What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

European Championship 2018

langpark

First Grade
1200 or so at Wrexham.

8 years ago the French games drew 14522, 6721 and 10413, this year they were lucky to be 2000. This tournament has the potential to be great, but it needs to be built up far more than it currently is.
Well, they got one thing right this year with the broadcasting deal! So it's headed in the right direction!

With some early planning ahead of the next one, they need to 1) secure a naming rights deal and 2) promote the hell out of it to get some bigger crowds. Still, overall I'd have to say it was a success, and the two WC spots on the line gave more importance to the games, unlike in years gone by.

latingringo101

Juniors
1200 or so at Wrexham.

8 years ago the French games drew 14522, 6721 and 10413, this year they were lucky to be 2000. This tournament has the potential to be great, but it needs to be built up far more than it currently is.
It doesn't help that these fixtures were announced at the last minute, reap what you get I suppose.

None the less well done to Wales and France for making it through to the 2021 RLWC. Be interesting to see what Scotland and Ireland do in the repechange round

RedVee

First Grade
I expect that Wales and France can use this extra certainty to build for the RLWC.

Well I hope so.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
One thing that is a positive is that the best two countries got through in terms of domestic development!

I would love to see a three test series played every few years between France and Wales. I think both countries can use each other to grow.
Good post and very true. France still 10 years ahead of wales. Hopefully both countries can improve the professionalism

yakstorm

First Grade
For Wales, the biggest boost to them will be the government funding they now can access.

As per previous years when they've qualified for a World Cup, they usually receive sometimes up to a 10x increase on Government support.

An extra year or two of this funding will go a long way for a thrifty league like the WRL.