What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evaluate the Rookies

Raider_69

Post Whore
Gafa - Not really a rookie but ill add him anyways. He has been an absolute rock! Mr Fix It and his form has been top notch. I think he could be potential captain material but is perhaps too old to be considered as the club wont want a short fix

Miller: Strong runner of the footy and never stops moving his legs. Low centre of gravety which helps him to stay on his feet. Hopefully we will see more of him, i think he has something we havnt seen yet.

Kahler: Havnt seen all that much of him but he didnt show all that much when given a chance, he showed enough for me to want to see more of him.

Rothery: Big lump of a lad with plenty of ticker. He makes plenty of yards up the guts and proves a hard task to bring down. He does however get a bit lazy in defence. Will push for a spot on the bench next season and with good reason

Smith: Strong build and more than solid defender, potent finisher and possesses a sharpe step. Lack of speed worrys me but with a good off season and some sprint/acceleration work he will push for a first grade spot next season

Carney: Looks the goods so far, has a calm, cool head on his shoulders and has good vision and passing. Havnt seen much if any kicking from him which is disappointing but he will be a vital part in our future plans.

Lawrence: Not a bad replacement for Woolford but will only ever be a back up at canberra, will come in handy next season if germ goes down.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to add anyone ive missed

thickos

First Grade
Campo: I think he has had a reasonable taste of first grade. Good kicking game on him and enough size to make a physical presence out there. I'd like to see him as our lock eventually, the kid has the passing game to be a very handy running forward who can mix it up with his other skills.

Weyman - what more needs to be said! :D

thuganomics

Coach
Carney and Smith are the 2 real big up and commers. Carney has shown that he can be a succesful halfback and has great vision.
Smith can get over the try line, simple as that.

BAY72

Juniors
thuganomics said:
Carney and Smith are the 2 real big up and commers. Carney has shown that he can be a succesful halfback and has great vision.
Smith can get over the try line, simple as that.

I want to see both these lads given a bigger role next season, if not by the end of this one.

Both have shown they have tallent and have proved it numerouse times. I just wish the club would stop protecting them and just let them loos on the rest of the NRL clubs! :twisted:

thickos

First Grade
Smithy must dead set find the NRL so easy. Rock up each week and bag a couple of meat pies! 8)

As I've said before, naturally his ability to cross the stripe is a big asset but he has shown a lot of nous in defence, he's not a liability when the defence is running at him.

Here's some food for thought: Boogas has 5 tries in his career. Phil got 4 in his 4 games in FG this season, 24 in 33 games before this year. Smithy has 4 tries in 3 appearances. Does that tell you a little something about strike power????

jed

First Grade
I think Mundine will mane it, but he'll probably only ever play off the bench at this stage. Disco I'm not so sure of - I reckon he's great, a real character if you ever meet him, but I don't think he's going to go as well in 1st Grade. I'd be ecstatic if I was proven wrong though.

GreenGuy

16 William Zillman
17 Willie Raston
18 Willie Scanlon

That's part of the premier league bench this week. The future looks bright with a few young willies in green :? that's not funny is it? :p #-o

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Carney- The aquisition of J. Smith has thrown a spanner in the works. Still dont know whether he is a 5/8th or halfback. I would like to see 6. Macca and 7. Carney but Smith will likely get first crack. Should be a permanent fixture on our bench with Dobson taking the reigns in our PL side.

Weyman- Judging on last weeks effort this guy is gonna be something special. Took on the Warriors pack with great gusto and seems to relish playing first grade. If he continues this form and can remain on the paddock will be a key cog in our title aspirations.

Gafa- Going great guns. Has been playing almost as an extra centre (if that makes sense) Not really a organiser but very versatile and should be the first winger picked next year IMO.

Rothery- I've seaid before this guy reminds me of Ben Kennedy. Has a good offload and should cement a bench spot for next season.

Miller- Alan Tongue on steroids. This guy is a pocket dynamo. Hits the line hard. Still raw but bright future awaits.

Kahler- Has had limited oppurtunities but the club has big wraps on him. Need to see more of him.

Smith- Similar in build to J. Monas. Time will tell whether he has the same talent but so far looks the goods. Hasn't spent alot of time in the top grade but has taken the transition in his stride and nothing at the moment seems to daunt him. Good finisher.

Campese- looks like his future is in the forwards. I think he will eventually take over Croker's position. Good kicking game and should learn off the likes of J. Smith.

thickos

First Grade
Tidus_Raider said:
Carney- The aquisition of J. Smith has thrown a spanner in the works. Still dont know whether he is a 5/8th or halfback. I would like to see 6. Macca and 7. Carney but Smith will likely get first crack. Should be a permanent fixture on our bench with Dobson taking the reigns in our PL side.

Weyman- Judging on last weeks effort this guy is gonna be something special. Took on the Warriors pack with great gusto and seems to relish playing first grade. If he continues this form and can remain on the paddock will be a key cog in our title aspirations.

Gafa- Going great guns. Has been playing almost as an extra centre (if that makes sense) Not really a organiser but very versatile and should be the first winger picked next year IMO.

Rothery- I've seaid before this guy reminds me of Ben Kennedy. Has a good offload and should cement a bench spot for next season.

Miller- Alan Tongue on steroids. This guy is a pocket dynamo. Hits the line hard. Still raw but bright future awaits.

Kahler- Has had limited oppurtunities but the club has big wraps on him. Need to see more of him.

Smith- Similar in build to J. Monas. Time will tell whether he has the same talent but so far looks the goods. Hasn't spent alot of time in the top grade but has taken the transition in his stride and nothing at the moment seems to daunt him. Good finisher.

Campese- looks like his future is in the forwards. I think he will eventually take over Croker's position. Good kicking game and should learn off the likes of J. Smith.

Great post, summed it up nicely. I love the way Joshy Miller plays, I really do think he is going to be something special.

What a dream Smithy and Millsy had on their debuts. Tries with their first touch in the top grade. Incredible stuff. :) You couldn't have scripted it any better.

thickos

First Grade
kris_man said:
- Rothery sux

You're gonna have to back that up with some reasons. I think a lot of us here think he is a player with a great degree of potential, he hits the line hard and has a good step. He and Kahler will both be excellent players for us.

edabomb

First Grade
Rothery carves up. Big and strong.

I certainly agree kris_man has some odd perspectives.

Kris_man

Bench
Here's some food for thought: Boogas has 5 tries in his career. Phil got 4 in his 4 games in FG this season, 24 in 33 games before this year. Smithy has 4 tries in 3 appearances. Does that tell you a little something about strike power????
- Here's some more food for thought: Robertson has only scored 2 tries in his last 12 games. Last year, he scored only 3 tries in his 12 first grade games. Not impressive
- The reason I don't like Rothery, yet, is because he hasn't shown himself to be any more than a run of the mill back rower, and we've got enough run of the mill backrowers already. Someone compared him to Ben Kennedy, I think that's far from valid. BK blasted on to the scene in 1997 (or was it 1998?), and his talent was obvious. Conclusion: so far this season Rothery, although by no means being terrible, has been merely average.
Smith: Strong build and more than solid defender, potent finisher and possesses a sharpe step. Lack of speed worrys me but with a good off season and some sprint/acceleration work he will push for a first grade spot next season
- Speed is one of the few traits that cannot be developed.

edabomb

First Grade
Kennedy was 1996. But Kennedy was far more experienced than Rothery, having played rep union in Manly?? He was also 22, which would help him ready himself for first grade.

On Robertson, I agree. Hes a champ and gives his all, but in the NRL a winger needs to be scoring at least 10 tries a season, but more desirably 15 like Jamaal did last year.
You can say he scores less because he isn't outside Mogg, but Jamaal scored plenty last year from McLinden chips etc... We really miss his try scoring punch on the left IMO.

Edwahu

Bench
thickos said:
What a dream Smithy and Millsy had on their debuts. Tries with their first touch in the top grade. Incredible stuff. :) You couldn't have scripted it any better.

I hate to shatter the legend of Smithys first touch try but he took a run from dummy half the second tackle of the game. The commentators farked up.