What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Embarrassing

denis preston

First Grade
Sorry, history tells us that NRL is and will be the big show in NSW & QLD for years to come. look how much negative stuff has been thrown at the game the past 20 years and it Teflon's it away. The old marketing adage any news is good news in keeping the games profile up is obviously working. Union is absolutely stuffed, Soccer well blah, AFL is better at the game but NRL is perfect for TV and the advertisers & games sponsors know. Corrupt yes some possibly are and salary cap needs to at least piss off 3rd party or the game controls it instead of the club but just about all here will go to their graves supporting the game through their Dragons that they have watched nearly all their life.

BBTB

Juniors
Sorry, history tells us that NRL is and will be the big show in NSW & QLD for years to come. look how much negative stuff has been thrown at the game the past 20 years and it Teflon's it away. The old marketing adage any news is good news in keeping the games profile up is obviously working. Union is absolutely stuffed, Soccer well blah, AFL is better at the game but NRL is perfect for TV and the advertisers & games sponsors know. Corrupt yes some possibly are and salary cap needs to at least piss off 3rd party or the game controls it instead of the club but just about all here will go to their graves supporting the game through their Dragons that they have watched nearly all their life.
Sure is embarrassing.
You just can't believe, the crap the NRL, rolls out. The fans just "cop it sweet ".
Imagine if the fans, just switched off, & didn't turn up at games. Just for one weekend.?

Dragon David

First Grade
It's hard to really say why there is so much disparity between the top and the bottom in the NRL when this occurs in other sports like the EPL, Super League, NBL, tennis, golf etc. The better clubs or players in individual sports are possibly run and organised so well and much better than the lowly clubs and players. Training techniques, game plans, better equipment, better attitudes, better man management, better coaches, more influential in business matters and the list goes on.

But as you say getsmarty cap management and/or third party agreements are big factors to enable the same teams to dominate every year. Each year you will see the same 5-6 teams up there and for the 7-8 positions there is interchange each year - a couple drop out and replaced by a different couple, but the top 5-6 the same but in different order. This scenario which has been ongoing for a while won't do the NRL much good as the low teams' fans will just lose interest and cancel their Foxtel/Kayo subscriptions.
I'd like to add that the St George Dragons in the NSW RFL seasons from 1951 to 1973 maintained being in the top 4 of the competitions being a total of 23 years straight and with a couple of other clubs like Wests, Manly, Balmain they dominated the top 4 for several year. Now we have the Storm, Roosters, Souths etc So I guess I have nothing to complain about seeing that we did have dominance in the top 4 once.

TruSaint

Referee
I'd like to add that the St George Dragons in the NSW RFL seasons from 1951 to 1973 maintained being in the top 4 of the competitions being a total of 23 years straight and with a couple of other clubs like Wests, Manly, Balmain they dominated the top 4 for several year. Now we have the Storm, Roosters, Souths etc So I guess I have nothing to complain about seeing that we did have dominance in the top 4 once.

Yep,

I really don't have a problem if the good systems / teams / management dominate. I just want to be one of "those" teams.

Again, going back to the EPL, fans whom support Leeds, Villa, Palace, etc dont expect silverware, however they fight to stay in the Premier League and when they drop to the Championship they aspire to get back to the top league.

Every now and then a miracle like Leicester happens, where they win the Premier League.

They enjoy "every" game "each" week.

However, the game they ( and I ) follow hasn't changed in terms of the product. It's still football, with technology. We keep chipping away at the core of the game trying to make it more palatable for the masses.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep,

I really don't have a problem if the good systems / teams / management dominate. I just want to be one of "those" teams.

Again, going back to the EPL, fans whom support Leeds, Villa, Palace, etc dont expect silverware, however they fight to stay in the Premier League and when they drop to the Championship they aspire to get back to the top league.

Every now and then a miracle like Leicester happens, where they win the Premier League.

They enjoy "every" game "each" week.

However, the game they ( and I ) follow hasn't changed in terms of the product. It's still football, with technology. We keep chipping away at the core of the game trying to make it more palatable for the masses.
All very true, Tru. A pity our game is not league as we knew it. Over time most things change unfortunately. Some for the better and some not so. Even food products like biscuits are thinner but still cost the same and a host of other things.

To ensure that our game has longevity, the NRL has got to keep the product marketable and sellable and reliable and at the same time to make it attractive and safe.

I'd like to see the day that our club was back on top when we will know that each year they will be up there just like the Storm and most probably Penrith are now.

If this was to occur, we would be happy chappys.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
All very true, Tru. A pity our game is not league as we knew it. Over time most things change unfortunately. Some for the better and some not so. Even food products like biscuits are thinner but still cost the same and a host of other things.

To ensure that our game has longevity, the NRL has got to keep the product marketable and sellable and reliable and at the same time to make it attractive and safe.

I'd like to see the day that our club was back on top when we will know that each year they will be up there just like the Storm and most probably Penrith are now.

True David, but i’d also like to also watch a game of football that doesn‘t have 70 points scored in it. The ease of some of the tries these days is a deadset joke. I personally don’t find those games or scorelines entertaining at all. I find i’m not watching the product as nearly as much, and if Saints weren’t in it i don’t think i’d stay interested..

getsmarty

Immortal
True David, but i’d also like to also watch a game of football that doesn‘t have 70 points scored in it. The ease of some of the tries these days is a deadset joke. I personally don’t find those games or scorelines entertaining at all. I find i’m not watching the product as nearly as much, and if Saints weren’t in it i don’t think i’d stay interested..
1624342718011.png

Dragon David

First Grade
You hit the nail on the head there Inisai. If the Dragons were not part of the NRL or any League competition, I definitely would not watch it.

I've turned off watching several games the past month or so when the scorelines started to get higher and you know what the result will be. If it were the Dragons though, yes please I'd even watch replays.

TruSaint

Referee

Mate, I get it.
I understand why they are doing it. However, for me its a stop gap measure. Not sustainable.

People who really follow our game, over time will become numb to this sanitised version of what was the most brutal team sport on the planet.

Yes it will bring in a few "newbies" , but then it will fade.

I dont want to see injuries, or head concussions, however even with the most stringest rules they are unavoidable.

It's not about the game dying, even union has survided, its about being relevant. There will always be RL, but if we keep tweeking the rules, year after year, it will lose its dominance/point of difference.

Gareth67

First Grade
Have thought along the same lines Dave , we were at the very top for so long and now we are merely amongst the competition lightweights and its an awful feeling.

However back in that bygone era I use to get enjoyment out of watching the Bluebags and the Bears go around as occasionally they would spring an upset .

But the way the game has been ‘ constructed ‘ in this season 2021 those upsets have as much chance of occurring as any of us have of winning lotto - Buckley’s .

The NRL quite simply modifies the rules without given it too much forethought and to my way of thinking the judicial process is bogged down in a system which is both confusing and automated. By that I am referring to the points system that is in placed - the epitome of stupidity .

Once a player is charged you penalized him ( if guilty ) of that offense and that alone . Of course the length of suspension depends upon the severity of the illegal play .

I could gone on and on about the shortcoming of both of these games bodies however the main reason that the Dragons are no longer in the top echelon of the competition is that our club has been run into the ground by one of the most uninspiring boards in the game .

End of rant . 😡

Dragon David

First Grade
Have thought along the same lines Dave , we were at the very top for so long and now we are merely amongst the competition lightweights and its an awful feeling.

However back in that bygone era I use to get enjoyment out of watching the Bluebags and the Bears go around as occasionally they would spring an upset .

But the way the game has been ‘ constructed ‘ in this season 2021 those upsets have as much chance of occurring as any of us have of winning lotto - Buckley’s .

The NRL quite simply modifies the rules without given it too much forethought and to my way of thinking the judicial process is bogged down in a system which is both confusing and automated. By that I am referring to the points system that is in placed - the epitome of stupidity .

Once a player is charged you penalized him ( if guilty ) of that offense and that alone . Of course the length of suspension depends upon the severity of the illegal play .

I could gone on and on about the shortcoming of both of these games bodies however the main reason that the Dragons are no longer in the top echelon of the competition is that our club has been run into the ground by one of the most uninspiring all tasted boards in the game .

End of rant . 😡
Your rant is a good one Gareth. It is truly amazing that when we had Bennett as our coach in 2009-2011(unfortunately part of that year only because Bennett wanted the kudos of being the coach of Newcastle with that useless Nathan Tinkler as the money man in 2012) I honestly thought that the Board had finally clicked and that from 2009 and onwards we were going to be in the top echelon for many years. How quickly did that thought disappear from my mind after 2011 and look where we are nowadays.

Why didn't our Board want to maintain success for ever and a day? Why? I know we lost several players from the grand final team of 2010 because of salary crap issues and some leaving with Bennett, but if only they had the presence of mind to look back to how the feeling of victory in the grand final was like. Wouldn't anyone think that the Board would have the ability to institute a winning formula from those few years and encourage our recruitment staff to get the best based on Bennett's formula.

I'm just the average bloke who loves following sport in the latter period of life but I do know that with every business no matter what it is you have got to plan for the future before that future is on top of you. I worked in planning and as you would know you have short, medium and long term plans. Surely, the Board would have had some agendas that they could plan for a prosperous and successful future, surely? The unfortunate thing with our owner is that he only knew how to run TV/Media business to make his millions and his side issue was having interest in a rugby league team which I feel he could take or leave without passion for success in rugby league.

That's my rant for tonight. Goodnight all.

denis preston

First Grade
Your rant is a good one Gareth. It is truly amazing that when we had Bennett as our coach in 2009-2011(unfortunately part of that year only because Bennett wanted the kudos of being the coach of Newcastle with that useless Nathan Tinkler as the money man in 2012) I honestly thought that the Board had finally clicked and that from 2009 and onwards we were going to be in the top echelon for many years. How quickly did that thought disappear from my mind after 2011 and look where we are nowadays.

Why didn't our Board want to maintain success for ever and a day? Why? I know we lost several players from the grand final team of 2010 because of salary crap issues and some leaving with Bennett, but if only they had the presence of mind to look back to how the feeling of victory in the grand final was like. Wouldn't anyone think that the Board would have the ability to institute a winning formula from those few years and encourage our recruitment staff to get the best based on Bennett's formula.

I'm just the average bloke who loves following sport in the latter period of life but I do know that with every business no matter what it is you have got to plan for the future before that future is on top of you. I worked in planning and as you would know you have short, medium and long term plans. Surely, the Board would have had some agendas that they could plan for a prosperous and successful future, surely? The unfortunate thing with our owner is that he only knew how to run TV/Media business to make his millions and his side issue was having interest in a rugby league team which I feel he could take or leave without passion for success in rugby league.

That's my rant for tonight. Goodnight all.

In simplistic terms , both sides of the Board are not accountable for the football club as their premier interest is WIN TV & St George Leagues club AND that's what they get voted in & out for. The football club. It is just a hobby for them . Sad but true. Mind you I do like what Webby is doing and trying to get the Board moving forward to support the Football club. I will not fully believe this until we start to get 3rd party assisted signings . FFS if a media conglomerate cant organise this who can ( legally ! ) .

BLM01

First Grade
In simplistic terms , both sides of the Board are not accountable for the football club as their premier interest is WIN TV & St George Leagues club AND that's what they get voted in & out for. The football club. It is just a hobby for them . Sad but true. Mind you I do like what Webby is doing and trying to get the Board moving forward to support the Football club. I will not fully believe this until we start to get 3rd party assisted signings . FFS if a media conglomerate cant organise this who can ( legally ! ) .
Melbourne can. Addo carr, Welch and Munster in Tradie ads
Munster in betting agency ads along with Tedesco and ors
Channel 9 pay some players for promotions
We just gotta get into the ear and eyes of the right companies

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
We're trying.. Ben Hunt made that random appearance in the god awful Menulog ad that's otherwise full of bunnies ( from memory it's one of their jersey sponsors ). It shows there's at least some sort of third party nonsense going on with his contract

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Melbourne can. Addo carr, Welch and Munster in Tradie ads
Munster in betting agency ads along with Tedesco and ors
Channel 9 pay some players for promotions
We just gotta get into the ear and eyes of the right companies
Agree, I have never understood how we couldn’t attract more 3rd parties sponsorship arrangements. Claiming Easts have a territorial advantage and access only to high of end of town power brokers, doesn’t cut the mustard for me. Despite the lack of recent success our brand is still a pretty bloody strong one in many areas and excuses put forward for the lack of success in this area are a bit of a cop out imo.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Agree, I have never understood how we couldn’t attract more 3rd parties sponsorship arrangements. Claiming Easts have a territorial advantage and access only to high of end of town power brokers, doesn’t cut the mustard for me. Despite the lack of recent success our brand is still a pretty bloody strong one in many areas and excuses put forward for the lack of success in this area are a bit of a cop out imo.
Aha..correct. But you need the higher profile players that are marketable or have that relationship with the TV personalities and the public at large
I

Latest posts