What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End promotion and relegation

Perth Red

Post Whore
If relegation existed in the NRL over the last couple decades
Sides relegated:
Broncos
Parramatta
Souths
Bulldogs
Newcastle
Penrith
Cowboys
Roosters
Sharks
Gold Coast
Melbourne.....

And just to be clear, if Perth went and bought a bunch of players to win the NSW cup and be promoted..
They'd join the list!
SL isn’t nrl, the game is much smaller, the clubs are much smaller and the gap between SL and championship is a hell of a lot smaller than the one between nrl and state comps. You’re comparing apples with oranges.

Gobsmacked

Bench
SL isn’t nrl, the game is much smaller, the clubs are much smaller and the gap between SL and championship is a hell of a lot smaller than the one between nrl and state comps. You’re comparing apples with oranges.
That's right, SL isn't NRL. It's smaller and closer to the league below it.
Now I wonder if you can figure out why ? 🤔

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's right, SL isn't NRL. It's smaller and closer to the league below it.
Now I wonder if you can figure out why ? 🤔
because its a minor sport in a country absolutely consumed by football? I'm sure that has more to do with it than the competition structure. It'd be like me saying if NRL structure works so well why does AFL still dominate half of Australia?

Gobsmacked

Bench
because its a minor sport in a country absolutely consumed by football? I'm sure that has more to do with it than the competition structure. It'd be like me saying if NRL structure works so well why does AFL still dominate half of Australia?
You lost the argument about a page or 2 back.
I rest my case.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Again there isn’t the tv money to do that.

Offer something enticing for TV to throw money at. Simple really. Stagnating with a yo-yo p/r system is counter productive. Leigh look odds on to come up, bossing the championship, yet had 2 wins last year. It's a big flaw. Whitehaven I think it is (or Workington Town, one of them from memory) will be straight back down to league 1 as well. Only with sound investment and recruitment can something stick - Barrow, Newcastle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's no easy answers. Ideally we'd see a closed shop 14 team comp for ten years with London and Toulouse admitted to the current 12 clubs. See how it goes. Use some of the new investment money to rebrand and relaunch the comp. Ideally in conjunction with NRL so there could be closer links between the comps and some joint branding opportunities.

But I cant see it happening, even with the new investors starting to pull the strings. Brits have a love/hate relationship with P&R. It isn't as business orientated as sport in Australia and they still hold on to the notion that what happens on the field should determine a sports outcome.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems like the key to growth is getting French TV money involved. Maybe a part of that deal is a licencing period where two or three French clubs are included in the SL
no mention of value, I'm guessing being such a niche game in France it wont be much. But yeh another club wouldnt hurt increase the deal you'd think? Wonder if there is a deal to be had in Spain as well given the ex pats there and the Catalans connection?

Tigers1986

Juniors
P&R works in football, as there's countless levels of the pyramid well established and it's engrained in European culture. Clubs can build time to sustain themselves and there's not the lost markets if they fall out given the legitimate chance of return as well as the competitiveness of the lower leagues.

League should be a franchise system. I'll die on that hill. Rusted on traditionalists need to get over themselves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
P&R works in football, as there's countless levels of the pyramid well established and it's engrained in European culture. Clubs can build time to sustain themselves and there's not the lost markets if they fall out given the legitimate chance of return as well as the competitiveness of the lower leagues.

League should be a franchise system. I'll die on that hill. Rusted on traditionalists need to get over themselves.
P&R isnt really a tradition in league, there have been numerous periods of closed shop competition including the very first years when we had a 22 team top league. Unions as bad, they can’t decide what’s best either.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Leigh beat York 100 - 4 !
York are in 6th spot !

Leigh have a for and against of +960 !

Looks to me that superleague won't be the only beneficiaries if promotion and relegation is scrapped!
What a state that league is in when they have to deal with a new team sent down to flog them all on a weekly basis 🙄

Perth Red

Post Whore
Leigh beat York 100 - 4 !
York are in 6th spot !

Leigh have a for and against of +960 !

Looks to me that superleague won't be the only beneficiaries if promotion and relegation is scrapped!
What a state that league is in when they have to deal with a new team sent down to flog them all on a weekly basis 🙄
yes because blow outs dont happen in a licensing system, oh hang on :)
It is true though if the relegated team can afford to maintain most of its squad then they usually end up coming straight back up, HKR for example. Not everyone can though, London, Bradford for example who went down and couldnt maintain a dominant squad.

Gobsmacked

Bench
yes because blow outs dont happen in a licensing system, oh hang on :)
It is true though if the relegated team can afford to maintain most of its squad then they usually end up coming straight back up, HKR for example. Not everyone can though, London, Bradford for example who went down and couldnt maintain a dominant squad.
Do they happen to the tune of + 960 ?
I suppose by seasons end it'll be over a 1000... and
I wonder just how detrimental it is to signing talent !!
How are Leigh going to sign a genuine star for a long term deal, even 2 years? They must be getting slaughtered in the players market.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do they happen to the tune of + 960 ?
I suppose by seasons end it'll be over a 1000... and
I wonder just how detrimental it is to signing talent !!
How are Leigh going to sign a genuine star for a long term deal, even 2 years? They must be getting slaughtered in the players market.
that is way beyond the usual, 450-600 is common. This years championship lower teams seem particularly weak.
He did say though that he was going all out to keep the squad together when they got relegated. If they can sign the 5 or 6 decent talented players they'll need to stay up, and stay largely injury free will be their challenge for next season. He seems to have more money to throw at it than the Toulouse owner did.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Leigh absolutely walking the Championship, and, well, Toulouse likely to do the same next season. Bradford and London are exceptions to the rule of yo-yo teams because well, Bradford had the admin turmoil and threat of liquidation leading to their exodus of players. London, well, not sure. A lot of relegated players have clauses to escape and play SL elsewhere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Leigh absolutely walking the Championship, and, well, Toulouse likely to do the same next season. Bradford and London are exceptions to the rule of yo-yo teams because well, Bradford had the admin turmoil and threat of liquidation leading to their exodus of players. London, well, not sure. A lot of relegated players have clauses to escape and play SL elsewhere.
Salford and HKR have also been down, come back up and stayed up (fingers crossed!), defying the yoyo nature that P&R can be.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Salford and Hull KR were unfortunate victims of that Super 8s nonsense. London too.

Look at the last few "big" stories to be promoted - Toronto were winless then went bust (ok, COVID impacted them heavily). Leigh won 2 games after being awarded entry due to Toronto's expulsion. Toulouse have floundered for most of the year.

Those 3 clubs have absolutely dominated the second tier.

That's also leaving out Featherstone who have played 2nd place to those teams.

Widnes weren't able to recover just yet either.

Gobsmacked

Bench
At the very least I think that the last place SL team plays the the championship team in a 3 game series.
If you want to go up - you must prove you're better then the team you're replacing!
You want the best SL comp you can have... don't you??

Gobsmacked

Bench
At the very least I think that the last place SL team plays the the championship team in a 3 game series.
If you want to go up - you must prove you're better then the team you're replacing!
You want the best SL comp you can have... don't you??
Could be played as the certain raisers in the finals series 🤔