sports and Channel 9,;win whatever have got the hide to call a competition. Every Sunday night and what ever night the bullshit is on 9, we all here what a great round of touch football, also known as rugby league it was.
Can show please inform Owen and myself when there hasn't been a round where a team has not been defeated by 50 points or had 50 scored against them. This round we copped a double whammy, Panter/Storm 100 points. Owen nearly fell out of his tree.
But you listen to the so called experts, "What a great round. I have to say that because I am on a media contract. But deep down I know it was shit"
This Rugby League so called competition is becoming an event where Looney tunes will get a bigger TV rating.
I love my dragons and so does Owen, nothing will ever change that. But some has to be done and done now.
Look at the comparisons. The AFL could name you 2 maybe 3 teams next that will be in the 8 next year. We could name 6.
The Swans and GWS between the 2 of them get more people at home games than every combined game of rugby league played on the weekend. The AFL are in credit, we are paying off a loan to some pommy finance company. The next Rugby League side will be in QLD, why the three of them up there at the moment are not worth a pinch of kiss.
I apologise for the length of this post as the majority of you I am not normally a whinger. But our game is dying and as long as it proped by media sponsorship no one gives a stuff.
I know the players association hates a draft. Well back luck. I am not saying a draft is the answer. But can someone who has authority in this dying code, if you don't like a draft come up with a better solution because it will be better than what we have now. The game is dying, someone save it before it is dead, draft or no draft.

Dragon David

First Grade
Good evening The Calm One and Owen. I hope the two of you are having a nice and relaxing night after this weekends round of rugby league especially after our victory over the Raiders

The salary cap isn't working, the new rules are changing the way players are playing and the match review committee/judiciary are working overtime each week. Talk about trying to get some consistency in the game nowadays. The top clubs have quality and well coached players and the same teams appear to be in the top 6 nearly every year. The bottom teams just have no hope in competing, although they love playing against us.

There should either be a draft or points system to bridge the gaps of the top and bottom teams together with a salary cap. The way things are going, it's become a circus.

The thing is though if the Dragons were a top team like the Storm and kept winning and by big margins consistently, would we be complaining?

The calm one

Juniors
Good evening The Calm One and Owen. I hope the two of you are having a nice and relaxing night after this weekends round of rugby league especially after our victory over the Raiders

The salary cap isn't working, the new rules are changing the way players are playing and the match review committee/judiciary are working overtime each week. Talk about trying to get some consistency in the game nowadays. The top clubs have quality and well coached players and the same teams appear to be in the top 6 nearly every year. The bottom teams just have no hope in competing, although they love playing against us.

There should either be a draft or points system to bridge the gaps of the top and bottom teams together with a salary cap. The way things are going, it's become a circus.

The thing is though if the Dragons were a top team like the Storm and kept winning and by big margins consistently, would we be complaining?
Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question, yes I would still be complaining. We won on the weekend and I am complaining, why because the game we all love is dying.
How much longer is it going to be before a major sponsor pulls the pin on one of these sides because they have had a gutfull watch the shit hit the fan then.

BLM01

First Grade
Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question, yes I would still be complaining. We won on the weekend and I am complaining, why because the game we all love is dying.
How much longer is it going to be before a major sponsor pulls the pin on one of these sides because they have had a gutfull watch the shit hit the fan then.
Stay calm... just enjoy the footy, ohh and the match review, bunker and afficiating. Its all good.

Illusion

Bench
Said before the came is changing forget defence it is only in play when on your line , the rest is touch football ..... Players like Dufty that we don't want will be come more dominant ....... Agressive player , big hits will all but be a memory ...... The slow plodders in the game will die out ......

TruSaint

Referee
A good indicator I have always thought is the interest in "other" games.

Years back, I would always watch other games out of interest for where we stand, and for the game itself.

No more. I rarely watch other games. Speaking to family and friends, they are also inclined only to watch their team play.

Im not sure if it was mentioned here or on the JA forum, but it seems we have gone from test cricket straight to 20/20 and skipped the one dayers.

The NRL will argue its changes are good for the game, but i believe over time people will tune out.

A point a minute footy is tantamount to touch footy with expensive players. Apart from 1 or 2 games this round the rest were farcical.

Im not saying there shouldn't be blowouts, heck I was at Brooky when we were flogged 61 nil, and we deserved it, but todays game its the norm. A team leading coming out of their line will lead head first into a tackle, get a penalty, or some ruck infringement and on we go. Defence cant get rewarded like this.

PVL was lauded for handing the Covid situation and rightly so. He has screwed with the game way too much though.

getsmarty

Immortal

Years back, I would always watch other games out of interest for where we stand, and for the game itself.

No more. I rarely watch other games. Speaking to family and friends, they are also inclined only to watch their team play.

Im not sure if it was mentioned here or on the JA forum, but it seems we have gone from test cricket straight to 20/20 and skipped the one dayers.

The NRL will argue its changes are good for the game, but i believe over time people will tune out.

A point a minute footy is tantamount to touch footy with expensive players. Apart from 1 or 2 games this round the rest were farcical.

Im not saying there shouldn't be blowouts, heck I was at Brooky when we were flogged 61 nil, and we deserved it, but todays game its the norm. A team leading coming out of their line will lead head first into a tackle, get a penalty, or some ruck infringement and on we go. Defence cant get rewarded like this.

PVL was lauded for handing the Covid situation and rightly so. He has screwed with the game way too much though.

Well said.....they have overstepped the mark...and unwilling to publicly acknowledge an error has been made in terms of officiating etc.

Dragon David

First Grade
Again...to do with cap management or third party....same teams seem to dominant year after year.
It's hard to really say why there is so much disparity between the top and the bottom in the NRL when this occurs in other sports like the EPL, Super League, NBL, tennis, golf etc. The better clubs or players in individual sports are possibly run and organised so well and much better than the lowly clubs and players. Training techniques, game plans, better equipment, better attitudes, better man management, better coaches, more influential in business matters and the list goes on.

But as you say getsmarty cap management and/or third party agreements are big factors to enable the same teams to dominate every year. Each year you will see the same 5-6 teams up there and for the 7-8 positions there is interchange each year - a couple drop out and replaced by a different couple, but the top 5-6 the same but in different order. This scenario which has been ongoing for a while won't do the NRL much good as the low teams' fans will just lose interest and cancel their Foxtel/Kayo subscriptions.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Hello my disciples,
Owen sends his best. Owen and myself are very concerned about this absolute pathetic rugby league event, that the NRL, Fox Sports and Channel 9,;win whatever have got the hide to call a competition. Every Sunday night and what ever night the bullshit is on 9, we all here what a great round of touch football, also known as rugby league it was.
Can show please inform Owen and myself when there hasn't been a round where a team has not been defeated by 50 points or had 50 scored against them. This round we copped a double whammy, Panter/Storm 100 points. Owen nearly fell out of his tree.
But you listen to the so called experts, "What a great round. I have to say that because I am on a media contract. But deep down I know it was shit"
This Rugby League so called competition is becoming an event where Looney tunes will get a bigger TV rating.
I love my dragons and so does Owen, nothing will ever change that. But some has to be done and done now.
Look at the comparisons. The AFL could name you 2 maybe 3 teams next that will be in the 8 next year. We could name 6.
The Swans and GWS between the 2 of them get more people at home games than every combined game of rugby league played on the weekend. The AFL are in credit, we are paying off a loan to some pommy finance company. The next Rugby League side will be in QLD, why the three of them up there at the moment are not worth a pinch of kiss.
I apologise for the length of this post as the majority of you I am not normally a whinger. But our game is dying and as long as it proped by media sponsorship no one gives a stuff.
I know the players association hates a draft. Well back luck. I am not saying a draft is the answer. But can someone who has authority in this dying code, if you don't like a draft come up with a better solution because it will be better than what we have now. The game is dying, someone save it before it is dead, draft or no draft.
Interesting to hear Steve Roach interviewed after the Knights v Warriors game when he said how much he loved these dour, slogging games and that he thought the 10-6 score line was a ripper. The NRL have got themselves in a bind. The lawyers are telling them that they have an increasing liability exposure re the concussion; so they panic and without consultation make a fundamental mid-season change. But then they police it differently every week. How the Rooster forward who hit Cleary got sent to the Sin-Bin was ridiculous. Cleary slipped about 40 cm's right at impact.

I too am concerned about the "EPL" nature of the game. Is it healthy for the game that The Storm (more strongly supported in SEQ then VIC) are continually (and I mean for + 20 years) at the top of the table? And whilst we are not fools we are not sold that the TPA rabble is meant for any teams other then the Storm and the Roosters as well. Garbage.

Lovemedragons

Juniors

I applaud you for being at the 61-0 game and surviving to tell the tale. I would liken it to being at the 99 GF which was my worst possible football nightmare.

Latest posts