What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESL Players

• Thread starter Deleted member 10972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10972

Yo i'm a Sydney Roosters & NRL fan, but i would like to get to know more about the ESL. After watching a few matches i've seen some amazing talent in your competition. And if possible, i was wondering if anyone could give me a basic rundown of the star players in the League & what they offer to their teams e.g. the Great Britain Team, the Kiwi's (like Volkano, Talau & Hape), or others. If anyone has an in-detail analysis & rundown of the stars of ESL, can you please either PM me, or reply? Thank you for your appreciation. Players i've heard of that i want to know more about include (just to name a few...if i've missed out anyone important tell me please):

Kieron Cunningham
Paul Wellens
Stuart Fielden
Paul Sculthorpe
Ryan Bailey
Shontayne Hape
Jamie Peacock
Kevin Sinfield
Gareth Ellis
Terry Newton
Danny Sculthorpe
Keith Senior
Leon Pryce

Oh & thank you for Morley. Whoever said no ESL players are good can burn in hell. Morley is a champion & one of our best ever buys. He is consistent, destructive, & is much less prone to suspension. He is a legend.

Peace out.

damo72

Juniors
These are just my personal opinions but I am sure you will get differing ones

Kieron Cunningham - very destructive runner from dummy half and good defender, came back well from a possible career ending injury to be one of the Saints best this season
Paul Wellens - got the nod last season for the tri series due to Radlinski being out and performed very well, will possibly get the gig again this season due to Radlinski being out injured for the majority of the season and being in a side that isn't performing
Stuart Fielden - seems to be one of a few props running around that can go the 80 minutes and be going as well in the 80th as he is in the 1st
Paul Sculthorpe - I don't think the Aussies have seen the best of him, but he is a very intelligent ball player and more than capable defender, plays a similar game to a 5/8 in the NRL
Ryan Bailey - a very aggressive prop who can walk a fine line but will probably get a start against the Aussies and Kiwis to show that they won't be taking a backward step
Shontayne Hape - been out most of the season so there isn't much to go from for this season, but fully fit he is a good finisher but is one of many talented outside backs at Bradford
Jamie Peacock - GB vice captain who I believe was shifted to prop for a while this season at Bradford, very hard at the moment to find a similar player in the NRL for you to relate him to
Kevin Sinfield - God knows why he wasn't part of the GB side last season, a very good ball player with a kicking game and a very well established goal kicker, should defnitely be wearing the 6 jersey this tri series
Gareth Ellis - lock forward who I think if he gets in the 17 for the GB side will be on the bench as he can fill in at the back row and in the centres, probably a Shaun Timmins type player
Terry Newton - been part of a struggling side and in my opinion Wayne Godwin has had a bit more influence on the Wigan side, but I am sure someone will disagree, can be fiery sometimes and I have seen his aggression get the better of him
Danny Sculthorpe - haven't heard much of him this season due to injury I believe, I have heard some people say he is the pick of the props in the ESL when right, but from what I have seen has been patchy
Keith Senior - leading ESL tryscorer and will definitely be one of the centres this season, an allround centre with good defence and great tryscoring ability
Leon Pryce - to me his a centre despite him saying IIRC, that he wanted to be the GB stand off, has played a bit of fullback this season aswell, fairly big and good in defence but I like the look of his brother Karl better who is an absolute monster for a kid of his age

Best thing to do is to go to www.superleague.co.uk and there are links for all the sides on the top of the page

Some others who have impressed me this season are
Richard Horne
Paul Cooke
Jamie Thackray
Danny Ward
Ade Gardner
Lee Briers ( when fit I really enjoy watching him play)
Tyrone Smith (Ex Rooster now at the Broncos, George Smiths brother) - from what I have seen of him this season he does have a bit of a future
Rob Burrow

there are a heap more that are more than capable and if you get the chance I do suggest that you watch some of the ESL, it is a different game to the NRL but very enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 10972

Thank you...'cause i was surfing through the forums and from what i gather the current Great Britain side looks like:

Paul Wellens/Kris Radlinski
Brian Carney
Keith Senior
???
???
Kevin Sinfield
???
Ryan Bailey
Kieron Cunningham
Stuart Fielden
Adrian Morley
Jamie Peacock
Paul Sculthorpe

Gareth Ellis
Terry Newton/Matt Diskin
???
???

To me...Martin Gleeson isn't as good as the hype around him. Neither is Calderwood. Ade Gardner, Leon Pryce & Karl Pryce look much better.

Gaz_E

Juniors
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
To me...Martin Gleeson isn't as good as the hype around him. Neither is Calderwood. Ade Gardner, Leon Pryce & Karl Pryce look much better.

Martin Gleeson is awesome, there is only three really good centres in SL, and he's one of them. One of the most devestating side steps around, with superb handling to boot.

Someone mentioned Lee Briers, on form no-one can touch this player, and to think he'll be playing with Andrew Johns in a months time is to good to be true. Briers has got it all (passing, kicking, running), he's just a bit of an enigma and doesn't show it all the time, suffers a bit with injuries that have hampered him in the last few years.

Latest posts