What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESPN's guide to NRL for NFL fans

T-Boon

Coach
Assuming this continues for a few more weeks before it all gets locked down.
Why not look into playing some games in the morning (9am) that would amount to prime time in the USA?

blue bags

First Grade
It made me think coaches are spending 80% of their practices working on defense and 20% on attack - WHICH THEY ARE - and they think it is acceptable - WHICH IT ISNT.
panthers defence let 28 points in, dragons let in 32, 5 tries each, do top 8 teams do that ??

Comparing Roosters to Dallas is ridiculous. The Cowboys haven't even been in the equivalent of a NRL prelim since 1995!

I think you missed the key part of which was in the last sentence -

"The Sydney Roosters are the Dallas Cowboys. But they actually win things."

I think most of the rest of the comparison is about the off field equivalents.

The Marshall

Juniors
I think you missed the key part of which was in the last sentence -

"The Sydney Roosters are the Dallas Cowboys. But they actually win things."

I think most of the rest of the comparison is about the off field equivalents.
Disqualifying something as important as winning competitions makes the rest of the points irrelevant when comparing sports teams for mine.

axl rose

Bench
Yeah its a bit lazy, it would be like comparing Souths and Dallas because of "Pride of the League" and "America's Team"

I follow both the Wests Tigers and the Cincinnati Bengals and the similarities always amaze me. I am a former Balmain fan so excuse me going back and making comparisons with them for the purpose of this thread.

Now on the surface the Tigers logo is an obvious similarity but it is much deeper than that. Both teams finished runners up in the season 1988 and 1989 Balmain lost to Canterbury and Canberra in the Grand Final and the Bengals lost both Superbowls to the 49ers. The 90's were just shit for both teams with the only finals appearance being the Tigers in 1990 finals and the Bengals in 1991. The rest of the decade was completely forgettable for both teams.

Both teams stormed back into the post seasons in 2005 with the Wests Tigers winning the premiership and the Bengals being in top form until a serious knee injury to quarterback Carson Palmer. The 2010's were fairly successful for the Bengals with sustained playoff appearances (6 in a row) but never got past the 1st round of playoffs (they actually haven't won a playoff game since that 1991 playoff appearance). That is so similar to the Tigers repeated 9th place finishes lol.

Tigers have the NRL record for longest finals drought the Bengals own for the longest since a playoff win! Personality wise the teams are just so similar, strong attacking weapons but have mostly lacked the starch needed to compete with the big boys.

There I have people The Wests Tigers and the Cincinnati Bengals are in fact the long lost twin of the sporting world! Hell their colours are even the same so I'd say they are identical twins!
Good read. I've always followed the likable losers that are the Buffalo Bills though. Runners up 4 times in the 80s. And starting in the 00s had a 17 year finals drought. Ouch. Back in business now though.

unforgiven

Bench
Good read. I've always followed the likable losers that are the Buffalo Bills though. Runners up 4 times in the 80s. And starting in the 00s had a 17 year finals drought. Ouch. Back in business now though.

It was the Cincinnati Bengals that got the Bills into the playoffs with a last play touchdown thrown by Andy Dalton which knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs. Bills fans were so happy with Dalton they donated Millions of $$ to his charity that helps children's hospitals in Cincinnati! Dalton then donated the money to hospitals in the Buffalo area and did appearances at the hospitals in the lead up to the next Bengals bills game!

blue bags

First Grade
It was the Cincinnati Bengals that got the Bills into the playoffs with a last play touchdown thrown by Andy Dalton which knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs. Bills fans were so happy with Dalton they donated Millions of $$ to his charity that helps children's hospitals in Cincinnati! Dalton then donated the money to hospitals in the Buffalo area and did appearances at the hospitals in the lead up to the next Bengals bills game!
thanks for the insightful info, i had no idea what happened there with the donations, thats great people for you fantastic work. love to all of those folks, , 17 years with no playoff, it was a long long road to take , having new england patriots in our group makes it hard