What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

European rankings (domestic development)

langpark

First Grade
Something I've long been curious about. Not the national team rankings, but each nation is judged on how healthy it's domestic scene is looking. I know it will be debatable, but I think this will be very close and I can back most of it up with figures (number of active clubs, matches per year etc.). It's a mixture of quantity and quality.

1. England
2. France
3. Wales
4. Ireland
5. Serbia
6. Russia
7. Italy
8. Lebanon
9. Ukraine
10. Czech Republic
11. Norway
12. Spain
13. Greece
14. Netherlands
15. Scotland
16. Germany
17. Turkey
18. Bosnia
19. Poland
20. Bulgaria
21. Sweden
22. Hungary
23. Albania
24. Belgium
25. Denmark
26. Malta
27. Latvia

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't see any obvious clangers there.
Malta is so disappointing to me, really strong Sydney based team but I can't find anything on their domestic scene, so I have to assume it doesn't exist.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I would question Russia, once they looked promising but as usual in rugby league when they can't fund themselves we just walk away.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I would question Russia, once they looked promising but as usual in rugby league when they can't fund themselves we just walk away.

Don't underestimate the importance of access to easy money for sport in countries where participants don't often have access to much money or time. It's 10x harder to get in say Russia compared to Australia.

latingringo101

Juniors
Something I've long been curious about. Not the national team rankings, but each nation is judged on how healthy it's domestic scene is looking. I know it will be debatable, but I think this will be very close and I can back most of it up with figures (number of active clubs, matches per year etc.). It's a mixture of quantity and quality.

1. England
2. France
3. Wales
4. Ireland
5. Serbia
6. Russia
7. Italy
8. Lebanon
9. Ukraine
10. Czech Republic
11. Norway
12. Spain
13. Greece
14. Netherlands
15. Scotland
16. Germany
17. Turkey
18. Bosnia
19. Poland
20. Bulgaria
21. Sweden
22. Hungary
23. Albania
24. Belgium
25. Denmark
26. Malta
27. Latvia
I'd put Scotland last four or five, haven't seen domestic activity in a while there

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Don't underestimate the importance of access to easy money for sport in countries where participants don't often have access to much money or time. It's 10x harder to get in say Russia compared to Australia.

That's right and is the reason why the NRL should help fund international growth.

You may have misread what I meant. Iwas referring to the established league countries rather than Russia itself walking away. I recall Colin Love making a trip there when all was good but nothing ever happened and no assistance was given financially to help drive the sport which had potential.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
From 5th down, i would love to see some of those teams make the next WC...

Some random teams and theyd be in for a thrashing, but it would be cool to see some variety and some new teams.

langpark

First Grade
I'd put Scotland last four or five, haven't seen domestic activity in a while there
I'm probably Scotland's biggest critic. But that being said, it's not fair to say that there is literally zero going on there. But looking back over the list I do agree, they probably still should have been a few spots lower than I had them.

deluded pom?

Coach
I'm probably Scotland's biggest critic. But that being said, it's not fair to say that there is literally zero going on there. But looking back over the list I do agree, they probably still should have been a few spots lower than I had them.
Since the demise of Aberdeen Warriors any domestic RL in Scotland is on the shoulders of students and I think there are some age limit teams playing though I'm not sure at what age group/s.

Latest posts