What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone needs to remain calm!!!!

Ace-STi

Juniors
Yep agree av

Everything aside for 2 teams written off they have both started well and scoring plenty

Twenty10

Juniors
I agree, but at 18-16 we should have won. We had all the momentum but sam Williams brain explosions really hurt us. He'll be very lucky to be in the team next week

giboz71

First Grade
I think we're all forgetting how well the Broncos played. Plenty of strike in their forward pack with Gillett, Thaiday, Parker and co. Their forwards are attacking weapons. Hunt has surprised and they have Barba at the back.

If it wasn't for a meltdown against the Roosters, they'd be undefeated so they're clearly a form side. They would have beaten plenty of teams last night.

Kuro

Juniors
Agreed with Giboz71. Broncos played a pretty good game and were probably the team of the round along with Manly.

We have some things to fix but it's not all that bad. Next few weeks are going to be tough but if we are on the improve and can bounce back strong I'm still happy with how the team is travelling.

Also, look on the bright side. With the Bulldogs beating the Storm and Eels beating the Panthers, we will go into Round 5 still at the top of the ladder :p (unless Titans pull off a miracle).

Redvpassion

Juniors
Just had a look at the score for the storm v dogs game and the storm got hammered after leading 10-0.

They have Bellamy as their coach, still have their known halfback and fullback, same forwards, same backs but were only missing one player in Cameron smith.

Yeah he would be a massive loss to any team, but in saying that the dragons have had Dugan as our marquee player missing since Round 1, a new combination of halves and players and a coach who was or is under fire to get the team perfoming, was undefeated until lastnights game off the back of our own stupid defensive mistakes and unforced attacking errors.

The point I'm trying to make is this. it seems in comparison to Melbourne, that we have started off the season better than them and we don't reply on one player to win us games like Cameron smith.

We are a new team compared to a team who has been playing with eachother season after season and if you look at the table, we are still first and have a way better attacking and defending for and against. Thats the positive im taking out if this round. So I'm not panicking just yet. We can beat the bunnies. I believe so.

Last edited:

dino2170

Juniors
Its interesting but we will be still first at the end of this round due to a pathetic performance by melbourne. How can canterbury be under the salary cap.

By the way stanley is playing very good for canterbury better than he did for us

SET2JT

Juniors
Still think we are a bit inexperienced. Its a young team. We should have held on longer in the tackles close to our line and given away penalties instead of soft trys.

dino2170

Juniors
if quinlan gets dropped, because stanley is prices love child and williams is a new recruit, then he will get the shits and move to another club and then when he meets us he will run rings against us

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In all seriousness willow, Dugan comes back next week. What happens to Quinlan / Williams / Stanley.
Who gets dropped?

Form mine it cannot be Quinlan.
Yes, presumably Dugan will be back next week so for Quinlan it'll be more a question of where he can be slotted in if selected. He can play anywhere in the backline. I don't think he should be dropped if it can be avoided.

When is Witt coming back? Williams' position under threat from Witt (and perhaps even Quinlan).

Stanley is too slow at dummy half. I feel he cost us a lot of go forward on Friday night. Rein is the man for the job but it is the habit of modern coaches and the interchange to have two hookers. Maybe Witt can fill that role.

Rein's turnaround in form has been very good to see. Plus he did a truckload of tackles on the goal in the first 20 minutes, saved us being further behind imo.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I was calming down, but them I saw all those exclamation marks & I started to panic again.

I was calming down until I read your post. Now I'm really anxious.

All the players, their wives and families up to their third cousins on their Dad's side should be burned at the stake.

If their Dad was an only child, then a random stranger from Hurstville will be selected by the mob as we rampage through the suburbs demanding the blood of every first born son.

Still 1st last I looked and I'm stoked with our energy. Defence and last tackle options are an easy improve.

We'll be fine.

The Mighty Atom

Juniors
18-16 try after that a massive forward pass then try scored

Broncos constantly holding dragons players

Off side a lot first half and 1 call

The crowd was going ballistic whole time esp at offsides

The Broncos were holding us down all night and slowing up the play-the-ball. When we tackled you could hear the refs shouting "Hands off", "Let him up", but the Broncos were allowed to just lay all over us.

Our defence up the middle was suspect, again, but we did look good with ball in hand. The weak link, I would say, is Williams. He either needs more time to bed in, or bring Witt back as he seemed to create a lot against Wests.

bottle

Coach
I was relaxed until I read dino's post.
Now I'm having apoplexy about us possibly not re signing Quinlan.
I don't want to see him run rings around us. I really, really don't.

kit66

Bench
Has anyone noticed Quinlan's body language on the field ? He's like Mr. Casual, he does a run and gets up from the tackle with this bored look on his face or overruns a play ( backing up but no off-load ) then runs back onside with that same bored look. It's very disconcerting, very hard to remain calm about his apparent calmness.

Anyway we haven't played too well for the last 2 weeks so these are my coaching tips.
Make Widdop co - captain. On field Creagh runs the show in defence, he barks out the orders and the boys do what he says. Widdop controls the attack, including keeping Williams in line. At this stage Williams is too inexperienced to be given free reign. You don't want to stifle the kid completely but until he learns the importance of field position and maintaining momentum he needs to let his dance partner, Widdop lead ( the same way Cronk lead Widdop at the Storm ).

Forwards.
Our bench sucks. New bench - Stockwell or Cooper,Ah Mau, Harrison plus a utility be that Quinlan, Witt or god help us, Style.
Gives us a bit of size and power off the bench. Harrison has been overlooked but I think he's perfectly suited to the new rules, he has great line speed, defends well and his backing up is almost as good as Quinlan or Nightie's.
Starting pack - Frizell, Rein, Hunt up front, Creagh, Thompson, Merrin in the back row. We have to start well and adding Thompson can give us a bit more aggression early on.

Harsh reality - it might be hard to make room for Quin when Duges comes back. If you do put him on the bench it can't be as a second hooker so other option is Witt to 7 to be moved to 9 when Quin comes on ( to 7 ).

Minh

First Grade
Quinlan has been poor the last 2 games. To me he has looked like he has been trying to avoid contact.

Big fan of Quinlan, but I also noticed that too just by the way he is always looking to pass to other players as soon as he fields the ball at fullback. Is he injured or not 100% I wonder?