What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex Dragons Doing Well At Manly

The Damo

Juniors
Yeah. I would have sent him to an anger management course.

He is still playing in the NRL. We signed Packer, who was convicted of stopping on someone's head.

I am more concerned about on field than off field. The off field really isn't our business.

Did his partner keep him or leave him? That is what I would like to know?
If the off field isn’t our business, why do you want to know?
AFB’s crime was committed while under contract.
Packer was signed after he’d served punishment for his crime.
Not the same thing.

possm

Coach
Not the same thing.
I believe we should have kept AFB. We should have punished him with a fine and some time out of the game, then arranged some professional counselling. He could have then also been put on a warning 'not to re-offend'. Instead we cut him and hung him out to dry only for another club to pick him up probably on the promise not to re-offend.

It seems he has learned his lesson now and has had no off-field problems since.

The Damo

Juniors
I believe we should have kept AFB. We should have punished him with a fine and some time out of the game, then arranged some professional counselling. He could have then also been put on a warning 'not to re-offend'. Instead we cut him and hung him out to dry only for another club to pick him up probably on the promise not to re-offend.

Hung him out to dry?
I am all for second chances, and people can change and should be given the opportunity for redemption. And it seems he is doing that, and good on him if so.
That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be real consequences when they do wrong. Getting sacked and not having a contract for two years was part of the consequences as well as a conviction and 12 month suspended gaol sentence. All clubs should make it clear to players - get convicted for domestic or sexual or serious violence, get sacked.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think you’ll find the suspended jail sentence he has hanging over him plays a big role in that..

possm

Coach
Hung him out to dry?
I am all for second chances, and people can change and should be given the opportunity for redemption. And it seems he is doing that, and good on him if so.
That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be real consequences when they do wrong. Getting sacked and not having a contract for two years was part of the consequences as well as a conviction and 12 month suspended gaol sentence. All clubs should make it clear to players - get convicted for domestic or sexual or serious violence, get sacked.
Should there be a punishment for being caught DUI?

WepnutV

Juniors
My comment was all about how these players are performing well under a new coach. We have made our decisions and now need to continue to develop replacement players, there is no turning back, no regrets. Just the realisation that those who were not needed at our Club are indeed performing well at another Club.

Norman was not playing well at the Eels, Sims playing much better at the Dragons and our wingers are improving each game. All positive signs.
No you wrote if only our inept SGI management had the sense to keep these players and hire dasler its this comment i was replying to.. btw apparently theres a couple clubs that are intrested in the inept mcgregor

WepnutV

Juniors
Yeah. I would have sent him to an anger management course.

He is still playing in the NRL. We signed Packer, who was convicted of stopping on someone's head.

I am more concerned about on field than off field. The off field really isn't our business.

Did his partner keep him or leave him? That is what I would like to know?
She has stuck by him

possm

Coach
No you wrote if only our inept SGI management had the sense to keep these players and hire dasler its this comment i was replying to.. btw apparently theres a couple clubs that are intrested in the inept mcgregor
Great news, tell them they can have Mary and Aitken as a package deal.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Not the same thing.
Well if the victim of his crime continues to be with him, while his club has to sack him????????

The Damo

Juniors
Well if the victim of his crime continues to be with him, while his club has to sack him????????
What does that have to do with it?
She’s free to make her own choices. The standards she uses won’t be the same as the ones the club uses. Nor should they be, the club hasn’t had children with him, the club doesn’t love him.
Why would that matter?

Frank Facer

First Grade
What does that have to do with it?
She’s free to make her own choices. The standards she uses won’t be the same as the ones the club uses. Nor should they be, the club hasn’t had children with him, the club doesn’t love him.
Why would that matter?
Well the victim of his crime chooses to stay with him. We have to sack him. Which then becomes our massive lose and Manly's massive gain.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Literally and completely 100% irrelevant. Wtf

Laughing imagining a board meeting going on and the kicker being whether or not a player's partner stayed with him.

Do you think Ben Barba should not have been sacked by the Cowboys? Just because they are still together?

True_Believer

Juniors
This thread is like travelling back in time.

Firstly possm attempts to call out Millward and the club. Then makes an attempt to save face when the post doesn't go according to plan. Then claims we should have applied some insignificant fine for domestic violence. Then tries to justify it by comparing it to DUI.

The other fool is just living in the past.

BLM01

First Grade
Ex Dragons Addin Fonua-Blake, Reuben Garrick and Joel Thompson seem to be lapping up Des Hasler's coaching at Manly. If only our inept SGI management had the sense to keep these players and hire Hasler as our first grade coach when he was available.
Oh Possm..always seeking a negative and so off the mark
1. AFB was sacked and rightfully so after his crime, voilence or whatever it was with his Mrs and despite a good player is good for suspensions and a boof head on field. I'd like his body to still be with us in someone else's head.
2. Garrick is still pedestrian and a defensive liability. have not seen him scorch the turf yet and scored softish tries. We dont miss him.
3. Manly want to get rid of him also after this year. Thommo's time was great but he was done in our forward pack

The ones who are flourishing under Dessie is their hookers and DCE and surprise journeyman in Brendan Elliott
See how both sides go on Sat night. I'll be there in the stands to cheer em on

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So, you are attempting to say, that I said something, I didn't say, in this instance.
Not at all.

He was convicted of assaulting his fiancé (you can’t deny this as it’s there in judicial records..)

This is domestic violence.

But you say because she stuck with him, we should too?

I’m sorry, but DV is abhorrent and should no way be tolerated, even more so when the perpetrator is in the public eye.

I applaud the club for it’s stance as it sends a message that it’s not okay to hit women.

Saving a life and making the home a safe place for women and kids is far more important than winning a football game.