What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex Nrl Star To Coach ?

Leek UK

Juniors
ellery hanley is set to be named the new GB coach.What a fantastic decision by the GB management.

GO ONE YOU ELLERY

:music1: :music1: :music1: :music1: :music1:

tiburon

Juniors
He was actually the first black individual to coach/manage a major national team (the GB rl side) anywhere in Great Britain back in 1994.

He has also coached at St Helens (99-00) and for two months at Castleford in 04. Also coached Bristol in union for a couple of years.

el magic

Juniors
Wont make the much better at all. I thought there current one was doing a good job but hey, if they would rather lose to Australia then win. Thats their choice :p

Bad decision IMO.

langpark

First Grade
Leek UK said:
ellery hanley is set to be named the new GB coach.What a fantastic decision by the GB management.

GO ONE YOU ELLERY

:music1: :music1: :music1: :music1: :music1:
a good player doesn't always mean a good coach. I think they should get Justin Morgan if they can, he's proven wat he can do with very limited resources

Leek UK

Juniors
langpark said:
a good player doesn't always mean a good coach. I think they should get Justin Morgan if they can, he's proven wat he can do with very limited resources

WTF:crazy:

Pistol

Coach
Hanley's personality may be the roadblock in his appointment. I remember reading he was quite aloof and didnt have a good relationship with the powers that be at St Helens

bartman

Immortal
TitaniumBD said:
Wont make the much better at all. I thought there current one was doing a good job but hey, if they would rather lose to Australia then win. Thats their choice :p

Bad decision IMO.
They had to change because they are appointing a full-time coach, and Noble has club commitments. Hanley would be an... interesting choice, out of left-field as he hasn't exactly spent a lot of time involved with league this decade.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/INTERNATIONAL/news_item.php?id=7349

Lewis: New GB coach in two weeks

The Rugby Football League have drawn up a shortlist and expect to appoint a new Great Britain coach within a fortnight, according to executive chairman Richard Lewis.

Lewis says the League received between 15 and 20 “serious” applications for the full-time post and, after whittling them down, have reached the interview stage.

Lewis declined to say how many candidates were on the shortlist but insisted the League are making good progress.

“We are getting to the final stages of the process,” he said. “I would say we are a couple of weeks away.

“There has been a lot of interest, which reflects the status of the position.

“We have drawn up a shortlist and are in the process of going through the interviews.”

Brian Noble was Great Britain coach from 2004 to 2006 after succeeding Australian David Waite, but his part-time contract was not renewed after the League opted to revert to a full-time coach.

However, Lewis acknowledged the coaching and administrative roles may have to be separated.

He also maintained his preference would be for a British coach but did not rule out another overseas appointment.

“We are looking at the Great Britain coaching position initially and then filling the other gaps after that,” he said. “We are hoping to make one appointment.

“I have always said that, if it was 50-50, we would go for a British coach but the bottom line is it’s the best person for the job.”

JasonE

Bench
I was hoping Sean Edwards would take on the job but if it came down to Hanley or Lydon then i'm not sure who i'd prefer just yet, one thing i am sure of is whoever gets the job must pick on form and not reputation in the mid season international.

deluded pom?

Coach
JasonE said:
I was hoping Sean Edwards would take on the job but if it came down to Hanley or Lydon then i'm not sure who i'd prefer just yet, one thing i am sure of is whoever gets the job must pick on form and not reputation in the mid season international.

Please don't mention L****'s name on here. As far as I'm aware L**** has never coached RL before. I remember when he joined the dark side and said he had no intention of poaching young RL players. Guess what one of the first things he did was. Ellery was one of if not the best all round RL player I've ever seen. Not just from a playing point of view but also his mental strength. His previous track record on the coaching front stands up well although as stated elsewhere he doesn't suffer fools gladly. I'd be happy to see him get the job. As for Schoey. He has absolutely no chance. He's far too outspoken for the establishment and besides he doesn't have much of a coaching record at the top level. This thread should also be retitled "Ex G.B. all time great to Coach"

bartman

Immortal
BBC is suggesting Tony Smith might have the job... interesting times ahead for Leeds if this is true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/6494011.stm

Smith set for Great Britain job
By Dave Woods

There is growing speculation that Leeds coach Tony Smith is set to be named as Great Britain supremo.

The Australian is rumoured to be appointed as the full-time successor to Brian Noble within the next week.

The 40-year-old Smith is out of contract with Leeds at the end of this season after four years in charge of the Headingley club.

Under his reign Leeds have won one Grand Final, been runner-up in another and reached one Challenge Cup final.

It is possible that his appointment to the Great Britain job could be with immediate effect.

This would put him in the role before a planned mid-season international against as yet unnamed opposition and the autumn Test series against New Zealand.

Smith took over as Leeds coach from Daryl Powell in November 2003 after a spell with the Huddersfield Giants.

He guided Leeds to their first Championship in 32 years in 2004 and the Rhinos went on to beat the Canterbury Bulldogs in the 2005 World Club Challenge at Elland Road.

Later that year they lost to Hull FC in the Challenge Cup final and to the Bradford Bulls in the Grand Final and they failed to win a trophy last season.

Others who have been linked with the GB post include Smith's fellow Australians Shaun McRae and John Lang and ex-Wigan centre Joe Lydon.

Former Wigan great Shaun Edwards, who is currently working with Wasps, ruled himself out of the running for family reasons.

Noble's part-time contract and those of his assistants Jon Sharp and Dave Lyon were not renewed after they expired on 31 December.

He succeeded former Newcastle Knights and St George Illawarra boss David Waite in 2004.

Pistol

Coach
Wat bout Mal Reilly or is he past it

or Karl Harrison

or the Warrington coach, Paul Cullen

bartman

Immortal
I think Cullen's ruled himself out, with club commitments. Possibly Harrison too. Shame, they'd be worth a shot.

Haven't heard of Mal Reilly for ages, I think he's been out of the game for a while?

bartman

Immortal
Well, Tony Smith taking it on part-time until his Rhino's contract ends... only on international game between now and then, so business as usual.

Will be interesting to see if being full time next year makes a difference, and who steps in after him at Leeds...

deluded pom?

Coach
bartman said:
Well, Tony Smith taking it on part-time until his Rhino's contract ends... only on international game between now and then, so business as usual.

Will be interesting to see if being full time next year makes a difference, and who steps in after him at Leeds...

One name already being mentioned is Justin Morgan. If this happens how will the Dobbins cope with the loss of their Messiah?

Latest posts