What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English RL catching up ?

with the rhinos winning today is it time for an expanded WCC.

either top 4 of ours playing a knock out competition in england.

or a final concept based on home and away, winner on aggregate.

time the series was treated properly, pommie teams are good now

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Gee, why not make the "spoiler" section of your thread title even more useless :lol:

Timmah said:
Gee, why not make the "spoiler" section of your thread title even more useless :lol:

some people wont have watched the game live and will be watching it on replay later today.

just trying to be considerate.

if you aint got anything to say on the thread title fug off

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
dallymessenger said:
with the rhinos winning today is it time for an expanded WCC.

either top 4 of ours playing a knock out competition in england.

or a final concept based on home and away, winner on aggregate.

time the series was treated properly, pommie teams are good now

The top SL teams are improving and in a one off game are capable of matching the NRL sides, however they do have everything stacked in their favour before the game even kicks off.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
dallymessenger said:
some people wont have watched the game live and will be watching it on replay later today.

I was making reference to the fact your thread title kind of gives away the result. :lol:

As for your suggestion - gong's on the money... they'll whinge about burnout.

Billythekid

First Grade
dallymessenger said:

His saying is theres no point having the spoiler, anyone reading that title is gonna know who won the WCC. In fact I'd say you would of been better off not having the spoiler tags as that's what gives it away.

Personally i'm not interested in an expanded WCC i say we should be putting emphasis on the international level rather than club level.

westie

Bench
Wah wah. Leeds basically finished without a bench in distinctly Victorian weather conditions. f**king excuses. Melbourne rely on key players to score points. Maybe if Inglis was there it would have been a different story. But that's what you get for relying on him.

Karmawave

Bench
If there's ever been a better candidate than Israel Folau to potentially suffer from "second year syndrome" I haven't seen it.

I'm not just knocking him from this one game, but gee he can go missing in games. Even in the semis last year, there's times he can do bloody nothing.

joshreading

Staff member
I think it is time NOT to expand but to re-position the game. Bring it to the end of the season and rotate the location between Australia and Europe. A game like this after the Grandfinal in Melbourne would have been huge for the profile of RL in Vicoria. It would also give us another credible string in our bow in the fight for dominance.

Play it two weeks after the grandfinal and Australia should play a lesser nation - eg. PNG or combined Pac Islands with players not from the Grandfinal team. (England should so the same with a lesser European nation)

westie

Bench
Only problem is, with the way the pound is, its very difficult to give up the cash that would have been made at Elland Road tonight. They'd probably need 50k in Melb to make the same sort of profit.

Shame the Yankee dollar has gone to the dogs.

whippy

Juniors
english rugby league is improving.. but have got a long long way to go. they need to send alot more players into the nrl.

westie

Bench
The top teams in SL are clearly as good, if not better than the top teams in the NRL. The only problem they face is similar to the NRL a few years ago, the bottom teams like Castleford are rubbish.

However, with more money now coming into the game, along with the scrapping of promotion and relegation, teams will now have a chance to not only build a decent starting side, but also local depth.

Won't be long until the bottom teams are matching the bottom NRL teams. With the new rules limiting the number of imports allowed, how long until only the cream of the crop is leaving Australia. How long until we can't match the europeans based on the strength of the pound and euro?

westie said:
Wah wah. Leeds basically finished without a bench in distinctly Victorian weather conditions. f**king excuses. Melbourne rely on key players to score points. Maybe if Inglis was there it would have been a different story. But that's what you get for relying on him.

Ever been to Melbourne - fair dinkum mate. Check the rainfall stats between Sydney and Melbourne.

And I don't think we've thrown excuses out. It was a horrible night for footy, but that's not what decided the game. For a side that has played 2 trials, I thought the Storm were solid against a side who has played 4 trials and 4 competition games already. That's where the scheduling side of things is an issue.
Leeds were marginally better on the night. Well done to them

westie

Bench
My apologies, I was merely para-phrasing Billy Slater with that line. Take it up with him i spose. I have in other posts mentioned the similar weather conditions NSW has experienced lately.

westie said:

yep, senior, mcguire and toopi

rhinos defence was awesome

Timmah said:
I was making reference to the fact your thread title kind of gives away the result. :lol:

As for your suggestion - gong's on the money... they'll whinge about burnout.

yeah worked it out now.

joshreading said:
I think it is time NOT to expand but to re-position the game. Bring it to the end of the season and rotate the location between Australia and Europe. A game like this after the Grandfinal in Melbourne would have been huge for the profile of RL in Vicoria. It would also give us another credible string in our bow in the fight for dominance.

Play it two weeks after the grandfinal and Australia should play a lesser nation - eg. PNG or combined Pac Islands with players not from the Grandfinal team. (England should so the same with a lesser European nation)

last time they did that nrl teams whinged that it interfered with their post GF celerations.

why not a game in both oz and england? eliminates home ground advantage & more money raised

pommie teams are good enough now to travel over here

westie said:
The top teams in SL are clearly as good, if not better than the top teams in the NRL. The only problem they face is similar to the NRL a few years ago, the bottom teams like Castleford are rubbish.

However, with more money now coming into the game, along with the scrapping of promotion and relegation, teams will now have a chance to not only build a decent starting side, but also local depth.

Won't be long until the bottom teams are matching the bottom NRL teams. With the new rules limiting the number of imports allowed, how long until only the cream of the crop is leaving Australia. How long until we can't match the europeans based on the strength of the pound and euro?

agree with most of that ie bottom SL teams are where the diffence is.

still say out top teams are better though

leeds would make our top 6 i reckon

steaming stormer said:
Ever been to Melbourne - fair dinkum mate. Check the rainfall stats between Sydney and Melbourne.

And I don't think we've thrown excuses out. It was a horrible night for footy, but that's not what decided the game. For a side that has played 2 trials, I thought the Storm were solid against a side who has played 4 trials and 4 competition games already. That's where the scheduling side of things is an issue.
Leeds were marginally better on the night. Well done to them

the conditions tonight were very similar to melbourne

the storm cant use weather as an excuse thought the fact SL has started gives leeds an advantage

Latest posts