What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England squad

Sykes would be an ordinary centre option and an ordinary fullback option so I don't get it. They've got Smith to cover fullback so they might as well have just picked Shenton, or even Fox, to give them another centre/winger. Or better still pick another prop. England's biggest problem is that it won't have an easy game mid tourney to rest its top players. They have to play the weak side (PNG) first and then it's likely to be all tough from there. They won't rest players first game so it'll be full strength selections every game. That'll be tough on the likes of Peacock and Graham and especially a tired old Morley so they'll need some backup there.

roughyedspud

Coach
given the option of taking a player that can play 1 position or a player that can play 3 or 4 you take the more versitile player..it's not rocket science..

hopefully sykes won't have to play...

You're better off taking a players who will play one position well than a player who will be ordinary in two or three positions. Jordan Tansey can play a heap of positions like hooker or five-eighth but you're not going to take him ahead of Higham or McGuire.

Poul

Juniors
.... They won't rest players first game so it'll be full strength selections every game. ...

The Poms (and Kiwis) may well rest players in their match against each other in Newcastle, if they have both been defeated by the 'Roos in their earlier Super Pool games. Of course, on the assumption that they (Poms) have already defeated the Kumuls. This would leave the Poms and the Kiwis vying for 2nd and 3rd in the Super Pool, which would still see them playing each other again in the semifinal irrespective of the result. There could be some major foxing occurring if this scenario ( and it is quite likely) eventuates.:sch:

roughyedspud

Coach

Chook Norris

First Grade
Hence, where's Fielden and Bailey?

Stuart was rested for the 2007 all golds tour to have shoulder surgery. He then picked up a biecep injury in training which delayed his return further. He returned to action against the Bradford Bulls as a substitute. Recently Fielden has been under pressure from Wigan fans for lack of form that made him one of the best prop forwards in the world and lack of determination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Fielden

disappointing, never really made much of an impact in the international scene anyway

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
decent halves there.

Our only concern IMO.

Good to see Morley back was always a fan.

Poul

Juniors

Good to see Morley back was always a fan.

I was a HUGE fan of Adrian Morley, especially when he got sent of 12 seconds into the 1st Ashes Test in 2003 :sarcasm:, but I think towards the end of his stint with the Roosters he was "running on tired legs". I haven't seen virtually anything of him at Warrington, but I fear that his best days may well and truly have passed him by. GREAT player :clap: in his day.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Thanks for the info Chook. I don't remember whch series it was (maybe 2003 Ashes), but at one stage I thought that he looked like the best front rower in the world.
He was, at one point years ago. So was Shane Webcke, and you don't see Australia picking him.

Garbage squad though. I would have had Shenton and LMS ahead of Sykes and Langley any day, and much rather someone like Aspinwall or Fox than Calderwood. I can't believe he's picked Calderwood off the back of one good game, he has had a shocking year. I was expecting much better from Smith. Also can't understand the selections of Fa'asavalu, Higham or Westwood.

Having said that, the first choice team does look strong.

1.Wellens
2.Gardner
3.Gleeson
4.Senior
5.Smith
6.Pryce
7.Burrow
8.Morley
9.Roby
10.Peacock
11.Wilkin
12.Ellis
13.Sinfield

14.Graham
15.Hock
16.Fa'asavalu
17.McGuire

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
great squad named by England, will take a decent team to beat them.

hope they've sorted out the 'playing away from home blues' ..

Latest posts