What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English RL player named man of match for Estonia RU

griff

Bench
Yorkshire Evening Press

BRIDEGROOM Charlie Adie's stag weekend was given an amazing twist - when he was asked to play rugby for the Estonia national team.
Despite nursing a painful hangover and not having passed a ball for three years, the 32-year-old former York Wasps rugby league player was named man of the match in the rugby union international against Finland.

Charlie, an IT manager, who marries his Acomb fiancée Nicola, next month, was in the Estonian capital, Tallin, with 16 friends for the boozy weekend.

While downing beers in a local bar, he was approached by one of the Estonia team, who made the extraordinary offer because they were short.

"I thought it was a wind up at first," said Charlie, originally from Fulford.

"I told the guy that I used to play for York, so he asked if I was available to play the following day for Estonia against Finland.

"I was quite taken aback, but I was keen to play."

Charlie, who bought rugby boots from a local sports shop on the morning of the match, also secured a game for his brother and best man, Ed, a former New Earswick All Blacks player.

Estonia were narrowly beaten 32-42 by Finland in the Baltic Rugby Cup international, which is a round robin tournament also including Latvia and Lithuania.

The Adie brothers were honoured as two of the best players on the day, with Ed scoring a try, and man of the match, Charlie, kicking four penalty goals. They were each presented with caps to mark their appearance and forced to down glasses of vodka as part of Estonia's end of match tradition.

"My brother was struggling for stories to tell in his best man speech, so this should be perfect," Charlie said.

"Even though it was Estonia's national team, the rugby was quite Mickey Mouse because it's a fledgling sport over there and they are very poor.

"It was one of the proudest moments of my rugby career and I've offered my help in the future development of their game. All the lads from the stag were cheering us on, but I felt a bit worse for wear!"

Any chance of him becoming an Estonian dual international?