What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Essendon

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Gordon was never injected with anything, he admitted it himself. Warfarin is not a banned substance, its a blood thinner, so is aspirin. He got a bruise playing footy......next

He described Dank as a ''strange dude'' he never spoke to during his time at the club. He admitted he was often given a liquid before games but never received an injection. ''I was never injected with anything at Cronulla,'' Gordon said.
''The only thing I ever took was a drink before the game. I was never injected at the Sharks and when I heard the reports, it came as a big surprise to me. I've never seen anyone at the club injected. If it happened, they did it individually in another room and kept it all from us. We would've seen it if it was happening in front of us.''

m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/i-was-told-it-was-bruising-youd-only-see-on-a-90yearold-lady-20130321-2gitt.html

Why do you assume that excerpt from an article is true?

Another excerpt from a different article says

Players were allegedly bruised from frequent injections and one Shark, Isaac Gordon, protested "Not more needles" when asked to give blood samples, the report claims.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...plements-program/story-e6frexrr-1226630788178

Frenzy.

Post Whore
They are awaiting approval.
on the warfarin issue, does anybody really think that Gordon was given a cup of warfarin snake oil before running out onto the field? What a croc of shyt. he was most likely given the warfarin as a cream, in recovery, to elimate a cork or something. In the old days they used to use a schooner glass that had been vaccuumed by a cnadle to suck the blood of the muscle.
Nice post longy.

Unless Dank or someone else had warfarin incorporated into a cream it can't of happened.

Warfarin is only available in 2 forms. Tablets and Ratsack.

If there was a cream with warfarin incorporated into it then it does become illegal unless it can be proved there were clinical trials and it had been given TGA approval.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
because the daily telegraph reporters have been sucked in by labor/asada/ACC. They are regurgitating those organisations directives, fabrications & lies. The reporters will be hung out to dry on this & it is going to cost them dearly.

The Dodger

First Grade
both my parents take Warfarin. they both have had bypasses done, the old lady had her metro valve replaced with a metal one and the old man had a triple bypass where they replaced one of the main veins around the heart with one from his leg.

It is used to thin the blood out to prevent blood clots and allow to flow through better.

One thing I noticed, they become immune to the level they take and constantly need to re adjust the amount.

it comes in a tablet form.

I've also been on Warfarin when I had a blood clot a few years ago, had injections from a community nurse and it was closely monitored. Then took tablets for a few months and had regular blood tests to monitor the level.

My father was also on Warfarin after his 2 by pass operations.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
both my parents take Warfarin. they both have had bypasses done, the old lady had her metro valve replaced with a metal one and the old man had a triple bypass where they replaced one of the main veins around the heart with one from his leg.

It is used to thin the blood out to prevent blood clots and allow to flow through better.

One thing I noticed, they become immune to the level they take and constantly need to re adjust the amount.

it comes in a tablet form.

Patients don't become immune as such. What happens is their INR fluctuates. INR is a clotting test. It measures the Prothombin Time of a person on warfarin as a ratio to the PT of a person not on warfarin.

Different conditions require a different ratio and there are target ranges. For example a person with a valve replacement might need an INR between 2.5 - 3.5. Normal is around 1.0 - 1.5.
Usually every 3-5 days an INR will be taken when patients first start. Doses need to be adjusted regularly at first and monitoring is done very regularly initially. It's rare for people to be on the same dose for life. There is an enormous amount of governance around warfarin use in the public health system, less so, unfortunatley in private practice.

The thing with alleged warfarin use at the Sharks is not that the players will get in trouble. They won't. I don't think people are seperating the issues well. ASADA will not be giving flying fugg about it.

The problem at the Sharks will be for the doctor in the main part. Possibly the physio who would have knowledge and the drugs/doping officer. All of these people "should" of known if players were being given warfarin. They may of acted appropriately after the fact for all we know but there has been no reporting of what was done other than some indignant protesting at having Dank about.

Recently the ACC made referrals about some medicos mentioned in their report to APHRA.

I will not be surprised at who these might be.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I've also been on Warfarin when I had a blood clot a few years ago, had injections from a community nurse and it was closely monitored. Then took tablets for a few months and had regular blood tests to monitor the level.

My father was also on Warfarin after his 2 by pass operations.

Clexane?

Longy

Juniors

Another excerpt from a different article says

I believe it to be true because the reporter asked Gordon direct and that was his response.

Kavanagh didn't speak to any players and Gordon's "quote" about no more needles came from someone else's account of what may or may not have been said by him.

If Gordon said he didn't have needles, I believe him, just hope the story doesn't change in court.

I'm also a Sharks tragic and like to believe what I want to believe from the media, the rest is obviously total BS & lies.....

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Can any of you warfarin users advise on what happens to players who have suffered clotting bruising on away games that include longish flights. NZ NQld Perth etc.

Pig Champion

Juniors
Whether it's illegal or not, using anticoagulants in a contact sport is crazy.
Imagine controlling the bleeding in a nasal or facial injury, that'd be fun.

Yep - the injections were Clexane, forgot that. I broke my ankle on holidays in Tassie, discovered the clot some days after flying home.

And Warfarin is pretty irrelevant to the ASADA investigation anyway. Its a pretty standard medication used for blod clots / deep vein thrombosis.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Yep - the injections were Clexane, forgot that. I broke my ankle on holidays in Tassie, discovered the clot some days after flying home.

And Warfarin is pretty irrelevant to the ASADA investigation anyway. Its a pretty standard medication used for blod clots / deep vein thrombosis.

Exactly. Any alleged use of warfarin will be dealt with in other ways if there has been lack of duty of care.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal

So what you are saying is, that after impact & flying, you discovered clots. Dangerous clots.
So I wonder if anybody here knows what remedies are in order for NRL players who fly every 2nd week?

Well it was one clot in my case, but my doc reacted very seriously and sent me to the local hospital for treatment. From what I understand Clexane and Warfarin are standard medications to treat this life threatening condition so one would think that it would be completely ethical to use these medications for footy players who had clots.

Card Shark

Immortal
They were on fire early on in the season but have lost their last 4 & are now 7th. No danger of slipping out of the 8 though as there is no competition for top 8 spots in the AFL.

ASADA shit seems to be catching up on them.

Latest posts