What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English referees

Stallion

First Grade
The most frustrating thing about the 2 games I went to in Sydney was the fans who had no idea that international rules are different to the NRL.

And it f**king shits me to tears that we are at this stage due to the NRL. Ref the game to the international rules so there is consistency.

I might suggest aspects like the one referee and discretionary send off for a punch has added to the appeal of the international games! The tv ratings are proving this.

Big Salad

Juniors
It stands out a lot with the English refs because they blow the whistle twice for every penalty, so 20 penalties ends up sounding like 40.

It was frustrating last night watching the English ref lope down the field to blow his whistle a second time for each penalty, when the players obviously just wanted to kick for touch and get on with it.

The amount of scrums pulled back and reset has been soul sapping though. Would rather watch paint dry than watch refs spend 5 minutes trying to get a perfect scrum.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I wouldn't mind going to one ref if the touch judges actually had some gumption. So many defenses creeping forward a metre or two out of the refs view...

Springs09

Juniors
Australia's refereeing system is very quickly ruining the game here. I don't blame the individual refs themselves, as it's across the whole competition. When we don't ref to the rules then coaches are going to exploit those rules. Luke Lewis on NRL360 admitted that they practice 'cheating', continually holding down close to the line, rushing up without care for being offside, not playing with the foot etc. If someone holds on in a legs tackle for 2 seconds they are penalised, while if three players catch and hold the ball-runner, then after 5 seconds another player comes in and takes the legs just as they are called held, then all 4 get up slowly one-by-one since they've wrestled themselves around the ball and the whole damn ruck takes 20 seconds - that's okay. This has lead to negative play dominating the game, it's little wonder we see so little play like in the NZ v Tonga game in the NRL.

And it's not hard to fix. Speed up the ruck? Go back to the old count to whatever then penalise if they don't get off, including on the tryline. Players will complain that they are caught or tangled but they will learn not to get tangled pretty quick. Play-the-ball a bit fast? Penalise players that don't get to their feet or play it without using their foot, as well as those that move off the mark and take out the markers. Too many penalties on the tryline? Sin bin deliberate penalties, I don't know why refs seem to not know what a professional foul is. I heard a ref tell a captain this year 'no more deliberate ones'.

Who cares if we have 40 penalties a game for the first 3 rounds, coaches will catch on. The NRL seem to be scared of pissing off coaches.

While saying that, a few English refs have been individually very poor, especially with the Australian games. Why they favour Australia and tolerate their negative shit while penalising France and Lebanon for any little thing is beyond me.

There's no reason why there can't be one set of rules worldwide. The NRL seems to think it's its own sport. These rules + golden point + the bunker almost make it a different sport to the rest of rugby league, including in Australia.

Springs09

Juniors
“One of the slowest games I’ve seen for a while — 21 penalties, a lot of stoppages,” Meninga said. “We want to see a good game of rugby league. We want to be allowed to play a lot more. We had three penalties in the first game against England and not many last week. All of a sudden both teams were penalised for a lot of things both teams were getting away with.

“It’s our showpiece, we should be allowed to play footy. It was frustrating.”

Mal finally sees what it's like for everyone else when they watch Australia. Australia's whole game plan is about not letting the other team play footy.

deluded pom?

Coach
Every international tournament has a huge whinge about English refs from the Aussie coach. It's like the first cuckoo of Spring. It's just the Aussie coach's way of getting into the English ref's head just in case they cross paths again later in the tournament. You rarely see or hear comments about the quality of reffing from other nations' coaches.

Latest posts