What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex Dragons Doing Well At Manly

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I watched the Sharks/ Roosters game last night and it confirmed for me what a good move it was for Dugan to be let go. While he made a couple of good runs and a tackle or two he looked so pedestrian compared to the guy we first picked up from the Raiders. Will he make the Sharks side if they get back to full strength?
I thought Garrick did well to score his try. I saw a bit of him in the lower grades and to be honest the only time he stood out was his very last game for the Dragons in the NSW Cup final last year when I thought he was great and was the go-to man.
Thommo was consistently good for us but now if we were at full strength he might not make the side.
I felt sorry for Kurt Mann not getting a proper go at the Dragons but he's having the same issue with the Knights.
Was not sure why Sele was not given more time last year because he was improving. With our forward injuries he would be useful now but would not get a game if we were at full strength.
Impressed by Herbert but where would he play given Mary's View on Aiken? Clearly with limited opportunities Zac has shown he has the goods.

WepnutV

Juniors
Ex Dragons Addin Fonua-Blake, Reuben Garrick and Joel Thompson seem to be lapping up Des Hasler's coaching at Manly. If only our inept SGI management had the sense to keep these players and hire Hasler as our first grade coach when he was available.
Who would you of got rid of instead of thompson.. tariq sims? Tyson frizell? No no no no no your wrong

Brutalitops

Juniors
Getting rid of Thompson has not hurt us in the slightest. I was a big fan of his but it made sense for all parties.

AFB I want nowhere near our club even if he was the best in history

Garrick was merely doing the standard stuff. Nothing to suggest we will be "kicking ourselves" later on. And both our wingers performances today were better by far

giboz71

First Grade
Garrick was getting defensively exposed at NSW Cup level. Even the Hull wingers at the trial last year just kept running past him.

Campbell Graham just flicked him off to score a try last week. His defence is shocking.

He’ll score a few tries this year but he’ll let in twice as many.

Kylez3

Juniors
Hasler completely screwed up the Bulldogs during his last few years at the club. You only have to look at how he handled recruitment and the salary cap at the club. Disgraceful.

I'd rather us look at other alternatives.

EDIT: Garrick was probably offered a starting spot in 1st grade and providing this was the case he was always going to sign with Manly knowing he is behind in the pecking order at St George.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Garrick is going alright for Manly on the wing. Out of him or Ravalawa it would be toss up.

Letting Thompson go was a great move. Tariq is a much better second rower than Thompson.

AFB is going to be one of the premier props in the game. I would probably be picking him for NSW this year. He is a massive lose

Brutalitops

Juniors
Garrick is going alright for Manly on the wing. Out of him or Ravalawa it would be toss up.
Objectively false when you compare stats.

AFB is going to be one of the premier props in the game. I would probably be picking him for NSW this year. He is a massive lose
Not sure you got the memo on why he was let go, but we don't want wife beaters in the Red V

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Garrick had bad hands. Fonua Blake had issues and thomo was looking for a long term deal.
Isn't Des one of the reasons Manly and Dogs had back ended contract and salary cap issues.

Fonua-Blake has issues? Geez, you couldn’t tell judging by the way he was sin binned over the weekend.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Ex Dragons Addin Fonua-Blake, Reuben Garrick and Joel Thompson seem to be lapping up Des Hasler's coaching at Manly. If only our inept SGI management had the sense to keep these players and hire Hasler as our first grade coach when he was available.

All the more reason to dislike them:

There is no greater indiscretion than to leave SGI for Manly, in my opinion.

Unquestionably, Hasler is > McGregor but you haven’t set the bar high there.

Walpole

Juniors

Letting Thompson go was a great move. Tariq is a much better second rower than Thompson.

So you would have kept Fonua-Blake?

possm

Coach
Who would you of got rid of instead of thompson.. tariq sims? Tyson frizell? No no no no no your wrong

My comment was all about how these players are performing well under a new coach. We have made our decisions and now need to continue to develop replacement players, there is no turning back, no regrets. Just the realisation that those who were not needed at our Club are indeed performing well at another Club.

Norman was not playing well at the Eels, Sims playing much better at the Dragons and our wingers are improving each game. All positive signs.

Frank Facer

First Grade
So you would have kept Fonua-Blake?
Yeah. I would have sent him to an anger management course.

He is still playing in the NRL. We signed Packer, who was convicted of stopping on someone's head.

I am more concerned about on field than off field. The off field really isn't our business.

Did his partner keep him or leave him? That is what I would like to know?

possm

Coach
Yes it would be very interesting to know what has happened between De Belin's partner and himself after he has given her his version of what happened that night.