What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eric might have outgrown Eels

benoir91

Juniors
The new, more 'experienced' Eric Grothe may be heading overseas, writes Glenn Jackson.
DEPENDING on the result of today's match against St George Illawarra, Eric Grothe could bid Parramatta a fond sayonara or au revoir at full-time.
Grothe is believed to be on the verge of leaving the Eels for Japanese rugby, while France is also an option.
Without saying when he might leave Australia, the former international admitted he had seriously considered both rugby competitions, but the fact he could be overseas with 12 months on his contract will shock most Parramatta fans.
Grothe's career, however, has always had an expect-the-unexpected flavour. He's a hard man to pin down.
On the field he runs straight and hard, taking his opponents head on.
Off it he is unique, too, although in a vastly different way. He is the player who could not be contacted by the NRL judiciary because he was at a mate's place with no mobile coverage, and who has called himself a musician who plays football to pay the bills.
The Sun-Herald thought he was up to his old tricks last week when he pulled out of an interview because of food poisoning, only for him to miss a game as a result.
''Mate, I lost four kilos,'' he said this week. ''I was that crook I lost the old mid-season gut.''
Grothe is the riddle no one can solve. He is the football player an army of coaches could try to unlock without success - a ''novelty'' as he puts it.
You could say he is a square peg in a round hole but he certainly ain't square. He oozes teen spirit even though he is now 29.
The Sun-Herald asked him if he now considered himself experienced, to which he replied: ''I've never heard my name and the word 'experienced' in the same sentence. I don't know about that. If you put that tag on me, I'm probably expected to be a little bit mature.
''That 'enigmatic' one's good because it means I can do what I want. 'He's enigmatic - don't worry about him.'
''I like to play dumb, too, because then less is expected of you.''
Maybe that was why former coach Michael Hagan hung on for so long last year before dumping him to NSW Cup. Grothe said he ''dreaded'' the axe for some time before it was finally swung.
''Hages was a bit of an easy-going bloke and I must have taken advantage of it - not on purpose, it just happened,'' he said. ''I didn't sit down with a pen and paper and plot how to take advantage of him, it just happened that way.''
But his stint with Wentworthville turned out to be the ''kick in the bum'' he needed, making him realise utilities weren't just players who could fill a number of positions.
''It just made me realise how lucky we are as full-time footballers,'' Grothe said. ''Blokes were turning up in their work utes buggered from work, jumping out of their skin to kick a ball around, and I just thought, 'I'm just ungrateful'. They'd work all day and train all night.
''It made me think I was a bit spoilt: 'Stop carrying on like a tool and just enjoy what you've got.'''
Grothe stops short of saying he has more maturity but his band has taken something of a back seat. So has he changed?
''No, not really,'' he says. ''I guess I know I have to work harder now to keep my spot. But I'm still pretty lazy, or whatever, at home. I'm a lot less lazy at training, I know that.''
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/eric-may-have-outgrown-eels/2009/09/12/1252519678869.html

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Id rather keep him, but I wont be devestated if he leaves. I would be devestated to no longer see the name Grothe on the Eels playing squad.

Bazal

Post Whore
I hope he stays for a bit at least. He may be enigmatic, but Eric Grothe has always been one of the most dangerous wingers in the competition and with no disrespect whatsoever to Burty and Reddy I'd rather him than both.

cgee221

Juniors
Nowhere in this article does Eric talk about leaving, unless it actually happens this article seems to be nothing more than just speculation.

strider

Post Whore
Nowhere in this article does Eric talk about leaving, unless it actually happens this article seems to be nothing more than just speculation.
mmmm - was scratching my head about where all the details of him leaving were ... not saying its not true, but its more an article about his personality

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Be a shame if we do lose Eric for next year, he's been one of our most consistent player all year. His running from dummy half is very underated.

bartman

Immortal
Eric was always the obvious one who wouldn't make the first choice backline next year. So wouldn't be a shock if he considers overseas.

Hayne
Burt (goal kicker)
Tahu
Reddy
Inu (goal kicker)

It's a bit silly to have six top class backs under contract for five positions. I thought Grothe might be a candidate for a move to the forwards (a la Ben Smith), but if he wants to look at Japan or Superleague etc, then good on him and I wish him well. After all, he has left our club before.

big boppa eel

Juniors
I hope he stays for a bit at least. He may be enigmatic, but Eric Grothe has always been one of the most dangerous wingers in the competition and with no disrespect whatsoever to Burty and Reddy I'd rather him than both.
Are you serious, I like Grothe too but not at the expense of Burt and Reddy.:?

Stagger eel

Staff member
there's been a fair bit of speculation about a couple of our players in the last few weeks, I even got a message resently about Burt being the target of Brian Smith to go to the chooks...

one things for certain, we have 6 high quality outside backs to fit into 5 positions and something has to give...

caylo

Bench
there's been a fair bit of speculation about a couple of our players in the last few weeks, I even got a message resently about Burt being the target of Brian Smith to go to the chooks...

one things for certain, we have 6 high quality outside backs to fit into 5 positions and something has to give...

The titans have the same thing with 1-7 + Zillman and consider this.

Zilman has played every game from round 1-23 (21 game + 2byes) before he got suspended for biting. Of those 21 games he has started only when an injury to the backline has occured and that has been 14 times.

Essentially 2/3 games he has been promoted to the starting side because of injury even in a team that is ran 3rd over the season.

IMO Burt should play the Zillman role off the bench and if an injury occurs to anyone from 1-7 Burt could cover.

Fullback/Wing Injured: Burt goes straigh in
Centre injured: one of the wingers moves into the centres and Burt onto the wing(Inu or Reddy, depends who is play on the wing with the other in the centres already)
5-8 injured: Burt can move into 5-8 in attack and onto the win in defence with everyone moving in one in defence (aka benji in defence). Other option is Hayne to 5-8 and Burt to fullback.
Halfback injured: 5-8 (either Keating or Mortimer) moves into halfback and Burt moves into 5-8 andchanges as above occure.

This will allow the team minimal disruption during the season and not have get get used to a new half or fullback etc. Also we know what Burt can produce and its not as rinsky as bring in a new jnr.

With Humbles addition to the squad tjou the club may be looking to promote him into the #14 in which we may see one of Burt, Reddy or Grothe sitting in Wenty for an exended period.

yy_cheng

Coach
It's one too many backs. It is not economical to carry an extra experienced first grader. That's what juniors are there for.

Albeit having a bench of Burt and Mitchell could work because a backrow of

Hindy, Mateo, Smith who all can play 80 mins.

You would have FFMM and Shacks rotating with the props.

FUrthermore, when Mitchell is on, MK also comes on as a lock like he does when Kingston is on.

It could work but I would still rather carry an extra forward as the likelihood a forward going down is is much higher.

We always have Benny to play centre shifting or Mateo in the centres or 6 too.

So I still would be more inclined to have an extra forward.

Burty or Grothe. For mine, it doesn't matter as much but if either one gets an opportunity elsewhere. We should let them go.

It's one too many backs. It is not economical to carry an extra experienced first grader. That's what juniors are there for.

I know the salary cap is a huge juggle, but would be great to have that extra first grade back going in today, when they are looking to drop Wright back into the frying pan which burnt him last week.

Bazal

Post Whore
Are you serious, I like Grothe too but not at the expense of Burt and Reddy.:?

In top form Eric is better than both, especially as a winger. Again, no disrespect to Burt or Reddy who are very good players. If anything, I;d have Guru over Burt with Burt on the bench

Gaffman

Juniors
In top form Eric is better than both, especially as a winger. Again, no disrespect to Burt or Reddy who are very good players. If anything, I;d have Guru over Burt with Burt on the bench

Totally disagree.

This article should always have read "2010 Eels Backline has no room for Grothe"

Also with this Jono Wright situation, pardon my ignorance but what happened to Tautai and Etu?

Delboy

First Grade
Etu has resigned for next year, Tautai I believe will be going to the gummies, like most of the players who are moving on

yy_cheng

Coach
I know the salary cap is a huge juggle, but would be great to have that extra first grade back going in today, when they are looking to drop Wright back into the frying pan which burnt him last week.
agree today yes.

But tbh, if INU is out this week, I would have Bennny in the centres and a forward to replace him.

A forward plays what, 25 mins? A Centre stays on the field the whole match.

Actually ETU should've been in instead of Wright.

Correct me if I am wrong, ETU plays wing, Wright is a centre????

Wright looked good when playing left wing when INU was off

Latest posts