What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English support - will there be much

Does anyone know if we are expecting many English people to travel out here for the Tri Nations? They are always great supporters and they can really create some atmosphere - they could possibly be the difference between a good tournament and a great tournament.
England (GB) haven't toured here for so long that it's difficult to imagine how much travelling support they'll have. Hopefully with the Ashes not long afterwards there'll be a few northerners who make the trip out here for both

Well like you said the ashes will have an effect.

Given rugby league gave birth to the barmy army, Im sure there will be plenty of them here.

Go the poms.

nadera78

Juniors
I'm not sure how many will be heading over. Under normal circumstances I'd say we'd take a fairly big contingent, but tbh there are 2 main reasons to doubt that.
1) A lot of people are fed up of losing when it comes o the big games. We win the odd 1 or 2 but the big 'uns always pass us by. Is this squad sufficiently different from past ones to change things? No-one here seems to think so.
2) The RLWC is 2 years away and i think a lot of people will prefer to travel for that one, I know that is what i am planning to do.

Given those 2 things I think a decent crowd will travel over, but nowhere near as many people as would in different circumstances.

ozbash

Referee
the entire kiwi population (with maybe a couple of wannabe exceptions :roll: ) will be screaming for the brits when they play aussie.

my dream is a GB v NZ grand final in their backyard :lol:

Charge

Juniors
I think most of us are waiting for the World cup. I know I'm going to be there in 2008.

nadera78

Juniors
ozbash said:
the entire kiwi population (with maybe a couple of wannabe exceptions :roll: ) will be screaming for the brits when they play aussie.

my dream is a GB v NZ grand final in their backyard :lol:

Sweet baby Jesus that would be good!

Scubby

Juniors
The Money Box Man said:
Does anyone know if we are expecting many English people to travel out here for the Tri Nations? They are always great supporters and they can really create some atmosphere - they could possibly be the difference between a good tournament and a great tournament.
England (GB) haven't toured here for so long that it's difficult to imagine how much travelling support they'll have. Hopefully with the Ashes not long afterwards there'll be a few northerners who make the trip out here for both

I will be there sporting my red, white and blue colours from the Sydney test (Nov 4th) all the way to the final. Couldn't make it out from London in time to go to Christchurch for the 1st game. I think the logistics will mean only a few GB supporters at Christchurch for the first game. Sydney and, particularly, Brisbane will have a good following from GB fans - and plenty are taking in Wellington as part of the trip. Remember a lot of English cricket fans will be in Brisbane around the time of the game on Nov 18 also.

Cannot wait for the series. Was too young to get over for the 1988 and 1992 tours and have waited a long time to see GB play at those famous venues down under. :D

phonetic

Juniors
In Sydney and Brisbane there'll be plenty of British support. There are plenty of Brits here all year round.. then when you factor in the Ashes kicking off in mid November, there'll be no shortage of Brit support.

I don't know about the NZ games though. I'm a bit worried about the attendances for those ones.

phonetic said:
In Sydney and Brisbane there'll be plenty of British support. There are plenty of Brits here all year round.. then when you factor in the Ashes kicking off in mid November, there'll be no shortage of Brit support.

I don't know about the NZ games though. I'm a bit worried about the attendances for those ones.

I hope you're right - there's no shortage of Brits in Sydney, however not a lot of them seem to be league supporters

ali

Bench
I get the feeling from reading a couple of British message boards that more fans are planning on coming in 08.

I'm hopeful of getting a few poms from my cricket club out to the Sydney match.

The Money Box Man said:
I hope you're right - there's no shortage of Brits in Sydney, however not a lot of them seem to be league supporters

I just think they don't know their way out of the eastern suburbs...which is why they probably scheduled the game at Aussie stadium instead of Telstra

ianrhodes

Juniors
ali said:
I get the feeling from reading a couple of British message boards that more fans are planning on coming in 08.

plenty of lads in pubs talking about comeing out in 08
just waiting for details n if it will happen

phonetic

Juniors
I guess I'm assuming that even the non diehard British league fans will turn out in reasonable numbers. The fact that the Sydney game is at the SFS will be a huge bonus. As International RL mentioned, there are plenty in the Eastern Suburbs and around Central.

The last time they came out (might have been 01 or something) I remember there was a good bunch of brits at the Northern end. They added plenty of atmosphere and colour to the occasion. The fact that GB were having their arse handed to them on a plate by Australia didn't seem to bother them much.