What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euro Champs Fixtures Announced

deal.with.it

Juniors
well sort of...

European tournament XIII of France defy Wales in Albi

One year after the World Cup Rugby League, Team France will find this fall when the Tournament European competition and meet Ireland, Wales and Scotland.
Following the draw conducted by the European Federation Rugby League (RLEF), France will move the weekend of 18/19 October for Ireland, before receiving Wales Saturday, October 25 and close the tournament Scotland on 1/2 November.
On this occasion, the XIII of France find the Albi Stadium, four years after beating Scotland (26-12) and bowing of a small point against Wales (12-11).
Since then, the Blues are taxed twice to face Welsh at Wrexham in June 2012 (28-16) and Lens (20-6) in October 2012.
This match against Wales looks as the shock of the European tournament, so come support and XIII of France celebrate as it should be the 80th anniversary of the French Federation of Rugby League!

Source: www.ffr13.fr

Ireland v France, October 18/19 - Ireland
France v Wales, October 25 - Albi, France
Scotland v France, November 1/2 - Scotland

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I think it is good to see some games in Ireland and Scotland. I'm not sure France have played there before. This is the sort of thing they should be aiming for in the long run, have to start somewhere. A 5k crowd at each game would be a success.

yakstorm

First Grade
It will be interesting to see how ambitious Ireland and Scotland will be with the games they host.

Last time France went to Ireland they hosted it a Thomond Park in Limerick and had 3,000 for the crowd. France hasn't been to Scotland since 97...

So...

France has shown it can draw between 10 and 15k for these games and it gets one at home.

Ireland couldn't even get 5k for a world cup game against the roos and it gets two at home.

Scotland has never achieved a crowd of 5k for a home international and it gets two.

Makes sense.

And...

Where is Italy? It beat wales and finished higher than wales last year so why is it relegated?

Also makes sense.

If this is a qualifier for the 4N we better pray to god france overcomes the draw and wins.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
So...

France has shown it can draw between 10 and 15k for these games and it gets one at home.

Ireland couldn't even get 5k for a world cup game against the roos and it gets two at home.

Scotland has never achieved a crowd of 5k for a home international and it gets two.

Makes sense.

That's an ultra-conservative post. That's international RL for the past 50 years summed up.

It would be nice for league to have an equivalent to the six nations. That is surely the aim of league in Western Europe. The only way it is going to happen is by playing games in Scotland and Ireland (and Wales and Italy).

The only way people on the ground, the people that actually matter, are going to have exposure to the game is by playing in Ireland and Scotland.

The only way crowds bigger than 5k are going to turn up in Ireland and Scotland is by playing games there.

Start playing games there now and keep playing games there.

What's the best that could happen by playing three in France? The FFRXIII make a bit of coin. OK, they need it, but it doesn't help the local Ireland or Scotland scene one iota.

Last edited:
Firstly, the same could be said of France. They have really only just started bumping crowds up beyond 10k and only in a couple of towns. So it could equally be said France needs more games to maintain that momentum and grow further.

Secondly, scotland and Ireland have been hosting games like this since the late 90s and crowds haven't really improved at all. There's no reason why they will now either. One home game each would have been fair and done a job. Two is crazy.

And as far as benefitting these countries, drawing a couple more five figure crowds in France and ploughing some takings back into all countries would seem like a far smarter plan. The only sensible reasons for this draw would be if a broadcaster insisted on more games in the British isles or if there was public money on offer. These seem unlikely. In fact France would also seem more likely to provide these revenue sources than Ireland or scotland.

Also, it doesn't answer the Italy question.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
No it doesn't, but to be fair, Italy are quite active locally, moreso than Ireland and Scotland which compensates things a bit. Perhaps there are issues with the two competiting Federations, I don't know. It is a shame because AirItalia have previously sponsored this thing, I doubt they will without Italy.

I just can't understand the logic of not playing in the celtic countries. Yes, they may save/make a little more money, but I would have hoped that the WC was run to fund exactly this sort of thing.

If they have previously played in the 90s I'm sure it was pathetically done. If the AFL can put a game on in Wellington and get a reasoanble turn out then surely these games can.

langpark

First Grade
The grim reality is that Italy, without their WC Aussie ring-ins, aren't even a shadow of France-Wales-Ireland-Scotland...

I'm still not seeing any strong arguments that justify playing more games in Ireland and Scotland than in France. One each would have been ample.

And I just shake my head at statements like france concentrating on Toulouse instead of playing more home tests as if they have to choose between the two. If anything it backs up the need for more games in France and Toulouse in particular.

Italy beat wales a few years ago without the world cup ring ins and its dependence on heritage players is no different to Ireland and Scotland. So I still can't see any justification for their ommission either. The growth of the game there, once again, would suggest they should be promoted ahead of Scotland and Ireland if anything. The whole set up defies sense.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I'm still not seeing any strong arguments that justify playing more games in Ireland and Scotland than in France. One each would have been ample.

Because France are miles ahead of the others?
Aids the underdogs a little?
Gives these countries more experience in hosting international games plus more exposure, whereas France have tons of experience, much more exposure at a local level?
Reduces travel costs for the Irish, Welsh and Scottish leagues?

And I just shake my head at statements like france concentrating on Toulouse instead of playing more home tests as if they have to choose between the two. If anything it backs up the need for more games in France and Toulouse in particular.

That's true, Toulouse could use an international game having only had the WC warmup.

Wizardman

First Grade
What a useless cause.....just play the game in the big three countries....the rest are a f**king waste of time.

Wizardman

First Grade
You tell me...what is the f**king point???? You guys can see the futility of the Afl's attempts to spread the game overseas....same deal here

Rodney

Juniors
i know this is ridiculous bait.

But the AFL only has one country that's good at the sport
The AFL decided to try and develop an international game they'd play a different sport vs Ireland that no-one plays professionally.
And then they also decided to have contests of their own sport, and not invite themselves!
They have no base to build the sport internationally and the effort they put into building the sport overseas is minimal (they spend less than league per annum, from memory the AFL dedicates half of what the RLIF sinks)

Rugby League has three countries which rate as elite.
Our contests involve the same sport we play over here and and not some bastardised compromise which no-one plays.
And when we invite everyone over to play we also include all contenders (including ourselves).
We have a base to build from and we are putting in serious resources in our efforts to do so.

The AFL can't do anything until it develops at least one rival to Australia, which won't happen for another 50 years considering all the professional infrastructure is in this country.
If they have no rival they can't play elite international matches and they're gonna have to stick to amateur meetups every 4 years.

Rugby League has 2, which has the potential to seriously develop into at least 3 with PNG obsessed with the sport.
League has professional leagues overseas and enough interest in the sport to fund international competitions.
League has people that are willing to pay to see internationals, the only internationals AF fans pay to see are of a sport that no-one plays (international rules) and i don't think there'd be many AF fans willing to pay to see an AF international.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
You tell me...what is the f**king point???? You guys can see the futility of the Afl's attempts to spread the game overseas....same deal here

If you said this to the people that play and administer the game overseas, and have done so in some cases for decades, they would find it odd or be quite upset I think. It's not up to Australians to decide what they should and shouldn't do.

Steve Davy

Juniors
If you said this to the people that play and administer the game overseas, and have done so in some cases for decades, they would find it odd or be quite upset I think. It's not up to Australians to decide what they should and shouldn't do.

It is OK, we do not do it for an anonymous troll on the internet. It is for the people in these countries and giving them a good time. If the ARL wanted it, but it was no good for people on the ground, then I am sure we would stop.

deal.with.it

Juniors

Because everyone has the right to play rugby league, regardless of where you come from.
You play rugby league and these opportunities arise for the best players from these countries.
Makes sense to me...

Latest posts