What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Entire Wests Tigers Board Sacked

yakstorm

First Grade

‘We’ve lost faith in them’: Balmain consider shock exit from Wests Tigers merger​

The Balmain board is set to call a crisis meeting to discuss removing the club from the joint venture with Western Suburbs in an ambitious bid to go it alone that could spell the end of the Wests Tigers.

In a move that will send shockwaves through the NRL, frustrated Balmain directors are preparing to call a vote on their involvement in the merger amid concern over decisions being made by the club’s majority owner, the Holman Barnes Group (HBG).

Balmain director and former Tigers first grade player Garry Leo told this masthead on Thursday he and his fellow board members had “lost faith” in HBG and was calling on fellow directors to endorse the end of the troubled joint venture 25 years after it was established.

“I really believe the time has come for us to step aside and resurrect the Balmain Tigers,” Leo, who played 156 games for Balmain in the 1960s and ’70s, told the Herald.

“We’ve got more of a following than the Wests side of the merger. To be honest, we have lost faith in them. We’re getting Leichhardt Oval upgraded and we could play there every second week. If we can find the right backers, we want a shot at returning to the NRL.

“I don’t think the NRL would continue to allow the Wests Tigers to operate with the Tigers name without any involvement from Balmain. I really do believe the NRL competition needs a Tigers team. And not the Wests Tigers.”

The current licensing agreement between the NRL and its clubs expires at the end of the season.

Balmain see it as an opportunity to put forward a proposal that could force the NRL to choose between the Balmain Tigers and Wests Magpies if the NRL team is unable to keep the Tigers name without Balmain’s involvement.

The Balmain side owns 10 per cent of the Wests Tigers, with the other 90 per cent owned by the Holman Barnes Group – of which 30 per cent is owned by the Western Suburbs Magpies.

HBG acquired 15 per cent of Balmain’s previous share in 2019 when it agreed to pay off Balmain’s $3.2 million debt to the NRL.

Balmain have already held private conversations about approaching 94-year-old billionaire property developer Harry Triguboff, a diehard Tigers fan, to gauge his interest in potentially backing a Balmain licence given their limited financial resources.
The other name being discussed is billionaire automotive businessman, Neville Crichton, also a Balmain fan.

“If we had the right backers, we could go to the NRL with a proposal to stand alone,” Leo said. “The joint venture hasn’t worked. I’d rather risk ending up in NSW Cup than continuing on with the Wests Tigers.”

It comes a day after the Herald revealed Wests Tigers chairman Barry O’Farrell is considering walking away from the club after he was recently told by HBG he would have to reapply for his job.

Balmain chairman Danny Stapleton, who is also the Balmain representative on the Wests Tigers’ four-person board, said: “I have no comment on behalf of Balmain.”

Balmain directors feel they were blindsided by the external review at the end of last year, and believe many of HBG’s decisions have had a negative impact on the NRL club.

“One day we’re being told Barry O’Farrell would be reappointed as one of the independent directors, now they’re saying he’s not,” Leo said.

“They want people they can control. Unfortunately, it’s why they have been going so bad all these years, and that’s because the Wests directors have had too much influence on what is happening at the club. I felt sorry for Justin Pascoe. He was basically being told what to do by Wests.”

Holman Barnes Group chair Julie Romero has not responded to calls.

The Wests Tigers NRL franchise began in 2000 as an equal joint venture between two foundation clubs.

yakstorm

First Grade
“I don’t think the NRL would continue to allow the Wests Tigers to operate with the Tigers name without any involvement from Balmain. I really do believe the NRL competition needs a Tigers team. And not the Wests Tigers.”
I'm sure the NRL agrees with this statement, but it wouldn't be Balmain they'd be letting take the Tigers name, it would be Easts Tigers in Brisbane....

The Great Dane

First Grade

‘We’ve lost faith in them’: Balmain consider shock exit from Wests Tigers merger​

The Balmain board is set to call a crisis meeting to discuss removing the club from the joint venture with Western Suburbs in an ambitious bid to go it alone that could spell the end of the Wests Tigers.

In a move that will send shockwaves through the NRL, frustrated Balmain directors are preparing to call a vote on their involvement in the merger amid concern over decisions being made by the club’s majority owner, the Holman Barnes Group (HBG).

Balmain director and former Tigers first grade player Garry Leo told this masthead on Thursday he and his fellow board members had “lost faith” in HBG and was calling on fellow directors to endorse the end of the troubled joint venture 25 years after it was established.

“I really believe the time has come for us to step aside and resurrect the Balmain Tigers,” Leo, who played 156 games for Balmain in the 1960s and ’70s, told the Herald.

“We’ve got more of a following than the Wests side of the merger. To be honest, we have lost faith in them. We’re getting Leichhardt Oval upgraded and we could play there every second week. If we can find the right backers, we want a shot at returning to the NRL.

The current licensing agreement between the NRL and its clubs expires at the end of the season.

Balmain see it as an opportunity to put forward a proposal that could force the NRL to choose between the Balmain Tigers and Wests Magpies if the NRL team is unable to keep the Tigers name without Balmain’s involvement.

The Balmain side owns 10 per cent of the Wests Tigers, with the other 90 per cent owned by the Holman Barnes Group – of which 30 per cent is owned by the Western Suburbs Magpies.

HBG acquired 15 per cent of Balmain’s previous share in 2019 when it agreed to pay off Balmain’s $3.2 million debt to the NRL.

Balmain have already held private conversations about approaching 94-year-old billionaire property developer Harry Triguboff, a diehard Tigers fan, to gauge his interest in potentially backing a Balmain licence given their limited financial resources.
The other name being discussed is billionaire automotive businessman, Neville Crichton, also a Balmain fan.

“If we had the right backers, we could go to the NRL with a proposal to stand alone,” Leo said. “The joint venture hasn’t worked. I’d rather risk ending up in NSW Cup than continuing on with the Wests Tigers.”

It comes a day after the Herald revealed Wests Tigers chairman Barry O’Farrell is considering walking away from the club after he was recently told by HBG he would have to reapply for his job.

Balmain chairman Danny Stapleton, who is also the Balmain representative on the Wests Tigers’ four-person board, said: “I have no comment on behalf of Balmain.”

Balmain directors feel they were blindsided by the external review at the end of last year, and believe many of HBG’s decisions have had a negative impact on the NRL club.

“One day we’re being told Barry O’Farrell would be reappointed as one of the independent directors, now they’re saying he’s not,” Leo said.

“They want people they can control. Unfortunately, it’s why they have been going so bad all these years, and that’s because the Wests directors have had too much influence on what is happening at the club. I felt sorry for Justin Pascoe. He was basically being told what to do by Wests.”

Holman Barnes Group chair Julie Romero has not responded to calls.

The Wests Tigers NRL franchise began in 2000 as an equal joint venture between two foundation clubs.
The tards that are in charge of this sport never cease to amaze me.

The club and NRL would be better off in the long run if Balmain committed seppuku, so go for it Garry you clueless old merkin.

Diesel

Referee
In a perfect world, Western Suburbs move to Macarthur as the Magpies and Balmain merge their history with Easts in Brisbane, but this ain’t 1999.
Those fumbleball freaks would lose their shit if the NRL Magpies returned. Make it happen merkins

If Balmain seriously try and force the issue, I think the NRL would take the Magpies and leave Balmain out.

Balmain as a standalone is all built around "ifs" as in "if we get Harry Trigubbof to fund us" or "if we get Neville Crichton to buy in". They'd have no real roster to speak of, as the first grade roster would remain with the Magp[ies as the group owning 90% fof the JV, and the NRL would be looking at junior league cvatchment of South-west Sydney as more important. Balmain only own 10% of the JV due to some of the poor business decisions made over the last 10-20 years, so the track record of its business acumen is, in my opinion, questionable.

I think they're being quite dumb myself.

MugaB

Coach
What's richy Richo got to say about all this?
317.png
Easts Brisbane Tigers anyone?

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
If Balmain seriously try and force the issue, I think the NRL would take the Magpies and leave Balmain out.

Balmain as a standalone is all built around "ifs" as in "if we get Harry Trigubbof to fund us" or "if we get Neville Crichton to buy in". They'd have no real roster to speak of, as the first grade roster would remain with the Magp[ies as the group owning 90% fof the JV, and the NRL would be looking at junior league cvatchment of South-west Sydney as more important. Balmain only own 10% of the JV due to some of the poor business decisions made over the last 10-20 years, so the track record of its business acumen is, in my opinion, questionable.

I think they're being quite dumb myself.
The blue wiggle Anthony field proposed this some few years back... nostrodames

flippikat

Bench
A possible sequence of events...

* Balmain leave the joint venture

* Wests Ashfield rebrand the NRL side as Magpies

* Balmain contact Brisbane (Easts) Tigers, asking if they want to link-up, similar to the Newtown-Ipswich Jets bid.

* Brisbane (Easts) Tigers laugh at Balmain. ("Nah, you've just given us the opportunity to bid under our own brand. Besides, who'd be crazy enough to team-up with you?")

* Balmain contact NZ bid syndicates. They all refuse ("Nah, who'd be crazy enough to team up with you?")

* Balmain contact other bid syndicates. (Adelaide? Fiji? Central Queensland?!?) They all refuse: "Nah, who'd be crazy enough to team up with you?"

* Balmain end up in NSW Cup (best case) or Ron Massey Cup.

MugaB

Coach
A possible sequence of events...

* Balmain leave the joint venture

* Wests Ashfield rebrand the NRL side as Magpies

* Balmain contact Brisbane (Easts) Tigers, asking if they want to link-up, similar to the Newtown-Ipswich Jets bid.

* Brisbane (Easts) Tigers laugh at Balmain. ("Nah, you've just given us the opportunity to bid under our own brand. Besides, who'd be crazy enough to team-up with you?")

* Balmain contact NZ bid syndicates. They all refuse ("Nah, who'd be crazy enough to team up with you?")

* Balmain contact other bid syndicates. (Adelaide? Fiji? Central Queensland?!?) They all refuse: "Nah, who'd be crazy enough to team up with you?"

* Balmain end up in NSW Cup (best case) or Ron Massey Cup.
Balmain tigers go it alone they'll sit in nsw cup, like the bears did... this might be a ploy by the current ceo richy Richo to break em up, and get his east tigers merging with balmain... I had a very strong feeling about this when he got the job last year

The thing is the HBG Group own 90% of the joint venture. As such if it the club split, I dare say much of the clubs "assets" would remain with the HGB Group as Balmin only own 10% of the JV and don't have the financial resources to buy back a great part of it. as such, Riucho would most lilely remain as the CEO of the club (whatever its named) than go with the Balmain side of things.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Wouldn't it be so RL if the sport is finally rid of it's last merger only for PVL to give the Bears a license and doom us all to decades more of this infighting bull shit from the Western Bears. . .

MugaB

Coach
The thing is the HBG Group own 90% of the joint venture. As such if it the club split, I dare say much of the clubs "assets" would remain with the HGB Group as Balmin only own 10% of the JV and don't have the financial resources to buy back a great part of it. as such, Riucho would most lilely remain as the CEO of the club (whatever its named) than go with the Balmain side of things.
Well he is an intermediate CEO, he wants to go back to his easts tigers in Brisbane, the club he has been pushing for as on of the next expansion clubs, but no one wanted thier firehawk brand, (as they couldn't use the tigers) with this break up they can, regardless whether balmain is involved or not