What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England squad

England World Cup squad:
Name Club Age
Rob Burrow Leeds Rhinos 26
Mark Calderwood Wigan Warriors 26
Gareth Ellis Leeds Rhinos 27
Mauire Fa’asavalu St Helens 28
Ade Gardner St Helens 25
Martin Gleeson Warrington Wolves 28
James Graham St Helens 23
Mickey Higham Wigan Warriors 28
Gareth Hock Wigan Warriors 25
Jamie Jones Buchanan Leeds Rhinos 27
Jamie Langley Bradford Bulls 24
Danny McGuire Leeds Rhinos 25
Adrian Morley Warrington Wolves 31
Jamie Peacock Leeds Rhinos 30
Leon Pryce St Helens 26
Rob Purdham Harlequins RL 28
James Roby St Helens 22
Keith Senior Leeds Rhinos 32
Kevin Sinfield Leeds Rhinos 28
Lee Smith Leeds Rhinos 22
Paul Sykes Bradford Bulls 27
Paul Wellens St Helens 28
Ben Westwood Warrington Wolves 27
Jon Wilkin St Helens 24

Poul

Juniors
I don't get to watch that much Super League, but has Stuart Fielden's form been so bad that he can't make this squad? Did Willie Mason's KO blow in '06 have him marked never to be selected for Test football again?
And what has happened to Ryan Bailey? When I saw him play in '04? , I thought he was going to be the successor to Adrian Morley as the "enforcer" in the GB/England pack.
I have some question marks over Jon Wilkin; seems like he backs up well, but perhaps does not do enough with the ball, and Mark Calderwood; has pace to burn, but can he tackle?
Overall though, not a bad squad, and England should be favoured to reach the Final. If they don't get overawed by the occasion, they may be in with a chance. I'm really looking forward to the Super Pool game in Melbourne; this should give us a real gauge of where England are at.

roughyedspud

Coach
the thing that gets me is why is this squad named before the wales game? surely it should have been done afterwards?

even so, it's pretty hard to be motivated to play on Friday, hoping some bloke gets hurt. Maybe the blokes not in the squad will be giving plenty of hospital passes to those who are.

roughyedspud

Coach
what about lee gilmour...bet he feels a right tit,should have stuck with scotland :lol:

he'd have been 2nd on the scotland team sheet after danny brough

Four props, one's injured and one (Faasavalu) has been pretty ordinary this year. All this talk about England's dominant pack seems a bit over the top to me. I'd say they have two good props, as do we, and one good backrower (Ellis) and that's about it. The rest are no better than the Aussies chosen. Hock is tough and I think he should definitely be there but he's gone missing before and he's just as likely to do something stupid. Wilkin doesn't do much. He's the Watmough of the side. You wonder what he actually does other than play for a really good side. Sinfield is not good enough to be a five-eighth so he plays lock. Purdham is just a poor man's Dallas Johnson and even Johnsn didn't make the Aussie side. Westwood and Langley speak for themselves. This pack isn't as good as the 2006 3N pack and it wasn't good enough to get the cash then.

JasonE

Bench
All those backrowers is a joke, half of them wont get a game and they have wasted spots. Morley isn't even 100% fit so it looks like James Graham and Jamie Peacock will be run into the ground.

roughyedspud

Coach
tbh i think he's named the so many backrowers because a couple of them ,ellis,purdham and sinfield can play in a number of positions even langley is big enough to play any of the forward position....ben westwood though is just a waste of a pick imo

nadera78

Juniors
Two wasted spots in the list for me are Langley and Sykes. Shenton is a much better centre than Sykes, but he seems to have been picked because he can also play FB. Langley is a shocker, awful player and I cannot believe he didn't pick another prop like LMS.

Oh and Rob Purdham is awsome, a much better player than Dallas Johnson and should be the starting 13.

roughyedspud

Coach
again..i think sykes has been picked because he can cover a number of position which when you think about it makes sense....senton,as good as he will be one day is a center and thats it

Latest posts