What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of the year Kiwis squad - who is in, who is out!

Skinner

Coach
LeagueNut said:
I'm kind of glad I didn't get it now ... I'd hate to become all bitter and twisted like Skinner. ;-)

Oi....I'm about to become Chairman of Birkenhead Lawn Bowls Assoc. :lol:

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
*Remember! we want to develope a team for the world cup, so i think
we should blood some young guys

*I think Moi Moi, Tuiaki have opted to play for Tonga so they can got to the world cup,
but not to sure.

1 krishen Inu
2 Manu Vatuvei
3 Simon Mannering
4 Jerome Ropati
5 Chase Stanley (if Selected)
6 Ben Roberts
7 Benji Marshall
8 Sam Rapira
9 Isaac luke
10 Roy Asotasi
11 SBW
12 Greg Eastwood
13 David Faalogo

R Adam Blair
R Frank Puletua
R Sione Faumuina
R Rangi Chase

(all in the mix, still just a rough squad, need to narrow down)
S Lee Te Maari
S David Faiumu
S Steve Matai
S Jeremy Smith(mel)
S Frank Pritchard
S F.Anderson
S Sam Perrett
S Iosia Soliola
S Bronson Harrison
S Paul Whatuira
David Kidwell (if Fit)
Nathan Cayless
brent webb

why is every picking Iefeta Paleassina, has anyone been watching him at Wigan
....not so flash

*I have not included any ESL player

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I haven't heard any negative reports about Paleaaesina, he has been good every time I've seen him.

re: Moimoi and Tuiaki, Tuiaki played for Tonga at a stage where he wasn't in Kiwis contention. I'd be rather surprised if he didn't take the opportunity if it was offered.

Moimoi has already been picked for the Kiwis last year and only didn't play due to injury.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
I haven't heard any negative reports about Paleaaesina, he has been good every time I've seen him.

re: Moimoi and Tuiaki, Tuiaki played for Tonga at a stage where he wasn't in Kiwis contention. I'd be rather surprised if he didn't take the opportunity if it was offered.

Moimoi has already been picked for the Kiwis last year and only didn't play due to injury.

tuiaki is auckland born and raised - again he played for tonga last year and along with his flatmate fuifui moimoi are the backbone of the tongan team and helped them qualify with fiji last year.
Making him ineligible for the worldcup.
Hunt was born in nz, but yet he is ineligible for the kiwis. Do you get it yet???

Do you think after fien??? they are going to go ahead and pick moimoi and tuiaki. If they want to play for the kiwis - they gonna have to stand down for two years.

Would love to have moimoi on the bench - but dondt mind if instead it is rapira, harrison or paleaasina.

Thomas Leulauai the only kiwi player playing Half-back the whole season and in the games i've seen he's really developed and become a more mature football player.

"I'd be rather suprised if he didn't take the opportunity if it was offered" - rather arrogant.

Tuiaki is having a good season, one of the most improved players in the nrl. Not a must though.

My Non-ESL team: with exception of flying back only FG HB - Leulauai

1. Sam Perrett / Kris inu
2. Vatuvei
3. Krisnan Inu / Paul Whatuira (depending on for/injury)
4. Iosia Soliola
5. Chase Stanley / Sam Perritt
6. Ben Roberts / Benji (if he is fit and roaring to go)
7. Thomas Leulauai
8. Roy Asotasi
9. Faiumu
10. Sam Rapira
11. SBW
12. Jeremy Smith (melb)
13. Fa'alogo

14. Rangi Chase (hooker/half)
15. Pritchard (backrower)
16. Adam Blair (Prop)
17. Bronson Harrison (prop/backrower)

Squad including ESL:
Forwards:Greg Eastwood (broncos), Harrison Hansen (wigan), Issac Luke (Rabbitohs), Tony Puletua (Penrith), Jason Cayless (St Helens), Dene Halatau (tigers)

Backs:
Sam Perrett (Roosters), Chase Stanley (Dragons), Simon Mannering (warriors), Brent Webb (Leeds),

Other players in with a chance (possible NZ A players):
Backs: Jerome Ropati (warriors), Luke Covell (sharks, captain of NZ a), Patty Ah Van (warriors), SKD (Roosters), etc

Forwards: Sonny Fai (warriors), Ben Teo (Tigers), Lauaki (Warriors), Junior Moors (Penrith), Sam Tagatataese (melb), Evarn Tuimavave (Warriors)

Notes:

Chase Stanley - is a must for the squad, he gonna be a superstar - might have to do a k.hunt and give a rep jersey to lure him in now.

Halatau - is no number 9, anyone been watching tigers past few weeks

SKD - cant cement a spot in FG, im a fan and he is a talent but not ready for Testy footy at least no as first choice in the top 17. Not mature enough - defensive

Im picking Steve Matai to out with injury???

Faumuina can co-captain Samoa with Carmont for all I care

Also most notably I have not included Benji for obvious reasons - let him recover and possibly let him play the all-golds game.

Sam Perrit only kiwi FG fullback in the comp - being playing there since minichello got injured - he should be a cert. in the kiwi squad

Selectors have the most kiwi-eligible first grade talent ever they could take a squad a 30 and rotate each test and still have a mean team. Heaps of talented second-rowers.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:
tuiaki is auckland born and raised - again he played for tonga last year and along with his flatmate fuifui moimoi are the backbone of the tongan team and helped them qualify with fiji last year.
Making him ineligible for the worldcup.
Hunt was born in nz, but yet he is ineligible for the kiwis. Do you get it yet???

Moimoi already got picked for NZ after playing for Tonga! Do you get that??

Do you think after fien??? they are going to go ahead and pick moimoi and tuiaki. If they want to play for the kiwis - they gonna have to stand down for two years.

I'm not convinced. As we all know, this sort of thing goes on with the "minor nations" all the time and I do not recall ONE instance where it has stood in the way of a player repping for NZ or Aus.

"I'd be rather suprised if he didn't take the opportunity if it was offered" - rather arrogant.

No it isn't. I'll repeat- I don't recall ANY player who decided to completely forgo an entire career with NZ or Aus so that he could play for one of the island nations.

Tuiaki is having a good season, one of the most improved players in the nrl. Not a must though.

Well, for mine he's certainly better than Stanley, Webster or SKD. I never said he was a must, but if I'm picking the best two wingers, he's a certainty.

One would hope that when the end of year tour team is named that the new coach takes a few risks and takes some newbies along of the likes of :

Stanley, Tuiaki, Luke, Chase, Eastwood, Inu, Rapira

Inexperienced lineup i suppose, but very very talented.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I prefer Jeremy Smith (of Souths, not Melbourne) over Chase or Roberts, but fear I may be on my lonesome there.

Cant find the article, but read this morning that it is unlikely he will do his mission, and if he does it wont be before the end of the 2008 season

Iafeta

Referee
1 Brent Webb
2 Taniela Tuiaki
3 Jerome Ropati
4 Simon Mannering
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Benji Marshall
7 Ben Roberts
8 Roy Asotasi (captain)
9 Rangi Chase
10 Sam Rapira
11 David Fa'aologo
12 Frank Pritchard
13 Sonny Bill Williams

Bench

Isaac Luke
Adam Blair
Nathan Cayless
Iosia Soliola - when they bring him on move Mannering into the backrow

Iafeta said:
1 Brent Webb
2 Taniela Tuiaki
3 Jerome Ropati
4 Simon Mannering
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Benji Marshall
7 Ben Roberts
8 Roy Asotasi (captain)
9 Rangi Chase
10 Sam Rapira
11 David Fa'aologo
12 Frank Pritchard
13 Sonny Bill Williams

Bench

Isaac Luke
Adam Blair
Nathan Cayless
Iosia Soliola - when they bring him on move Mannering into the backrow

Replace Mannering for Chase Stanley, Ropati for Inu and dump Soliola for Mannering then you've got yourself a deal.

Technique

Juniors
I have nfi which ESL players will be available, or how any of them are playing at the moment, so I'll just leave them all out for now.

1. Krisnan Inu
2. Taniela Tuiaki (he's not a winger ffs, but your other options are all either rubbish or not close to being ready)
3. Jerome Ropati
4. Simon Mannering
5. Luke Covell
6. Benji Marshall
7. Ben Roberts
8. Roy Asotasi
9. Isaac Luke
10. Nathan Cayless
11. David Fa'alogo
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Sonny Bill Williams

14. Rangi Chase
15. Greg Eastwood
16. Bronson Harrison
17. Fuifui Moimoi

Micistm

Bench
Be good to see Benji playing #7 for the Tigers over the next few weeks, see what he's like on that pos. This could be good for the Kiwis if it goes well

Skram

Juniors
Micistm said:
Be good to see Benji playing #7 for the Tigers over the next few weeks, see what he's like on that pos. This could be good for the Kiwis if it goes well

Agreed, hope he goes great, allows a much more stable looking Kiwis side. I'd go for something like:

1 Krisnan Inu
2 Taniela Tuiaki
3 Jerome Ropati/Shontayne Hape
4 Simon Mannering
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Brent Webb
7 Benji Marshall
8 Roy Asotasi (c)
9 Rangi Chase
10 Sam Rapira
11 David Fa'aologo
12 Frank Pritchard
13 Sonny Bill Williams

14 Epalahame Lauaki
15 Fuifui Moimoi
16 Iosia Soliola
17 Motu Tony/ :sarcasm:Nathan Fien

I like the thought of Marshall, Chase, Webb and Inu on the field at once, a lot of creativity to compliment the monster forward pack.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
I prefer Jeremy Smith (of Souths, not Melbourne) over Chase or Roberts, but fear I may be on my lonesome there.

Smith may have been in my squad but he's currently in premier league and will stay there with young gun eddie paea at halfback possibly for the rest of the season.
Plus with Craig Wing supposedly going to souths to play halfback - he might have to look for a new club.

Chase is naturally a halfback and might get an opportunity to rejoin his schoolmate benji in the halves for at least one game.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Technique said:
I have nfi which ESL players will be available, or how any of them are playing at the moment, so I'll just leave them all out for now.

1. Krisnan Inu
2. Taniela Tuiaki (he's not a winger ffs, but your other options are all either rubbish or not close to being ready)
3. Jerome Ropati
4. Simon Mannering
5. Luke Covell
6. Benji Marshall
7. Ben Roberts
8. Roy Asotasi
9. Isaac Luke
10. Nathan Cayless
11. David Fa'alogo
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Sonny Bill Williams

14. Rangi Chase
15. Greg Eastwood
16. Bronson Harrison
17. Fuifui Moimoi

All other wing options are rubbish - but you've got Covell on the wing, kiwis dont need anymore halligan-esque passengers in their team. Not sure if you realise but there are more legit wing options ever, which good mean Vatuvai in the future (if he plays sh*t) he wont be garunteed a jersey.

Kiwi Eligible NRL wing options in my order:
Manu Vatuvai (Warriors)
Sam Perrett (Roosters)
Chase Stanely (Dragons)
Jake Webster (Titans)
Geoff Daniela (Panthers)
Jason Nightingale (Dragons)
Shaun-Kenny Dowell (Roosters)
Patrick Ah Van (Warriors)
Cooper Vuna (Knights)

Also could play on the wing:
Krisnan Inu (Eels)

From the recent football I've watched Vatuvai, Perrett and Stanley are performing the best. But auckland born Daniela has been playing good for Panthers and looks pretty dangerous on the wing, since making his debut.
Nightingale like aussie-born stanley has made his debut season for the dragons and has cemented his spot since round 8.
Ah Van is a very solid and reasonably safe player - still young and playing PL at the moment.
SKD is still young, talented not sure if he is injured or in PL atm but has shown both his talent and inexperience could get selected for developmental purposes.
Vuna is well down on the pecking order and should ask captain carmont about helping the samoan team qualify.

These would be my no no's:
Nathan Fien
Luke Covell
Epahame Lauaki
Jerome Ropati in top 17 make that 21
Sione faumuina

To a lesser extent:
Evarn Tuimavave

Latest posts